3rd Age/Spirit shields/Phats Discussion

bedman

They're trying to get them to 22k. Ranks are dumping at 14k. I would sell around then. DOUBLE CHECK FOR YOURSELF, this is just a pal of mine who's friends with one of the generals telling me this.

Personally I'll just keep my brews... I have a few thousand but I can't be bothered with selling them.

[bleep]ing manipulator scumbag mother[bleep]ing [bleep]s. Why can't Jagex ban these [bleep]ing [wagon]? This doesn't personally affect me because I don't consume brews at a regular rate, but the premise of raising something that is very commonly used from around 6k each to 14k each (over DOUBLE its price) is [bleep]ing ludicrous. EVERYBODY suffers just so some greedy [bleep]ing back-stabbing nerds can make bank. [bleep] Jagex for making a system as fatally flawed as the GE and [bleep] these scumbags for taking advantage of it.

You mad bro?

No, he's right imo.

Price manipulation hurts everyone except the ranks of that particular cc.

(and maybe some taking advantage of temporary higher prices)

99% unhappy, 1% happy (among them some RWT'ers who bought ranks in that cc) -> wrong imo.

Also, judging by the amount of rares Mr. Gandalf has (if his sig is accurate), he's probably one of them. :rolleyes:

Been playing since 2001, obtained all my discontinueds in my sig, not counting multiples prior to '07. If you want someone to blame, look no further than Jagex. It's their flawed GE system that allows manipulators to take advantage of these flaws and Jagex is too lazy to do anything about it. I don't like manipulators any more than the next guy but I've been around long enough to see Jagex's ineptitude in trying to create a far market system.

Ah, well I apologize for assuming, then. And yes, I'd actually be very afraid if Jagex did say they were working on trying to fix the loopholes in the GE that allow price manipulation-- Jagex has repeatedly shown they know very little about simple economics, and would therefore be likely to [bleep] things up worse than they already are if they tried to implement a "fix."

Kudos to a fellow '01 player, though :thumbsup: I was around for the tradable discontinued drops (including crackers) but traded all mine away before the end of RSC.

Opening crackers was a fun day. I actually dropped my phats (had 8 or so) for bank spaces for quest items. I didn't play all that much during the RSC days, but bought a couple phats when RS2 came out and have upgraded/bought more ever since.

mr__gandalf.png

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now obviously anything at this point would be speculation, but in the December BTS, Jagex plans on adding Damage Soaking to various armor pieces in game. The way they worded it, this will be different from Damage Reduction, A-La Divine and Elysian (Note the obvious omission of the two shields where they discuss it in the BTS).

However, I still see this affecting prices / street of both shields regardless.

Keep in mind, the somewhat difficult to obtain Dungeoneering shields have only 7% and 14% soaks on them, so I don't imagine the soaking they'll be adding to existing armor will be too high, unless they add new gear.

Any speculations on Divine and Ely?

ely will not nearly be as useful now i think.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I would immagine the spirit shields will still have lots of uses as jagex stated only damage splats over 200 will be affected. It also falls within reason that the shields were not intended to be the only damage reducers ever released and this may be a way to bring these advantages to the general public.

j_birdd.png

Its uncommon for me to be hit over 200 consistantly pvming, and with what im guessing the very best armor will only block ~10% of damage i dought this will make divs and elys crash a good rate faster.

Click here for all the good stuff

[hide]Drops: 2x Basilisk Head 1x KBD Heads 1x Bando's Tasset (FFA) 45x D Boots 1x D Legs 1x D Med 1x Visage (Fd) 40+Effigy 4x Whip 3x Claws 4x Elite Clues

Barrows: 1x Karil's Top 2x Ahrim's Top 1x Guthan's Spear 1x Guthan's Skirt 1x Karil's X bow 1x Verac's Brassard 1x D Med 1x Guthan's Platebody 1x Karil's Coif 1x Torag's Hammers

Corp: 1x Arcane Split 1x Missed Arcane

DK: 6x Zerker 2x Warrior 8x Hatchet 1x Seercul 2x Mud Staff 2x Seers 4x Archer

Achievements:

99 Attack 6/20/10 101,194th 99 Cooking 7/20/10 122,253rd 99 Magic 9/7/10 71,666th 99 HP 9/9/10 101,964th

99 Range 11/6/10 74,927th 99 Strength 11/7/10 164,778th 99 Defence 12/5/10 92,351st 2,100 Total 11/25/10

Firecape 8/3/10 Extremes 8/14/10 Turmoil 9/26/10 Rapier 10/15/10

http://www.youtube.com/user/Greg2952

[/hide]

Yeah me too. With so much dmg soaking possibilities, everything that mattered to elys and divines will all be forgotten.

Who says additional damage soaking ability will not be available to either the ely or the divine, or both? If the damage soaking is something added to shields, then it may well be able to be added to any shield.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Who says additional damage soaking ability will not be available to either the ely or the divine, or both? If the damage soaking is something added to shields, then it may well be able to be added to any shield.

Exactly my thoughts, although i think both ely and divine will be less useful(although they'll till be the most useful shields) from ~now on(also, it's worth noting that the damage reduction works for select combat classes, where as ely and divine both always work).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Any thoughts on what this update is likely to do to the Arcane, if anything?

Virtually nothing, I'd imagine. It's mostly for the magic attack bonus anyway, which is hardly affected by this update. Though I suppose if items have combat triangle-based soak it may have no ranged soak and therefore be slighly less attractive to use as a tanking piece. But that's just speculation.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Any thoughts on what this update is likely to do to the Arcane's price, if anything?

It depends how the shield is set up with the damage soak update. If the arcane gets, say a 12% soak from melee attacks over 200, that would slightly raise the price. Although this may be trumped by the DFS which could have similar soaking abilities, and better melee stats to begin with. The same could be said for spectral. It's really hard to say how much of an impact the absorb update will have on prices of anything until we actually see the numbers they knock off.

Off-topic to Ely and Divine. Ely and Divine are, and always will be, prime MH'ing tools for high level solo'ers. Even if the every day Joe does not need the extra absorption from a Ely or Divine, Solo'ers will always covet these two shields since taking less damage is always better. The only situation where the shields would become useless is if you could get enough healing to not eat any food besides uni or bunyip via normal armor absorption. So I really cant see Ely or Divine being put on the shelf after the whole "pre-update, its gunna get nerfed!" craze is over. If they do drop, Ely will be the first to go. Divine is just to valuable as a MH weapon to fall below 400-500m. They might lose their street value though, but most of the street value is the shields rarity, and not its usefulness.

Yeah me too. With so much dmg soaking possibilities, everything that mattered to elys and divines will all be forgotten.

Meh, they will either be increased, or still be the best damage soaking shields by quite a long shot.

Of course, they will still have the disadvantage of prayer drain, at least div will.

O.O

Meh, they will either be increased, or still be the best damage soaking shields by quite a long shot.

Of course, they will still have the disadvantage of prayer drain, at least div will.

There used to be a great thread on the RSOF that proved mathematically that the divine's prayer drain is negligible. The only difference is a couple extra prayer potions (depending on what you're doing, of course).

My guess is that Elysians will be severely affected and Divines will be pretty safe, UNLESS both shields gain further damage reduction, which is possible.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Ely is going for cash+junk on rsof

I expect it to stabilize below 500M... it's WAY overpriced for its capabilities

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

DFS is unbuyable at max. Ffs I waited too long :thumbdown:

Aw damnit, knew that was gonna happen. Intended to merch them but waited too long.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Aw damnit, knew that was gonna happen. Intended to merch them but waited too long.

They'll crash again in 2-3 days :thumbup:

Yeah I know, I'm just not sure if they'll get bought out again or as hard after that.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

They'll crash again in 2-3 days :thumbup:

Yeah I know, I'm just not sure if they'll get bought out again or as hard after that.

Eh, they will, they always do, it just wont be as much profit :(

(I was gonna do the same thing lol)

Sumondskull6.png