08-Mar-2011 � Artisans Workshop

Michael

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why people argue that making money isn't hard, or even a challenge anymore, yet on the same vein of discussion argue that updates like these cheapen the skill as a whole by lessening its 'challenges'...when its only challenge was the price tag to begin with. The argument holds water for skills like Thieving or Agility, where the only challenge lies in the time invested, but not for buyable skills such as smithing or herblore.

Meh I still hold that this was a pretty amazing update.

Money isn't the only challenge in skills like smithing or herblore. I've got the cash to buy 99 Smithing right now, and I'm more than willing to pay 10 gp/xp. Is it as easy as forking over 110M? No, not really, because there's a good ~36 hours of smithing involved even at 300k xp/h. Similarly, I've "bought" 99 Herblore (more specifically, I bought seeds and farmed herbs for a while and when bxpw rolled around, it turns out the overloads I planned to make will get me to 99). Do I have it yet? Nope. At least a couple hours of potion-making still separate me from 99. I know someone who "bought" 88/89 (not sure which) for bxpw, and a good 3-4 hours of potion-making awaits him on bxpw too.

I don't know if I would say this update is amazing - there are many ways I feel it could be improved - but it's certainly better, in my opinion, than a lot of the suggestions posted here.

I've got the cash to buy 99 Smithing right now, and I'm more than willing to pay 10 gp/xp. Is it as easy as forking over 110M? No, not really, because there's a good ~36 hours of smithing involved even at 300k xp/h. Similarly, I've "bought" 99 Herblore (more specifically, I bought seeds and farmed herbs for a while and when bxpw rolled around, it turns out the overloads I planned to make will get me to 99). Do I have it yet? Nope. At least a couple hours of potion-making still separate me from 99. I know someone who "bought" 88/89 (not sure which) for bxpw, and a good 3-4 hours of potion-making awaits him on bxpw too.\

In comparison to the other skills that don't have price tags associated with it, 30 hours to obtain a 99 is a pittance. The true difficulty used to lie in gaining all that money, which was quite a feat of dedication. I understand the point you're making. Buying it doesn't automatically give you the exp and there is still a time component involved, I agree with that. I just don't feel that it was ever the main focus of that sort of skill because there was a very broad option of training methods there that other, generally considered more 'tedious/difficult' skills, didn't have available to them. Still, good point though.

hzvjpwS.gif

so what gameplay value did this update add?

you can't count gold cannons in ct/gwd because that's unintentional and going to be patched

* A typo in the Crafting skill guide has been fixed.

you can't count gold cannons in ct/gwd because that's unintentional and going to be patched

* A typo in the Crafting skill guide has been fixed.

Oh god I lol'd so hard.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

I've got the cash to buy 99 Smithing right now, and I'm more than willing to pay 10 gp/xp. Is it as easy as forking over 110M? No, not really, because there's a good ~36 hours of smithing involved even at 300k xp/h. Similarly, I've "bought" 99 Herblore (more specifically, I bought seeds and farmed herbs for a while and when bxpw rolled around, it turns out the overloads I planned to make will get me to 99). Do I have it yet? Nope. At least a couple hours of potion-making still separate me from 99. I know someone who "bought" 88/89 (not sure which) for bxpw, and a good 3-4 hours of potion-making awaits him on bxpw too.\

In comparison to the other skills that don't have price tags associated with it, 30 hours to obtain a 99 is a pittance. The true difficulty used to lie in gaining all that money, which was quite a feat of dedication. I understand the point you're making. Buying it doesn't automatically give you the exp and there is still a time component involved, I agree with that. I just don't feel that it was ever the main focus of that sort of skill because there was a very broad option of training methods there that other, generally considered more 'tedious/difficult' skills, didn't have available to them. Still, good point though.

You also forget that training smithing / herblore can be very slow, and slightly profitable endeavors. Those cannonballs that people slay with have to come from somewhere, and plenty of people are too lazy to clean their own herbs.

Don't forget Kuradel's Dungeon for probably glitched cannon spots. At least I've heard it works there, but not slayer tower.

Neltak.png

You also forget that training smithing / herblore can be very slow, and slightly profitable endeavors. Those cannonballs that people slay with have to come from somewhere

bots

True, but that doesn't mean players can't do it to train smithing. :P It's not like you HAVE to have money to train smithing. Maybe you're a masochist...

You also forget that training smithing / herblore can be very slow, and slightly profitable endeavors. Those cannonballs that people slay with have to come from somewhere, and plenty of people are too lazy to clean their own herbs.

No, those I didn't forget. People usually resort to those methods to solely make money, not as a direct means to train the skill. They choose to challenge themselves that way and instead of money being the most difficult component, yes, time becomes the difficult part. However, most people don't train that way because the time together spent making money elsewhere and buying the product are usually half that of the more tedious methods. Now there is even less incentive to take such slow, plodding routes like that because of updates like these. And when that happens, those that choose the hard, medium, or fast paths of training buyable skills such as these all come out in the wash when updates like these are created.

hzvjpwS.gif

I have finally got my Royale Dwarf Cannon, took me 2 days & roughly 21 million gp. I did Mithril Ingot iii & Adamantite Ingot iii with SC hammers for fast exp and respect. I started at level 87 Smithing and have ended at level 91 Smithing.

Video Footage

[hide]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeLazJJML9Q[/hide]

Pictures

Front

http://img217.images...7/5110/rdc1.jpg

Side

http://img193.images.../8865/rdc2c.jpg

Side

http://img34.imagesh...g34/86/rdc3.jpg

Back

http://img21.imagesh...21/967/rdc4.jpg

--TearGod

xxteargodxx.png

What's the secret to making Ceremonial Swords? I'm raging rather hard at the moment. It's like trying to get a +6 boost from stews but far more costly.

The only winning move is not to play.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

What's the secret to making Ceremonial Swords? I'm raging rather hard at the moment. It's like trying to get a +6 boost from stews but far more costly.

"Yada yada. Worst update ever. Jagex doesn't know it's own game. gg breaking it. Smithing deserved a better update. Whine whine whine whine whine."

There, I summed up this thread.

Now, I don't give a rat's ass about how you all feel about this and how you think you're wronged. Quiting is always an option, no one's forcing you to like this.

But if there's one thing I really hate, is when people ask for advice and a bitter jackass feels obliged thrust their subjective remarks down one's throat.

Now, from personal experience:

- If you need 4 or higher: Do hard

- If you need between 2 and 4: Do medium

- If you need 1: Do soft (80% probability to get a 1 from personal experience, very realiable)

- If you got turns to spare and only got a few tweaks left: Do careful.

The tip of the blade must be handled cautiously. Jam it a few times with the hard option until you get at least 5 or higher, then leave it till the end (if 4, jam it with hard and pray the RNG doesn't decide to give a 5).

At 5: Medium

At 6: Soft

At 7: Careful if turns leftover, otherwise soft

You'll most likely botch up if the sword you get has many 4's and 2's, in which case I can guarantee you will not perfect at least 75% of the swords. From personal experience, 1/5 is perfect, 2/5 are 96%+, 3/10 is between 90% and 96% and the odd 1/10 is <90%.

Good luck.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

"Yada yada. Worst update ever. Jagex doesn't know it's own game. gg breaking it. Smithing deserved a better update. Whine whine whine whine whine."

There, I summed up this thread.

Now, I don't give a rat's ass about how you all feel about this and how you think you're wronged. Quiting is always an option, no one's forcing you to like this.

But if there's one thing I really hate, is when people ask for advice and a bitter jackass feels obliged thrust their subjective remarks down one's throat.

Now, from personal experience:

- If you need 4 or higher: Do hard

- If you need between 2 and 4: Do medium

- If you need 1: Do soft (80% probability to get a 1 from personal experience, very realiable)

- If you got turns to spare and only got a few tweaks left: Do careful.

The tip of the blade must be handled cautiously. Jam it a few times with the hard option until you get at least 5 or higher, then leave it till the end (if 4, jam it with hard and pray the RNG doesn't decide to give a 5).

At 5: Medium

At 6: Soft

At 7: Careful if turns leftover, otherwise soft

You'll most likely botch up if the sword you get has many 4's and 2's, in which case I can guarantee you will not perfect at least 75% of the swords. From personal experience, 1/5 is perfect, 2/5 are 96%+, 3/10 is between 90% and 96% and the odd 1/10 is <90%.

Good luck.

Ran out of coal so I started just doing iron, got 1 perfect, got me to 83, got me 1 stage more of precision or something...

But apparently I have to get my plans I unlocked in the smithing window while making the sword to get the sword, so [bleep]ing god damnit and such...

2dgucz6.png

I read somewhere that not only do you have to get your own plans, but when you do, you have to perfect the sword and then SPEAK to the dwarf instead of quick-scoring it. Otherwise he won't give you a chance to keep your sword.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I haven't seen a single plan that has the edge like this thought...

-------

I just got perfect on it. I talked to him instead of right-click. This was the ONLY one that looked even CLOSE.

FAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

2dgucz6.png

You lose respect for getting the rewards? That's just silly. Why call it respect then? Surely tokens would make more sense.

After hours and hours of making ceremonial swords, burial armour and mine tracks, merely suggesting that you would like to 'bling' your dwarf multicannon immediately causes the dwarvern smiths to be so offended at your outrageous lack of taste and style, that they instantly lose all respect they have for you.

I haven't seen a single plan that has the edge like this thought...

-------

I just got perfect on it. I talked to him instead of right-click. This was the ONLY one that looked even CLOSE.

FAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

The talking instead of right-clicking is irrelevant. I only use the right-click option, and have gotten probably 10 swords atleast with straight edges. Just sayin. :-w

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

You lose respect for getting the rewards? That's just silly. Why call it respect then? Surely tokens would make more sense.

After hours and hours of making ceremonial swords, burial armour and mine tracks, merely suggesting that you would like to 'bling' your dwarf multicannon immediately causes the dwarvern smiths to be so offended at your outrageous lack of taste and style, that they instantly lose all respect they have for you.

That sounds about right, yeah. Have you seen the blinged cannons?

Yeah, I agree with you there. They also lose respect you for wanting to learn how to smith more like they do, or learning how to make more of their sword designs. Seems like they should gain respect for you wanting to learn more of their art. :unsure:

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.