12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

I think a lot depends on your playing style. I'd almost rather end up with someone who didn't entirely know what they were doing than one of those "Wall street executive" players who are always in the biggest damned hurry and are constantly telling you what to do to try to get through the level 5 seconds faster. No patience for that BS -- if I feel the need to be ordered around, I can talk to my wife. ;)

hmm one of the first things i semi agree w/ qeltar on .

u can make up for someone who doesnt know what they are doing ussually but people that are screaming during 5:5 small dont kill monsters dont kill dont kill and get mad at people getting ready for boss arent fun to party w/ either.

Guy I was playing with was cool with me kitting up though. Not everyone who knows what they are doing are going to scream at you for doing something they wouldnt. :P

Do agree though, people who get mad at you for like killing a monster or not rushing the boss are annoying.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one and only time I did a 5:5 large, the team "leader" let everyone run around like chickens with their heads cut off, while he continuously whined that he wanted a tier 9 or 10 torn bag to make a BoB. I found one, and took the time to bring it to him. He was goofing around, nothing was organized; the floor was getting done but not quickly.

Then suddenly, Captain Chaos decides he's in a big hurry to kill the boss. I tell him I need a minute to get ready, and he marches off with a couple of his friends and just does the boss without me.

That's the last 5:5 map I've done and probably will ever do. They can have the fast XP: I don't play games to get stressed out.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

The one and only time I did a 5:5 large, the team "leader" let everyone run around like chickens with their heads cut off, while he continuously whined that he wanted a tier 9 or 10 torn bag to make a BoB. I found one, and took the time to bring it to him. He was goofing around, nothing was organized; the floor was getting done but not quickly.

Then suddenly, Captain Chaos decides he's in a big hurry to kill the boss. I tell him I need a minute to get ready, and he marches off with a couple of his friends and just does the boss without me.

That's the last 5:5 map I've done and probably will ever do. They can have the fast XP: I don't play games to get stressed out.

And I don't care how slow the exp is, it's why I'll only ever solo this crap.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Honestly, most 5:5 teams I've been on are pretty good. Its fun to talk with others and socialize while going through the dungeon. If I was soloing (like I did from 1-60) I felt like it was a chore and grind. In 5:5 larges, it tends to be more challenging and fun. I usually do the keys since I can maintain a relatively fast pace while not stressing the team out as well. My average time doing a floor is like 45 minutes now and usually the team are all pretty happy by the time we are done. Faster xp and funner dungeon = win win for me.

120dgl.jpg

I don't play games to get stressed out.

But stress can be fun.

Riding a roller coaster.

Playing a video game on the highest difficulty setting

both are very stressful AND fun.

The pressure of saving those last few minutes in a dungeon is the best part.

if you're not looking for stress, you should go train woodcutting.

Naaxi.png

I think a lot depends on your playing style. I'd almost rather end up with someone who didn't entirely know what they were doing than one of those "Wall street executive" players who are always in the biggest damned hurry and are constantly telling you what to do to try to get through the level 5 seconds faster. No patience for that BS -- if I feel the need to be ordered around, I can talk to my wife. ;)

hmm one of the first things i semi agree w/ qeltar on .

u can make up for someone who doesnt know what they are doing ussually but people that are screaming during 5:5 small dont kill monsters dont kill dont kill and get mad at people getting ready for boss arent fun to party w/ either.

Guy I was playing with was cool with me kitting up though. Not everyone who knows what they are doing are going to scream at you for doing something they wouldnt. :P

Do agree though, people who get mad at you for like killing a monster or not rushing the boss are annoying.

Then why do slow ppl like you always join when I specifically state it's a RUSH in my RSOF threads? If you're slow and killing monsters for no reason, then yea I'll be pissed; you're wasting my time, after all.

The core issue is that, for the most part, RS is inhabited by short-sighted, greedy children. This is why all "team-based" minigames have been so goddamn frustrating. Forcing people to depend on random players is a recipe for disaster, given how selfish and rebelliously uncooperative how many people who play this game are.

They really need to compensate the soloers with an exp boost only available in solo, since you lose out on such a massive amount of base floor and base prestige exp by not being able to do med/large maps. I think that a bonus of 1.5% times the floor level would be fair. That means at F35, you'd get a 52% bonus, which still won't give better exp than a large 5 man, but it would definitely be much fairer.

td2sig.jpg

Honestly, most 5:5 teams I've been on are pretty good. Its fun to talk with others and socialize while going through the dungeon. If I was soloing (like I did from 1-60) I felt like it was a chore and grind. In 5:5 larges, it tends to be more challenging and fun. I usually do the keys since I can maintain a relatively fast pace while not stressing the team out as well. My average time doing a floor is like 45 minutes now and usually the team are all pretty happy by the time we are done. Faster xp and funner dungeon = win win for me.

I played with you, you did great :-)

I've never had a problem player on a 5:5. The only player who has come close to being a "problem" was this level 120 something who was max except for extremely low Defense (38-45 or so...?) who didn't want to get wrecked by the monsters. He got mad at me a lot since I was the team leader and would lead the rest to clear out dead-end rooms that had high level resources in them.

On a 3:3 though, with friends... Lol... The lowest of us accidentally ran into the boss room. None of us were exactly prepared... But my other friend and I ran in behind him anyway. When the boss turned to attack us, he home teleported. :rolleyes: He actually got enough time for it to work, too.

This was on that boss Harlok the Riftsplitter. AKA Barnie.

Repentance was given to me later though, for that particular friend. We were fighting Lexicus the librarian. I believe that I rushed in, partially prepared, and my friend followed. I was about to die for lack of food so I said "Feed me!!" and my friend used food on me. I then escaped just in time for a book barrage to land and KO my buddy.

Priceless moments.

Anyone else think that the shade room and book mage are hella overpowered on 5:5s?

2dgucz6.png

Another question; how do you guys find teams when your main partners/friends aren't online? I just personally go to World 2 and hope for the best, but is there any Clan Chats out there that helps with team creation?

I've never had a problem player on a 5:5. The only player who has come close to being a "problem" was this level 120 something who was max except for extremely low Defense (38-45 or so...?) who didn't want to get wrecked by the monsters. He got mad at me a lot since I was the team leader and would lead the rest to clear out dead-end rooms that had high level resources in them.

On a 3:3 though, with friends... Lol... The lowest of us accidentally ran into the boss room. None of us were exactly prepared... But my other friend and I ran in behind him anyway. When the boss turned to attack us, he home teleported. :rolleyes: He actually got enough time for it to work, too.

This was on that boss Harlok the Riftsplitter. AKA Barnie.

Repentance was given to me later though, for that particular friend. We were fighting Lexicus the librarian. I believe that I rushed in, partially prepared, and my friend followed. I was about to die for lack of food so I said "Feed me!!" and my friend used food on me. I then escaped just in time for a book barrage to land and KO my buddy.

Priceless moments.

Anyone else think that the shade room and book mage are hella overpowered on 5:5s?

The monolith room (I assume that's what you mean by Shade room) is very, very random. Sometimes, it'll never spawn more than 3 at once, and with a bit of focus fire they're dispatched fairly easily (choose the targets carefully, kill the shades targeting those with lower hp, prayer, and less food first after everyone first strikes a different shade to get their attention). Othertimes, it'll spawn four level 133s which will proceed to demolish your whole team. I hate this room.

Lexicus Runewright isn't that "overpowered" though. It just requires more coordination with more people. With 5 people, the tomes become overwhelming very quickly so have one person dedicated to taking them out. Most players prefer melee attacks, which work fine on Lexicus. Just spread around when attacking him, and run away from him (not towards each other) and book barrage is relatively harmless. Alternatively, drop a gatestone outside. Every time he book barrages, teleport out, drop a new gatestone and go back in. :P

Then why do slow ppl like you always join when I specifically state it's a RUSH in my RSOF threads? If you're slow and killing monsters for no reason, then yea I'll be pissed; you're wasting my time, after all.

I feel some hatred being focused towards myself even though I never said anything about joining people who say they are rushing.

Is it normal to get letters from normal monsters? First one ive ever gotten.

166x8u8.png

The journals: yes...

The notes on each boss (I believe each boss has a specific "journal entry") not

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

You knew stomp will "break" the rocks if you stand futher way from him - He will throw at you which breaks all rocks around you? (from the pic it seems like that wasn't the first time he dropped rocks..)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

The reason people have problems with monsters like shades and Lexi -- we're on a first name basis -- is that nearly everyone runs around in big wonking plate armor. High magic defence is very important against these sorts of bosses. With a good leather body and protection from ranged, even the high level shades are not that tough.

Lexi can certainly be a pain, and I haven't done him in a 5:5, but again, good magic defence counts for a lot. Trying to have one player kill all the books seems like a good strategy, but it is dangerous for that player as he/she won't usually be around Lexi and won't hear the warning before the barrages start.

For Stomp, ensure you let him break rocks with his ranged attack, and use a gatestone in front of one of the lodestones if you aren't able to get it the first time.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

The core issue is that, for the most part, RS is inhabited by short-sighted, greedy children. This is why all "team-based" minigames have been so goddamn frustrating. Forcing people to depend on random players is a recipe for disaster, given how selfish and rebelliously uncooperative how many people who play this game are.

They really need to compensate the soloers with an exp boost only available in solo, since you lose out on such a massive amount of base floor and base prestige exp by not being able to do med/large maps. I think that a bonus of 1.5% times the floor level would be fair. That means at F35, you'd get a 52% bonus, which still won't give better exp than a large 5 man, but it would definitely be much fairer.

That's what some high level clan chats are for. I've only been disappointed once in a 5-man, and that was when I joined a random group who invited randoms themselves.

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

I feel some hatred being focused towards myself even though I never said anything about joining people who say they are rushing.

Nah it wasn't directed specifically at you.

I played with you, you did great :-)

Played with her(?) a few times too, someone that knows what they're doing :thumbup:

Lexi can certainly be a pain, and I haven't done him in a 5:5, but again, good magic defence counts for a lot. Trying to have one player kill all the books seems like a good strategy, but it is dangerous for that player as he/she won't usually be around Lexi and won't hear the warning before the barrages start.

just to add on this note.

familiars are a huge help against the books

spam the call familiar button. any familiar, even BOB's will 1hit all the books. just call, let it attack a book, and call it again.

and erm, plate armor + long bow + pray mage is a great combo against lex.

longbows have such great attack bonus and lex has such weak range def that it just rips through lexi's armor anyways.

the battle shouldn't last long enough for your prayer to run out, unless you have a prayer lvl less than 50. Just make sure you find an altar.

Naaxi.png

The reason people have problems with monsters like shades and Lexi -- we're on a first name basis -- is that nearly everyone runs around in big wonking plate armor. High magic defence is very important against these sorts of bosses. With a good leather body and protection from ranged, even the high level shades are not that tough.

For Stomp, ensure you let him break rocks with his ranged attack, and use a gatestone in front of one of the lodestones if you aren't able to get it the first time.

disagree

1. pray mage anyways

2. there isnt dhide or karils type armor u can just put on, more like arma, all mage and range armor gives horrible...in fact negative, melee boosts

a_final_name.png

You knew stomp will "break" the rocks if you stand futher way from him - He will throw at you which breaks all rocks around you? (from the pic it seems like that wasn't the first time he dropped rocks..)

Hmm, il try that. This picture was before the summoning combat change though. Have had him a few times after that which werent nearly as bad as that fight.

It was the second time he made rocks fall btw.

As I'm nearing (sorta) the lvl 50 ability to bind 2 pieces of equipment, I'm wondering, as I currently have 1 Grave creeper longbow + 125 Promethium arrows p++ bound, should I bind:

1) A Tyrranoleather body, to further boost my Range abilities?

2) A second weapon to allow for easy switching between styles (ie: Katagon spear p++ or a High-tier magic staff)?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Bind the best spear you can use and the best platebody you can use. Range and mage are terrible there. 70 70 70 melees is better than 99 range.

They did a good job of much better balancing the combat triangle in Dun, but ranged is underpowered because the arrows have too low ranged strength. Hopefully they'll fix that.

I have a promy spear and a tyrannoleather hide body bound (after having a promy plate). The leather body does give small penalties when meleeing, but I find its combination of ranged boost, lower mage penalties and balanced defence more useful for the same reason the spear is useful -- flexibility. Most bosses, in particular, are much easier to fight in hide.

signew2.png

As I'm nearing (sorta) the lvl 50 ability to bind 2 pieces of equipment, I'm wondering, as I currently have 1 Grave creeper longbow + 125 Promethium arrows p++ bound, should I bind:

1) A Tyrranoleather body, to further boost my Range abilities?

2) A second weapon to allow for easy switching between styles (ie: Katagon spear p++ or a High-tier magic staff)?

You could consider a Promethium Chainbody. It gives great melee Defense and no Ranged penalties...

2dgucz6.png