Tip.it Times Presents: Change!

MPM

G'day! Today when searching for an article for the times, we found this one, which fits perfectly with the major discussion for the week.

Change!

Even though we use less letters to the Editor than at the beginning of the summer, we still need them. If you have thoughts about this, or any other article, pm The_editor, and they may be published.

Happy scaping!

~M

Interesting article to say the least. Change will always bring people to complain because of stability just like is mentioned in the article. I also found the quote about yoda true because it exemplifies what brings hate towards new updates in runescape.

Also the Did you know is very interesting, does it really not stop you from atking?

Exactly what I've been thinking - all I've seen on TIF today is either

"YEAHHHHH SUMMONING"

"FFS STUPID DUEL ARENA UPDATE I HATE IT!"

"GRAND EXCHANGE IS GONNA RUIN MERCHANTING FOREVER!!!"

People jump to conclusions about future updates far too quickly - just wait and see what it'll be like before talking about it, mmkay?

Plugpoint92 ::'

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

Good article, very interesting

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

Everything you said was true I guess.

But less negative effect is better than more negative effect from a change, and there are better solutions to the staking problem than the one that is being used currently. Such as adding so that only players within 10 Combat levels of each other can stake (dunno how many times I've said that on RSOF and TIF, lost count :P)

And to a certain extent I wouldn't be calling the staking problem change, I would call it deleting an aspect from the game. Since now there's nothing left of it. But you could call it change too, depends how you look at it.

The Grand Exchange, that's a change and I think it will affect merchanters a lot, but not too much, unless Jagex deletes the trading function. But I don't think they will, so that will be a change we can adapt to without complaining (of course people will be complaining anyway, as always :P).

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

I have never disliked an update except for pure runes. Currently everything that people think is bad that they are updating doesn't effect me (I am not a staker)

...that the fish thats called karambwan does not stop you from hitting and it heals 18!

Really? Then why don't people use it for p2p pking?

sig.jpg

Didn't really see the point in this article.

Basically, it's saying that, contrary to popular belief among the staker community, the Duel Arena update won't kill off RuneScape.

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

That's all fine and dandy, but what happens when we have choice about the change? What happens when we can reverse the change? What happens when we put both choice, and opinion together to reverse something that made change?

That alone in my opinion destroys the logic, and the point behind this article.

It's an interesting read. The central point is that all things change; either adapt or perish. Pretty wordy, but otherwise good.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Nice article, but not all the facts are accurate. For example, the temperature changes every day, often drastically (10 degrees or more). 2 degrees won't kill anything. :-k

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

Nice article, but not all the facts are accurate. For example, the temperature changes every day, often drastically (10 degrees or more). 2 degrees won't kill anything. :-k

Open up your mind. He is talking about the mean global temperature. A very small, more or less permanent change in the average temperature across Earth can be disastrous.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

I totally agree. Change happens, get over it and adapt, or die (aka quit).

I hate the whiners who rant over every update. After all they are only a small minority of the overall community. The majority of the RuneScape community just get quietly on with their gaming and adapt.

Yes, change is bound to happen. Thanks for the heads up.

I've come back to RS from a 6 months hiatus, also known as college. On my time off, I've learned a lot more from playing other games :shock:. Yes, I turned to other MMORPGs, and other video/computer games, but I find myself back on RS.

There's something about RS that makes it addictive. That element is the "alternate life". You don't get to be 12 years old and be a ruthless pking machine at the same time. Nor can you freely use magic in real life. Change is bound to happen in any lifetime, whether real or alternate. Just that this change is directly the result of JaGEx's decisions combined with the huge tides of player suggestions.

In the past few weeks, everyone has been sure to notice some somewhat huge changes to the game: Duel Arena update, Grand Exchange, and Summoning.

First of all, Summoning. JaGEx says, "You're extremely welcome." Not just to the p2pers that pay a bit of their salary, but to the f2pers. This is an ultimately incredible way to bring f2pers to the p2p side, and an attraction to new players. Sure, it's got to have kinks in it, but kinks will be ultimately taken out. So, when it does come out, be happy. If you don't want to be involved in Summoning, don't worry about it. People complain about new skills. I know, when I was p2p, I said to myself I wouldn't do Hunter. I thought it was boring. I didn't do any Hunter, 'til the end of my membership. Yet, I didn't complain about Hunter. I think it's boring still. That's just my opinion. Anyway, moving on.

People think the Duel Arena update is unfair. Tournament mode seems extremely promising. I'm not p2p, and when I was p2p, I didn't try Duel Arena. Just because 1) I knew my original main (a hybrid) was not up to par with the incredible pures of my level, and 2) I didn't have anything I could afford to lose. But, I do know, by observation, Duel Arena is extremely fun. Staking now of course has sunk to 3k gp/15 mins. 15 mins is not a lot of time, folks. People can still trade between their accounts, just slower. It's not the point to take out the restriction. Just that this is an easy way to do it "legally." Anyways, stop complaining about the cap and go try out tournament mode... 64 million gp could be up for stake for you.

I don't get why people see the Grand Exchange as the be-all, end-all of the RS Global Market as we know it. Obviously, this has been a rip from other games. I know the most recent game I played with that system was... Pokemon Diamond! (duh duh duh) I know, kinda babyish, but you don't know how much I've been waiting for this to come out. I've played Pkmn since Yellow Version, and didn't find many people at all to trade with freely. Now, with the GTS (Global Trade Station), I was able to quickly get a pkmn I wanted, and I put up a pkmn (something I might not have wanted) that someone else might have!

Think about it, in RS terms now. If, let's say, you're looking for a quest item. You're so engrossed in this quest, that you're willing to trade anything for it. (Maybe not anything, if you're profit-minded.) But, there ARE people who will trade anything for the items they want. Not everyone thinks of profit. You put up a spade, and someone needs one bad. That lucky other person will be so happy to see a spade up for trade, and if they have what you asked for, you'll probably get what you want. (No, I don't think anyone in their right mind will put up 3 mil for a spade, but it doesn't hurt to try anyway :) ). Point is, you're making someone else happy, probably ecstatic, while you get what you need, making you happy. The Grand Exchange, morally, is the best thing to happen to RS.

Now, economically, yes, we're probably gonna see rare prices drop. You don't think JaGEx has that in mind? Has anyone thought that there might be in the works, a brand new rare item to come out in the coming years? Hey, maybe there's an item in our time (2006-2007) that will attain rare status someday, give it a couple years, mind you. But, there's the possibility of A NEW RARE! You think JaGEx would like to see a new rare out there themselves? Of course! It's call publicity! It's also out of their goodwill they'll see players happy getting a new rare item. Yes, some players will hoard (unless it's got a cap on it). But most likely, it could be an item you can only have 1 of, and will check your bank/inventory/equipment to see if you already have one. It won't be rare now, but in a couple years, it might be. Just keep collecting.

Now, expect more changes. Be prepared. Be informed. Think how new changes could affect the economy or you. Be on the lookout for new exciting upgrades to RS. It's bound to happen, because imagination never ceases.

~WSW~

Did You Know...

...that the fish thats called karambwan does not stop you from hitting and it heals 18!

Did you know...

...that the fish that's called karambwan heals after you're finished the eating animation instead of when you start the animation.

That's the reason why sharks are the preferred food for pking and killing high levelled monsters. :P

cheezysigtipit.png

High-alching that REALLY expensive item in my inventory looks more and more tempting with every beer I drink.