12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

Also with the smaller maps if someone leaves, its no big deal. On a large map if someone leaves 1/4 or 1/2 way through, your SOL. With less people on the map on a 5:5 the chance of death is much higher which brings me to my next point...

The big kicker is death. Even on a good team, on a large 5:5 map there is the chance of death. If you have 4 or less because people leave it becomes increasingly riskier. 2 shades and a 100+ brute will wreck you. On a small map the chance for death is dramatically lower, so you have little chance to get any penalties. This alone can make smaller maps quicker than the 5:5 large since your not getting a -8% or more for your xp/hr.

These are valid points not often made.

Everyone loves to cherry pick those big 5:5 XP reward screens and paste them on forums. But they don't talk about all of the messed up floors, and ones where people leave, or bosses that KO one player leading to a cascade effect, and so on.

People who like big maps also don't talk much about the time required to contact players, arrange times to play, coordinate things and so forth. Even when you have a group of friends you like playing with, it's common to run into scheduling issues, this one has to go have dinner, that one has an appointment, etc.

I don't deny that playing in a group is faster. But I don't think it's as much faster as some people portray it to be. And even though I primarily solo, I think team play *should* give more XP, to compensate for the annoyance factor.

I rarely run into problems with people dying.

I mean there are typically deaths on teams, but they usually aren't me.

Even if your team has a "cascade death" which I've never experienced, a gatestone can still save you.

i used to get 5 man teams by contacting friends.

It turns out that so many players with 2400+ total are looking for groups, that the RSOF has actually become a great place to recruit.

During good hours, you can get a 5 man team going in a matter of 4 minutes so long as you are 130+ combat.

I've gotten into 2 of the groups so far. One took 50 minutes, the other took 60 minutes.

try it, I didnt bother trying the RSOF until today but I have to say, it's pretty awesome.

maybe it's just small sample size. But you can weed out most of the noobs and griefers by requiring 130+ combat and doing floors 29-35.

Snobbery at its best.... :rolleyes:

newsigb.png

99 Attack - Done

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, as someone who has been using the primal maul for quite a while now:

I just remade my promethium spear, and my god... it's so much better it's unreal. The maul absolutely dominated monsters like skeletons, shades, ghosts, and certain bosses, but on others it would hit so infrequently it was quite infuriating. But the thing is, even though the maul has 80 more crush attack, it really isn't THAT much better than the spear on those monsters weak to crush. In dungoneering it seems each monster has a weakness that is so profound that it dosen't matter quite that much how much accuracy you have. And on the styles they are not weak to... they're like a freaking brick wall. Maul is horrible against those monsters. The best example of this is mages. They are weak to slash. Maul hit so many zeroes on them it's pathetic. But once I switched back to spear and used the slash attack, even though it's less than half the maul's crush accuracy, it hits so much better...

Basically I have underestimated the value of versatility in the dungeons. Maul, while it is indisputably best for monsters weak to crush, it is pretty horrible on anything else. Besides, it's slower, and cannot be poisoned.

I don't use a maul because of monsters weak to crush... I use it because the animation creates a significant delay between when the attack is "complete" (allowing me to move) and when the damage is dealt (which is when the monster can react). You can really mess with the AI of several enemies in the dungeon with the maul.

Versatility is great, but I've found that with 3 spear users and a ranger on the team already, another spear really isn't the best option. Instead I opted for Maul / Staff.

But yea, anyone who thinks Maul wins because of DPS (even against crush-weak enemies) is just kidding themselves...

I don't use a maul because of monsters weak to crush... I use it because the animation creates a significant delay between when the attack is "complete" (allowing me to move) and when the damage is dealt (which is when the monster can react). You can really mess with the AI of several enemies in the dungeon with the maul.

Versatility is great, but I've found that with 3 spear users and a ranger on the team already, another spear really isn't the best option. Instead I opted for Maul / Staff.

But yea, anyone who thinks Maul wins because of DPS (even against crush-weak enemies) is just kidding themselves...

Yeah, kiting enemies can be quite fun. But anyway I solo, so spear is better for me. Monsters I used to kite like level 100+ warriors I eventually ended up just maging, because even vs warriors with platebodies, maul would take so long to kill them that I might as well just make an air staff and some death + blood runes and blast them. Even wearing melee armor I hit them just about every time with mage.

Well I'm not maxed out at all....

But really it seems being "maxed" is a requirement to play this skill

Yes I know I can always solo, but isn't the game supposed to be about team play?

Currently having even stats of around 80-90 gets me into no teams at all... (other than the ones who have been shouting like half an hour / random strangers who don't trust anybody and hog up all resources).

Really: 43 pray & 99 are almost the same in effectiviness (not too many people use turmoil on bosses & you can refill pray easily).

I always mage (even though magic is my lowest stat), and I literary hardly ever miss (while wielding prome plate), the monster styles are so weak against each type that "accuracy" is hardly a problem (so attack/magic stat is quite useless).. Also defense is pretty useless (there's more than enough food + prayer always at hand)

But despite these: isn't it absurt you need 13M in 4 skill before you are accepted? - Really why do you have to "beat" the game before you are accepted. This way casual players (who only play several hours <5 a week) are going to be completely left out!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

It is not because your skills suck. If you're skills suck, the dungeon will be much easier to make up for you lagging the team behind. The fact is that most low levels are complete idiots at dungeoneering (not all), and most people know that. They don't want to risk having a complete idiot lagging around the team doing nothing.

Yes I know I can always solo, but isn't the game supposed to be about team play?

Currently having even stats of around 80-90 gets me into no teams at all... (other than the ones who have been shouting like half an hour / random strangers who don't trust anybody and hog up all resources).

Really: 43 pray & 99 are almost the same in effectiviness (not too many people use turmoil on bosses & you can refill pray easily).

I always mage (even though magic is my lowest stat), and I literary hardly ever miss (while wielding prome plate), the monster styles are so weak against each type that "accuracy" is hardly a problem (so attack/magic stat is quite useless).. Also defense is pretty useless (there's more than enough food + prayer always at hand)

But despite these: isn't it absurt you need 13M in 4 skill before you are accepted? - Really why do you have to "beat" the game before you are accepted. This way casual players (who only play several hours <5 a week) are going to be completely left out!

Jagex designed the skill to cater more to those with maxed levels than lower levels. It is "an end-game skill." Meaning, it is a skill meant for those at or close to the end of the game, skill-wise.

td2sig.jpg

Snobbery at its best.... :rolleyes:

I'm a snob for saying that there are lot of 2400+ total lvl players ready willing to dung with anybody with over 130 combat? <_<

Yeah. its not exactly anything new that high levels prefer to do things with other high levels...

Dungeoneering just involves every skill in the game simply on a larger scale.

and besides. there are Disadvantages to being on a team of high levels if you are a low level.

as a level 114 (10? with summoning), I don't want to have to plow through legions of monsters at a higher level than me. fight a boss that can 2.5 hit me and have every skill i currently have right now rendered real useless.

and it doesn't cater to those with high levels. its just that high levels pretty much have the rest of the game beat and have (relatively) nothing to do but dung. So there tend to be more high levels. (from my experience)

It is not because your skills suck. If you're skills suck, the dungeon will be much easier to make up for you lagging the team behind. The fact is that most low levels are complete idiots at dungeoneering (not all), and most people know that. They don't want to risk having a complete idiot lagging around the team doing nothing.

This is the exact reason. When people invite you into their team they are risk taking, in terms of you might suck/lag the team, or help the team. More often than not; people with 130+ cb are going to be a better gamble.

I for one know that waiting for a team can take a long time. But having someone in your team that doesn't know what they're doing can make the dungeon take a whole lot longer. Not to mention people with lower than 130 are alot less likley to do damage on some of the higher level monsters and take alot more damage than a 130+ would. Therefore, using more of the teams' food.

gypsyeater.png

Hmm, I don't get why you wouldn't get invited in a team. I myself am combat 133 and I usually invite people as low as 90 and still get about 19k experience on, for example, f25 large. I'm not sure if this is all that good, but the dungeons don't take longer than an hour either. Anyhow, I guess you should be looking for people like me, who do not care about slightly worse experience. You might even want to make a team yourself ;)

EDIT: Never had any troubles with dem low levels either :D

Hmm, I don't get why you wouldn't get invited in a team. I myself am combat 133 and I usually invite people as low as 90 and still get about 19k experience on, for example, f25 large. I'm not sure if this is all that good, but the dungeons don't take longer than an hour either. Anyhow, I guess you should be looking for people like me, who do not care about slightly worse experience. You might even want to make a team yourself ;)

You haven't been playing long enough then. Not only are most lvl 120- complete idiots/leeches, but quite often they have mommy yelling at them because it's time to do hw/sleep/their PC time is up and have to leave in the middle of the game, leaving you pretty much screwed.

cant wait till batch 2, im all ready to go for f36 now, i got all 35 completed without reseting and im 71 dung so im good to go as one of the first to complete 36

i also hope theres a primal spear boss at aorund 80

and a new binding system thats a bit more leaniant, possible buying ability to bind more, or keep boss drops for several rounds

a_final_name.png

Maybe something like slayer, where you buy the ability to? That would be pretty cool.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

The key to the ferret trapping is to make multiple traps -- people don't realize you can make more than one. Use the special tree that grows in the room. Put them as close as possible to the corners and then just flush it until it goes into one.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

cant wait till batch 2, im all ready to go for f36 now, i got all 35 completed without reseting and im 71 dung so im good to go as one of the first to complete 36

i also hope theres a primal spear boss at aorund 80

and a new binding system thats a bit more leaniant, possible buying ability to bind more, or keep boss drops for several rounds

I'd say the binding system is OK. Binding is just a small advantage so the skill doesn't get too frustrating. (kind of relates to using pouches for runecrafting.)

We don't need to overdo it.

The key to the ferret trapping is to make multiple traps -- people don't realize you can make more than one. Use the special tree that grows in the room. Put them as close as possible to the corners and then just flush it until it goes into one.

Theres a little "trick" in the ferret puzzle where the ferret goes into one of the holes, you immediately click on the door and then you should be able to enter without catching the ferret. seriously, it works.

Theres a little "trick" in the ferret puzzle where the ferret goes into one of the holes, you immediately click on the door and then you should be able to enter without catching the ferret. seriously, it works.

it was patched.

I think a wall of traps would work well. the ferret just needs to run past one.

Naaxi.png

yes i want to be able to use my tokens on something that actualy benifits my dung abilitys, like slayer points

idea:

25k, ability to bind 1 extra item, much have reached floor 12

50k, ability to bind 2 extra items, must have reached floor 24, must have bought the 25k version

100k tokens, ability to bind 3 extra items, 1 extra ammo, increased ammo binding limit to 250, must have beat floor 35, must have bought the 50k version

its hard to get but 5 primal items bound would be epic to say the least, actualy id go spear, blood ammy, guantlets, boots, plate for max offence...then smith prom helm and legs

60k tokens, but some sort of auto binded cape wearable in dungeons, something thats decent like 10 prayer bonus

a_final_name.png

it was patched.

There's some other bug in the maze room. I was able to go through a door before anyone reached the middle of the maze.

it was patched.

There's some other bug in the maze room. I was able to go through a door before anyone reached the middle of the maze.

I noticed this too. I was with a group the other day, and they called me a noob for trying to get to the center to shut off the gas while they all ran through the door into the next room. I just told them they were stupid, cause it would really suck to have the room full of gas if they had to come back through it later. They still thought I was a noob. :rolleyes:

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what drops the blood necklace?

I've read that the Edimmu does.

confirmed. I wasn't fast enough to pick it up though. Which is kinda nice, cuase i now still have a goal with something i want to bind over the items i currently have :D

<>

You haven't been playing long enough then. Not only are most lvl 120- complete idiots/leeches, but quite often they have mommy yelling at them because it's time to do hw/sleep/their PC time is up and have to leave in the middle of the game, leaving you pretty much screwed.

Maybe you are right, I guess I just have to wait and see :)