ever been *tempted* to cheat?

ixfd64

A reminder to those posting here:

The first are posts that contain proof of a user botting. If a user is caught botting, the staff will be less lenient and users will only be granted one warning before a permanent ban. In addition, the user will no longer be allowed to post screenshots of the account caught botting.

The second are posts that contain evidence of RWT/Multi-Logging/account sharing. Again, if a user is caught RWT/Multi-Logging/account sharing, the staff will be less lenient and users will only be granted one warning before a permanent ban.

We hope these revisions to our policy make the forum experience more enjoyable for the forums users as a whole! And remember: don't forget to report posts that violate these rules. We staff members do not have a built in radar that automatically detects rule violations. In order to get things removed and dealt with ASAP, we need your help with reporting!

Regards,

Your Tip.It Administration

This thread is about human temptation, and our morals. Please don't change that

On Topic: Assuming that the people here aren't lying about not cheating, I want to raise a question.

What kept you rule-abiding? When is it worth it?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a practical perspective, he had a good thing going until he outreached himself letting greed overtake his senses by showing it to you. (And others. Wouldn't doubt that's what did him in.) If he got banned already then he deserved what he had coming.

Good on you to resist temptation, Egg.

Speaking of communities, the worst effect botting has on new players? Trying to strike up a conversation and getting nothing but cold silence. It's a game killer, that.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Just because you prefer to keep to yourself - I do, at that, I turn off everything except clan - doesn't mean others play this game the same way you do. It'd make more sense to assume new players want to be social - it's a mmorpg, after all. The MMO has to stand for something.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

At times I've thought idly about botting, but never seriously. If this was a single player game, I would prefer to cut short the grinding - I don't think anyone really likes that. But since it's multiplayer, that would wouldn't be fair to all of the other players, so I couldn't do that. The issue of being caught/hacked/punishment is to me a peripheral issue; even uncaught, it would be hurting others.

Something I've thought about more seriously is that as a programmer, it sounds like it would be an interesting challenge to write a bot, just for fun. I'm fairly curious about how they work, etc. If it was only done for the sake of the challenge, wasn't ever distributed, wasn't used to reach high levels (i.e. only tested with temporary, disposable accounts), and wasn't used to collect and sell things, then I don't think there would be a moral problem. However, in this case I wouldn't attempt it because Jagex could potentially link such testing/activity with my actual account by IP address.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I had my first account banned because I botted... I haven't botted since. I don't see any reason to either, as when I no longer enjoy the game I take a break from it. Also, I have enough time invested in it to get where I'm at (and the content available) that I don't want to try to obtain it again.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Thought about it once or twice but i really can't see myself enjoying, lets say 99 Construction, knowing that i used dishonest methods to achieve it. Same goes for RWT. If i really wanted to i could very easily buy myself 10b gp but once again i would not enjoy using the money if i know it was gained dishonestly. Cheating has always been something i've been against.

Buying RSGP for irl money has always struck me as sad and nerdy.

Selling rsgp for irl gold is at the moment unprofitable for me (2mil/hr on rs = £2/hr irl). It would be more efficient to get a job.

Haven't really been in a position to take advantage of a bug or something similar, but I don't think my conscience would allow me to. As for botting, it doesn't appeal to me at all, rs isn't worth playing if I can't do things myself.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Macro:

I have to admit, I have "cheated" before when I was a noob.

Before ge and trade limit, I used shortkey program so I wouldn't have to type in same thing over and over again, whatever I sold.

I also had a spam clicker when I trained my magic with Camelot teleport.

Sure, there are urges to use a macro when seeing that Jagex is pretty much not doing anything to stop it except few accounts once a week or so.

But I would never ever bot on my main account, worth too much to me.

RWT:

I'm not rich enough in rs to even bother to think about selling gold, clearly wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I'm too cheap IRL to buy cash.

Bug abuse:

For some reason I'm always too late to the glitches, or not aware of them until they becomes fixed.

Peng glitch, didn't know about it.

Mu glitch, that one I did know, but other then just walking around in ge, watching who have been listing to people saying to turn off public chat to avoid getting the error. No, no other abuse of it.

Recent Row glitch, I was at school when it happened, and when I got back. It was fixed. >_>

Right, some users (note the plural here) have come very close to crossing the line in this topic over the past 30 minutes. I suggest that those users give themselves a brief timeout to make sure there are no further misunderstandings.

-Necromagus, Tip.It Mod.

I've cleaned the topic. Feel free to continue discussing the matter at hand, within forum rules of course.

-Necromagus, Tip.It Mod.

Tried a "simple" mining bot back in 05 on my first account. The dumb thing kept spam clicking and messing everything up so I was like well this sucks. Ever since then I haven't. I value my acheivements too highly to bot. I would feel as though they were worthless if I didn't do them myself.

One of my good friends who started off actually "playing" runescape ended up trying botting after a while for slow skills like fishing and alching for mage and became hooked. He tried countless times to persuade me to do it too because of how easy it was but I never did.

Did frustrate me a bit to know he was raking in xp by botting inneficiently faster than I could when I played efficiently. Finally one day I checked the highscores to see how far ahead he'd gotten and realized he was lvl 10 in all of the skills he botted + some others. A little part of me inside jumped for joy, but he didn't care. He's a pker and is able to show off 99 hp and str and mage with barrows gloves at lvl 84 combat or so. Oh well. His name even mentions he's a "reset" and has an unfair advantage at pking due to his barrows gloves at 10 defense.

Oh well. Nothing is ever going to get done with bots imo so I just have to stay friends with real players and try to ignore the fact that bots exist I guess... lol

Trollbomber.png

Yes to bug abuse.

One was recently with Herblore Habitat's release. You could withdraw more potions from the Leprechaun than you actually had in, as long as you had one in (eg: Withdraw 25 Juju farming pots when you actually had 1/30 Stored, just needed to use Withdraw-X). I was very tempted to get me a lifetime of Juju farming pots that way, but I reported the bug and resisted the temptation to abuse it for the week until it was fixed by next update's Patch notes.

The other was RuneTek5 which allowed you to drop Destroy-only items. I have to admit I did abuse that.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

If Jagex had a decent banking interface the need to create dups wouldn't be such a great problem anyway. There's something very different from duping items to sell for profit and duping items for convenience in the bank. Why can't there just be an option of "Locking" an item in place in the bank?

I was quite interested in this topic so looked up a RWT trading site to see just how expensive it is. Back in 05 when I was a noob I did consider RWT but didn't because I was convinced that I would just get scammed. The prices I just checked now are £0.5 a million. I could earn £5 an hour in a minimum wage job e.g: 10mil an hour quite a good moneymaker :P Then again you risk being banned and considering the amount of time I have put into this account it is really, really not worth that risk.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Yes to bug abuse.

One was recently with Herblore Habitat's release. You could withdraw more potions from the Leprechaun than you actually had in, as long as you had one in (eg: Withdraw 25 Juju farming pots when you actually had 1/30 Stored, just needed to use Withdraw-X). I was very tempted to get me a lifetime of Juju farming pots that way, but I reported the bug and resisted the temptation to abuse it for the week until it was fixed by next update's Patch notes.

The other was RuneTek5 which allowed you to drop Destroy-only items. I have to admit I did abuse that.

WUT!?

I would've gotten a huge supply of all the juju potions to make my life easier.

I feel like if there was a minor glitch that didn't affect other players - I would probably use it.

aka. the corp beast glitch, etc

However, if it involved some dueling arena glitch where you could gain an unfair advantage over other players - I definitely wouldn't abuse it.

capt%20kevin.png

I was going to go into detail, on each offence I have committed. Going through the rules I found out that I've broken nearly every rule besides like Jagex impersonation which is just stupid because clearly I don't have a gold crown. I figured it was probably a good idea I don't post what I've done on a forum that jagex mods read.

Most of the rules you can get away with no problem besides macroing and bug abuse. If you bug abuse on some huge scale of like 10m xp an hour, then your going to lose your account. If your macro it's going to catch up to you sooner or later, you might start off slow saying you will only bot when your at your computer, then it moves to ill only bot at school, work, ect before long your 24/7ing and that will be it.

L2pullout.png

I feel like if there was a minor glitch that didn't affect other players - I would probably use it.

aka. the corp beast glitch, etc

Considering all the outcry about that glitch, an awful lot of players seem to think it affects them. It may not have taken items away from anyone, but besides the general unfairness, it contributed to the price depreciation of those shields.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png