Dungeonsweepers (DGS) - Huge changes; read first post.

Obtaurian

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there dgs :)

Just wondering if theres any tips/techniques going on improving keying times, at the moment I seem consistently stuck in the 30-40 minute range

I write down everyones gates and every time I hit a room with lots of key doors I tend to write that down too, so keeping track of where doors are isnt a big problem

I make a point of picking all herbs I see ofc, when pot doors happen they dont tend to be a problem either.

How significant a benefit will making sure I get my team to make ragers (I'm usually the one that does this when dps) make?

Gd time might be a problem, and I've noticed that when I've had someone that really knows what they're doing and directs people through the GDs right it really does make a difference

Obviously I understand the more keying I do, the better I should get, just really looking for any tips/tricks that work well for you that I could try?

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

I'm obviously not the best keyer but im the opposite to you.

Im very good at moving the gt through gd's but always get mixed up with who gated what door and what specific keys are there :P

so lets do more floors together wingmanning/keying haha :P

anyway the trick to fast keying as far as i can tell is simply to keep the gt moving whenever u can, have the next gd marked/gated and ready to go. everything will fall into place eventually, always does for me :)

try not to personally gate a key door unless you're sure its coming soon or theres nothing else to really gate.

Then the next thing is knowing when to tell the team to do what.. also try not to pick up herbs but say, 'loot magebane' or whatever. Also let other people carry the gt occasionally whilst you obviously find and follow other paths

If its 1 wayed it doesnt matter not much you can do

my average is like 26-30minutes mainly because i key abandons these days (and new people/learners are common there) so I'd hope im getting better :)

@Ezkaton, a few pages back. (Sorry, been busy with irl work lately).

The 14 minute pic I posted, we all suicided and it wasn't even me keying :-?

But anyway, you know I take you into my floors, I never exclude people. In my teams, it's first come first serve. I've even denied Jimi a spot, because of my team being full.

As far as the keyer logs go, I really don't care much. I haven't updated mine in a while (probably because I haven't keyed in a while), but when I do, my average time will go up, because I haven't done "pro floors" lately. Doesn't bother me tbh, it's not the keyer logs that show a keyer is good. Sure, I like fast floors, but I'd rather key a 27 minute floor with everyone saying "nice floor," than a 22 minute where everyone's been yelled at.

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

@ Octa

Another big important thing to keying is map reading, you need to check your map often to see which things are likely to denk, which paths will branch a lot, etc.

And based off that you generally want to branch off paths first (unless no gates).

So for example when the group's path is about to denk you get someone to hold the gt for the next gd.

You also choose which teammates to take the biggest path, i.e. higher total or competance should be given more doors / area.

You also should remember which paths aren't the critical path, and try and do the critical path first. i.e. required a potion to do (and all the keys that were in that path).

(Sometimes you will want to start the boss asap, like necrolord for example or if people are running last doors)

Oh and unless a gd leads to another gd you don't want to have everyone exploring the same area if there's another gd gated. You have someone gate the exploration path and everyone but you gtgd while you explore the area. If you have no free gate have someone else explore the area and do the gd. You're pretty much trying to make it so people are always doing gds.

siggya.png

I want Ramo-less floors.

Ps. Tui - I hope you like me wingman/carrying and yelling gt open every few minutes ;) the red socks I wear are magic.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

In regards to the exclusion from floors: It's essentially down to the keyers preference, I personally don't take more than one non-rank (guest in cc) if I'm not in a team of friends. This isn't so much to lower the times of my floors, but to make the floor bearable for me to key (having to call gtgd 5 times and waiting 2 mins in the levers are not things i want to repeat).

Join "DGS" Guest Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn

WarpedHeroKeyer16.pngblood_neck.png

I want Ramo-less floors.

Ps. Tui - I hope you like me wingman/carrying and yelling gt open every few minutes ;) the red socks I wear are magic.

ty but ur still smelly

its nice to have pro teammates

I shall become pro@@@, still got some things to learn I'm sure

siggya.png

I want Ramo-less floors.

ty but ur still smelly

its nice to have pro teammates

I shall become pro@@@, still got some things to learn I'm sure

Frost bones > Ashes.

And any new keyers that need some experience just observe what the best keyers do watch them on the map.. their invs when they drop gates take note of when they drop the GGS and when they carry it on them, I can sit in a floor happily and wingman for you but also criticise (but constructively) what I think could be done to improve.

It's also down to your team, it's a lot easier saying "X player gate YP" because here's a scenario for you.

Scenario A) "Someone gate YP" -> 2 players gate it -> 2 players realise it's double gated and both break, or neither break and you're down to 3 gates.

Scenario B) "X player gate YP" -> Player X gates it, you're more likely to remember it now because you've assigned them that key or path, but any key doors around it they have too within a 2-3 room radius of the gate then you say Player X also has BP, GRSH etc..

I can pretty easily video a few floors of when I wingman/carry and compile what I do to help people who are a little unsure of what I do to help the team, identifying paths.. where to leave your personal gate for instance... If I have gated GOREC/ GD in the same room and the keyer has GOREC, you put your personal gate at the GOREC door, and you say GTGD/GTOPEN so when the keyer gates to you she/he can run the door and path with the GGS in their inv, unless of course the keyer is busy then she/he will drop the key for you to run.

There's lot's of things I could show on video from floor wise some is down to experience of moving gt, but regating and where to place gate if you have several doors I personally don't drop personal gate outside GDs for several reasons; A) Confusion over what direction the GD is a lot of people say "GTGD" and it's not in the GD and don't specificy a direction (that's idle time that eats up a floor)

B) you have to open the door to get keys off the GGS if you need them, C) the keyer has to pick up GGS open the door.. and then run and open the GD door after which adds to their time when they have keys to run.

I could right an essay on tiny things tbh but it's mainly experience.

GDs are the biggest priority after running keys, if you have PSH gated and the keyer gives it to you, you run it immediately because you want to find a gd or do that puzzle that might be behind it before that gd is done because you do not want idle time between GDs that's how you get slow floors.

I do find a keyer that leaves a GGS on the floor too much has a slow floor, you either carry it with you whilst you run your path or you move it constantly between carrier/wingmans paths it should always be changing hands or you are running it if there's no gds or you need to run it to a gd whilst they're doing one because if it's on the floor the dungeon floor is at a stand still.

I write down everyones gates and every time I hit a room with lots of key doors I tend to write that down too, so keeping track of where doors are isnt a big problem

This would easily add 3 or so minutes to each of your dungeons.

Minimum.

Having to stop and write things down, and then look back through notes to find where things are?

Best way to do it is memorize your doors

May seem hard, but once you get good at it you'll start seeing faster floor times.

p.s. TOAD I SEE YOU LURKING IN HERE LOG ON SO I CAN DO THREE FLOORS BEFORE I SLEEP@

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Minimum.

Having to stop and write things down, and then look back through notes to find where things are?

May seem hard, but once you get good at it you'll start seeing faster floor times

If you can't remember all the key doors you can use http://www.desolatecarnage.net/rs/dung.htm

It's been mentioned a few times before in this thread, but i tend to have it open and in a resized screen, with my rs client on the right (covering the keys) and the map visible on the left, so when i need to place a key i can just click the map and drag it accross almost losslessly (e.g. while running somewhere)

Join "DGS" Guest Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn

WarpedHeroKeyer16.pngblood_neck.png

Minimum.

May seem hard, but once you get good at it you'll start seeing faster floor times.

p.s. TOAD I SEE YOU LURKING IN HERE LOG ON SO I CAN DO THREE FLOORS BEFORE I SLEEP@

Going to sleep myself plus I'm getting troll 20 minute floors today so no thank you.

Don't write down peoples gates.. they change rapidly, non-keyers should have your inv open anyway.

Plus if you need reminding of a gate ask what is their gate, as you get more experienced you'll automatically remember gates, it really helps to open map every few rooms because you can see the "?" on map and know thats Purple Diamond, The other one is 102 Smith etc.

Minimum.

Cool my floor time just became 11:43

I write down a lot of things losslessly. I have a terrible memory.

You can easily write stuff in notepad while running through a room without wasting any time.

But yes, you do not always need to know people's gates while they are doing areas. Sometimes I do just rely on my teammates to know their gates, but it's a lot nicer if I know who has what with people who are not amazing dngers.

siggya.png

hi

Picture

(ps. it was a row, no overloaded)

HOW do people get these times!?!

Congrats anyways :mrgreen:

I was in the team. That's why.

Jk :P Smelly moved the team to a critical path and the doors after when by really quickly. Few GDs (Look @ level Mod) in the floor as well.

v7hblz.jpg

#3325 to 99 Smithing #4332 to 99 Herblore

hi

Picture

(ps. it was a row, no overloaded)

HOW do people get these times!?!

Congrats anyways :mrgreen:

I was in the team. That's why.

Jk :P Smelly moved the team to a critical path and the doors after when by really quickly. Few GDs (Look @ level Mod) in the floor as well.

Mostly few gds yea and cooperative team

Idk what you mean by the critical path in this case. Obviously if you're idle someone should take the gt to the next gd. There were no pot doors so no way of telling what is critical path or not.

But yes, smelly definitely helped :)

siggya.png

A helpful hint is to make a note of which rooms appear to be likely to have multiple paths branching out from them (as opposed to a room where it is likely it will DE in one or two doors). Then, if you get a Mono or Ghost room, immediately open the room(s) you made a note of. Reason is that Monos, Ghosts, and I believe Mercs all cause the monsters in the next couple rooms you open to be very low leveled. So if you have an unopened path with potential for several rooms and you use this "bonus" on it, it'll really help your times by allowing you to clear a series of rooms quickly.

td2sig.jpg

A helpful hint is to make a note of which rooms appear to be likely to have multiple paths branching out from them (as opposed to a room where it is likely it will DE in one or two doors). Then, if you get a Mono or Ghost room, immediately open the room(s) you made a note of. Reason is that Monos, Ghosts, and I believe Mercs all cause the monsters in the next couple rooms you open to be very low leveled. So if you have an unopened path with potential for several rooms and you use this "bonus" on it, it'll really help your times by allowing you to clear a series of rooms quickly.

depends how early on it is in the floor if it's first few rooms you don't get lowers, it's Grooves/Ghosts/Mono if the Mono/Ghosts/Grooves are going into a corner you can usually ignore them (it's best to ignore ghosts if you can). they add 2-3 minutes to a floor 1% bonus rooms isn't worth the time taken.