1/22/2012 New Members' Pricing

Themooingcow666

I don't mind this. Prices of everything tend to increase. I don't think this price increase is out of line with others in the game industry. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, RuneScape has officially crossed the price barrier in which the cost of streaming TV subscriptions (Hulu, Netflix, various [legit] Anime sites) would be more appealing to me. Not that I can say I'm surprised or disappointed with this move, it's a pretty decent one. I'm just not sure how well the cost of RuneScape will scale with other entertainment or games that are out there. I mean hey - there are other games and companies cashing in on the low-price model now.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

So, RuneScape has officially crossed the price barrier in which the cost of streaming TV subscriptions (Hulu, Netflix, various [legit] Anime sites) would be more appealing to me. Not that I can say I'm surprised or disappointed with this move, it's a pretty decent one. I'm just not sure how well the cost of RuneScape will scale with other entertainment or games that are out there. I mean hey - there are other games and companies cashing in on the low-price model now.

From a personal experience, if I no longer played RuneScape I wouldn't be interested in the current prices! But that's besides the point. Subscribing to a streaming site doesn't provide the user with the same content that a constantly-evolving MMORPG does. I don't really think Desperate Housewives and a host of other series/movies is comparable to leveling skills and chatting with people all around the world. They have completely different audiences. I myself watch TV online a lot, but I'd pay for both. I won't say "Oh well RuneScape is gone up in price, and the next episode of Hawaii Five-O is available so I'll pay for that instead of getting hundreds of hours in a month of RS!".

As we know the audience of RuneScape would be younger than that of Netflix or one of its competitors.

I'm still paying the 4.60 rate per month, so this change doesn't affect me. But I'm not at all surprises. Prices for pretty much everything in life have gone up in the last year or two, so it's not a surprise this has too.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Jagex raises the price on RuneScape, what, every two or three years? While letting existing subscribers keep their current rate? I wish everything kept a steady price that long.

You should see the price of gas around here, I've seen it change every two or three hours.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I'm not that fussed about the pay rise, what does bother me is that they claim that 2011 had great updates and are always dragging Clan Citadels into it. Who the hell uses his citadel, like seriously? Overall, the quality of the updates was subpar and don't get me started on the loyalty stuff...

Well, my clan's ended up galvanising around the citadel, it does work as a clan feature, although it does need more functioning things. The Barbecue and the Clan Rings deal out quite a lot of XP, and we're only Tier 6.

The Loyalty stuff has grown on me, personally, but I can imagine why people don't like it. It doesn't make any sense lore-wise, though, and that really should be fixed.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

23-Jan-2012 18:01:49

RE - game cards.

The price of game cards WILL be increasing, when we next reprint them. However, any of the existing stock in the stores will remain at the existing price. You can buy as many as you wish at this price, but you can only apply a certain number to your account at one time.

However, any you have can be applied at a later date, even if you bought them at the older price.

Hope this helps all of you who asked questions about this.

Too bad she didn't address my question: Will players paying by membership card that are currently subscribed/subscribed for over 1 year already be given a appropriate discount?

93959819.png

Leaaf.png

It's kind of annoying because I decided to take a break and not play while school is in due to lack of time, so I'd have to pay the more expensive price if I resubscribed again in the summer. However to be fair it is still one of the cheapest MMOs to subscribe to and I can't blame them for a price increase every couple of years. As long as they still offer decent discounts for 3 month/6 month subscriptions I don't mind paying an extra couple of dollars. Just means I'll have to play lots more during the months I subscribe to get my money's worth.

Also as a side note at least Jagex will make more money off of P2P bots that subscribe and get banned soon after.

I'll surely be affected by this as I tend to take breaks from Runescape. In fact, I was going to take a break this month as soon as my membership runs out. I'm sure in the long run I'd be better off just staying subscribed, but I can't justify paying for a game when I'm not going to play.

Edit: If the price of CC goes to 7.95, I wonder if I would be better served just going to the store and buying like ten three-month $20 game cards. You'd save money.

From a personal experience, if I no longer played RuneScape I wouldn't be interested in the current prices! But that's besides the point. Subscribing to a streaming site doesn't provide the user with the same content that a constantly-evolving MMORPG does. I don't really think Desperate Housewives and a host of other series/movies is comparable to leveling skills and chatting with people all around the world. They have completely different audiences. I myself watch TV online a lot, but I'd pay for both. I won't say "Oh well RuneScape is gone up in price, and the next episode of Hawaii Five-O is available so I'll pay for that instead of getting hundreds of hours in a month of RS!".

As we know the audience of RuneScape would be younger than that of Netflix or one of its competitors.

I'm still paying the 4.60 rate per month, so this change doesn't affect me. But I'm not at all surprises. Prices for pretty much everything in life have gone up in the last year or two, so it's not a surprise this has too.

It's all the same - it's a form of entertainment. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm a senior in college that has a part-time job, and there are days in which I have to consciously choose between eating for a week and enjoying some form of entertainment (game, movies, etc). You may say differently, but there are going to be some people that seriously look at the price, what they're getting for the price, and, if Jagex is unfortunate, they'll start looking elsewhere at that price.

Like I said, I can't speak for you. But there is plenty of entertainment outside of RS at $8/mo. I'm only raising the point that, at this price, there may be more incentive to "shop around" for your MMO fix.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

What's happening with the 12 month subscriptions?

12 month subscriptions were only used by a small number of players compared to the 1, 3 and 6 month subscriptions. The 12 month subscriptions will no longer be available however, the new 3 and 6 month options should typically offer a better discount compared to the previous 12 month price.

As one of the few players who used this payment scheme because:

1. I want to drag myself to the post office as little as possible, and

2. I have to pay a hefty tax every time I use Western Union to make my purchase, all I can say is:

[bleep] this.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

This annoys me that they would raise the price again, especially during a tough economy. Their reasoning behind raising the price is a total load of crap too if you ask me you added Clan Support? Sorry but this is something that should have been in the game a LONG time ago, sure took you long enough to implement it. Graphics updates really? Really? You updated some water and added a new lighting feature that's all you did.

The year of 2012 won't bring us anything better than 2011 brought us, we'll probably get another stupid skill some more "graphical improvements" and quests, nothing more that warrants (In my opinion) a price in crease. I would expect content updates with any MMO game I pay subscription service for.

Here's what I think happened, when Jagex first launched their membership service they priced their game too low and now it's killing them. They priced it at a measly $5 bucks a month and are slowly inching and creeping their way up to the prices of other MMO's/Online Games.

Oh also Jagex I like how you fail to mention that you decreased the grace period from 14 days down to 7, why's that? Is it because you're too greedy and want people to lapse even sooner so they can be out of luck and stuck paying your new higher rates? This is not the game I once loved, you've become nothing more than a greedy company who's out to scrape whatever you can from my pocket.

--TearGod.

xxteargodxx.png

Free mmo's are all the rage now. The 3 big ones ofc are lol, hon, tf2 - totally free games. Yes they have micro transactions-but their free games are a lot less of a demo compared to f2p. And there's also the pay once play online forever type games - namely sc2, mw3

RS is only really 'cheap' compared to subscription based Mmo's...And honestly sucks compared to all of them in term of gameplay, graphics, and voice acting. (I'll give rs credit for story).

Even at $5, a year's cost could have bought you sc2 plus a whole bunch of heroes for lol...and you get to keep those forever where in runescape you drop off all records the moment you sub dies and you spawn in lumb with unusable items on and an overcapacity bank.

Hmmm, at $8, I really question whether rs is a good deal now...

(in the end, I guess addicted fanboys/girls will pay however high it gets..but I really think it has gotten to the point where it's simply not worth it for new players to ever subscribe. If you're gonma pay someone $8 a month...netflix would be much better choice.)

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

I'm more worried being Australian. That's easily around a $5 jump for me in membership price, and no offence, but the content spewed out lately hasn't exactly been fabulous.

EDIT: im also hoping this isnt this weeks update...

Popoto.~<3

I'll surely be affected by this as I tend to take breaks from Runescape. In fact, I was going to take a break this month as soon as my membership runs out. I'm sure in the long run I'd be better off just staying subscribed, but I can't justify paying for a game when I'm not going to play.

Edit: If the price of CC goes to 7.95, I wonder if I would be better served just going to the store and buying like ten three-month $20 game cards. You'd save money.

RE - game cards.

The price of game cards WILL be increasing, when we next reprint them. However, any of the existing stock in the stores will remain at the existing price. You can buy as many as you wish at this price, but you can only apply a certain number to your account at one time.

However, any you have can be applied at a later date, even if you bought them at the older price.

Edit: this post is on pg5 of the FAQ thread

Too bad she didn't address my question: Will players paying by membership card that are currently subscribed/subscribed for over 1 year already be given a appropriate discount?

93959819.png

Leaaf.png

Imo the game isn't worth 8$/month. It was one thing to encourage people to stay members with loyalty rewards, but it's another to have your membership spike 33% in price if you choose to not subscribe continuously. If I were a new player or returning member I would definitively think twice about subscribing. Not to mention the lag is pretty ridiculous, my computer could play any game out right now at ultra settings (OC'ed gtx 570 to nearly 580) yet a graphically ugly game like RS lags in populated areas because jagex can't be assed to get decent servers. Might be an indication it's time to move on to another game tbh.

2480+ total

This is a non-issue for most players. Existing members are not affected and non-members thinking about joining are not going to be turned off a price that's modestly higher than what they weren't paying anyway. The only people affected are those that like to do the on again off again membership. It was these type of accounts Jagex tried to sway with loyalty awards. Not sure if those not hopping onto loyalty rewards are a high enough percentage of players to really dent Jagex's bottom line.

I don't think an argument on what counts as expensive should come into play here. Most I can say is that if $8 a month is the difference a life of ease and living on the streets, you may want to reconsider your financial situation prior to spending productive hours on an online game.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

^that

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The 7 day rule is stupid. Veterans should have a permanent discount.

I agree, especially those on the £3.20 rate, shows real dedication.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

RE - game cards.

She did:

The price of cards will increased.

Cards are sold by stores at a flat price, there has never been any discount on them.

I'm not that fussed about the pay rise, what does bother me is that they claim that 2011 had great updates and are always dragging Clan Citadels into it. Who the hell uses his citadel, like seriously? Overall, the quality of the updates was subpar and don't get me started on the loyalty stuff...

Well, my clan's ended up galvanising around the citadel, it does work as a clan feature, although it does need more functioning things. The Barbecue and the Clan Rings deal out quite a lot of XP, and we're only Tier 6.

The Loyalty stuff has grown on me, personally, but I can imagine why people don't like it. It doesn't make any sense lore-wise, though, and that really should be fixed.

Totally agree my clan has galvanised around our citadel too; it gives us a sense of achievement and loyalty to think yes we did this together & the clan rings are very nice little boosters; we have many going for 99s who *love* the rings. I know mining rings shaved maybe an hour or 2 off my 99 mining (considering I was already like 94) and FM rings are epic.

They do need something more, like the widely suggested game's lobby where we could form teams for various games and jump straight there and maybe make use of the 5 excess skill plot slots at t7 with *something* useful. Or there's the idea of the 'clan bank' thats been floating around for a while; where you can donate items that the whole clan can use (kinda like an extended loan system, eg you can put ur d axe in when out of use then any clan mate can withdraw it for 24 hours at a time etc)

Heck even some more cosmetic option would please a good many clans (eg let us put 1 - 2 pets per person in there so you could be a crazy cat lady citadel if you so desired)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

uk 41% increase

us 34% increase

euro 17% increase

at current exchange rates:

uk £4.95 = euro 5.89 = us $7.69

I created a new account following the tip it hack thing as I was unable to retrieve my old account due to it being registered with an email address that ceased to exist in 2007.

My previous username was Amethyst Gem