[DevBlog] Hit Marks: Damage Control

Mil

http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=100

Please note that this project, in particular the visual design, is work in progress. The final version may be subject to change.

Part of the development of Dungeoneering was to create the chaotic equipment. Due to this new equipment being able to hit harder, we also had to introduce a countermeasure to allow people to defend against this higher damage potential - the level 80 shields.

It was at this time it was raised that although these shields did a fair bit to reduce incoming damage, there was no real way of feeding back what was going on to the person wielding it, other than a "Your shield helps reduce the damage you take." message in the chatbox. You don't know how much it has reduced damage by and may even question whether or not it even worked at all! While we had to release the equipment with this simplistic feedback, we didn't want this to be the final product.

Hit marks v2.0

hittypesthumb.jpg

Magic, Ranged and melee damage

So, after Dungeoneering was released, we worked on adding support to make the hit marks system far more flexible, with new things like icons, background scaling, animation, fading effects, and even multiple marks in one. This was originally done to allow the support we needed to show damage soaking on screen For example, if you got hit for 600, but your shield soaked 200 of that damage, you'd see a red hit mark for 400, followed by a blue soak mark for 200 - so you'd immediately be able to see the effect your shield had on that hit!

More than for soaking

hitotherthumb.jpg

Watching other players deal damage

With all of this new functionality, we thought it was a shame to think we'd only use the two hit marks on one line, so I spent some time investigating if I could incorporate some of RuneScape's other features to improve the combat experience and feedback it provides. The first thing I looked at was damage types (you may have seen some of these new hit marks in a recent Developers' Blog video). When I first played Dungeoneering (and I've seen it plenty since!), people had trouble identifying what they were being attacked with when, say, a mysterious shade hit them. Some people thought they only used magic attacks, so got confused when they were still taking damage while using a magic protection prayer. This new system outputs a neat little icon when damage is applied, so you know if prayer might help reduce or block the damage. The picture here only shows hit marks for magic, ranged and melee damage, but it doesn't have to be limited to just those three types. The last image in this blog shows an example of damage caused with a dwarf multicannon and a deflect curse.

That's my 200!

hitmixedthumb.jpg

Which was my hit?

Another thing I was aware of from my in-game experience and from seeing various mentions on the forums was those times where two (or more) people hit an NPC at the same time. One person would hit a really high number and everyone would claim it was theirs! Given some further support, I've incorporated what I've come to call 'fade splats'. Basically, if you see a vibrant colour with the damage amount in it, it means it is something to do with you (either damage you are taking, or damage dealt by you or your familiar). If it is a faded colour, it means you were involved in whatever combat you are looking at, thus you know what hits are related to you.

For example, if you were watching NPCs fight in the God Wars Dungeon, the damage splats would be a much darker, saturated red, but if you hit one of them yourself, you'll see a bright red one, as it was something to do with you.

Something else you might notice is that the hit marks expand if the number is bigger, so if you hit a 1, the hit marks will not be as wide as if you hit 100.

The problem with 0s

hitcannonthumb.jpg

Cannon and deflection damage

Who likes hitting 0s? We certainly don't, so this was one thing I was really keen on looking into, given this project would involve a lot of work within the core combat system anyway. We are still finalising what we want this to be - it could be the word "Miss", an icon or perhaps even an animation (something to prevent words appearing all over the screen in busy areas).

With the current hit marks system, a 0 can depict one of two things - either you missing your opponent, or hitting them but causing 0 damage (save for magic, which has a different 'squib' animation for a miss). In these cases, I went through many, many files to update them so that with the new hit marks system, you will either 'miss' your opponent or cause a minimum of 1 damage. While this isn't groundbreaking, it means the system shouldn't 'lie' anymore, it's more informative. A hit will always mean damage is inflicted and a miss is you missing the chance in the first place.

Wait, theres more?

Oh, yes, and theres something I've not mentioned, another unique feature that is also being implemented, and which hasn't been shown in the pictures here...and which has turned out to be a big hit with people here. But you'll have to wait until the new hit mark system arrives before finding that one out...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coolio

I just wonder how the minimum 1 damage thing is going to work. After all, Defense=Dodge, so I would be interested in seeing how this works outside of the special shields.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

TBH this sounds a pretty good thing to update. :thumbup:

But this made me super curiouss:

Oh, yes, and there’s something I've not mentioned, another unique feature that is also being implemented, and which hasn't been shown in the pictures here...and which has turned out to be a big hit with people here. But you'll have to wait until the new hit mark system arrives before finding that one out...

:ohnoes: (inb4 the mandatory sailing post)
Sephy.png

From a certain perspective, it almost looks as if they are changing the whole game mechanics just for that stupid shield's release. But it's not neccesarily a bad thing. Do have a pet peeve about 0s becoming misses though (on a personal opinion), just like how they decided to 10x all the damage. I'd think this would be beneficial, just hard to get used to.

Oh, yes, and theres something I've not mentioned, another unique feature that is also being implemented, and which hasn't been shown in the pictures here...and which has turned out to be a big hit with people here.

I suspect it will be the healing hitsplats, like you see in Dungeoneering.

I love the colors that distinguish who hit what. Not so much of a fan of the icons beside damagesplats.

Oh well...

hzvjpwS.gif

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

Dumbest update since constitution guaranteed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

Jagex motto, "One must always temper success by changing everything to appeal to those that don't even play your game over those that do."

Now all we need is flashing strobe lights, tons of explosions, and more numbers flashing on the screen than at the New York Stock Exchange and the wowification can be complete.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

Dumbest update since constitution guaranteed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

Jagex motto, "One must always temper success by changing everything to appeal to those that don't even play your game over those that do."

Now all we need is flashing strobe lights, tons of explosions, and more numbers flashing on the screen than at the New York Stock Exchange and the wowification can be complete.

+1

td2sig.jpg

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

You just about summed it up for me. More unnecessary updates that simply add clutter to combat. Not looking forward to this by any means. However, the only way I would be mad about the update would be if they implemented those awful heal splats from Dung :ohnoes:.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I am more of meh on this, I don't really care that much about who hit that 700 on bandos. I guess telling players what kind of damage they are been inflicted with does give Jagex the opportunity to make harder bosses maybe?

People are going to rage so hard if they remove 0 though. I am meh on that as well as I simply do not care enough(because it is not a core game mechanic.)

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

Was that a posh way of saying that this update seems to be aimed at those who do not play the game? Well, I would find that statement purely wrong. All of the changes were given reasons which have been highlighted by actual players, and over the years have been noted by most people. I see this much like the rest and agility updates. It will take a while go get used to, but even though it will actually change very little, it will improve the game a lot.

Also, what spell is being used in picture 1?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

alfred.jpg

Not sure if serious

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

I hope they give us the option to turn the system off or simplify it to just a damage splat. Kinda like how we can chose to turn off those stupid icon things on everything.... Like ohh i need to know this is a door cause i would have had no idea of what this is... ohh this is a fish no [cabbage] really ohh and i can eat this cooked fish wow thank you i had no clue.... Ohh i can attack this goblin, oh my I would have thought i should try to fletch him into a bow, thank you little icon......

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

Was that a posh way of saying that this update seems to be aimed at those who do not play the game? Well, I would find that statement purely wrong. All of the changes were given reasons which have been highlighted by actual players, and over the years have been noted by most people. I see this much like the rest and agility updates. It will take a while go get used to, but even though it will actually change very little, it will improve the game a lot.

Water spell

I agree with Dan on this one,I really really dislike people complaining about how adding effects to attacks etc makes it more like wow. In fact the style is actually more like Guild Wars here. In Guild Wars every time damage pops up there is an icon on the left side to tell you what skill did that damage. In wow it is just a number without the icon.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

At first I hated the idea of the attack type icon beside the attack, but like it said in the blog, it WOULD be useful to know what damn type of attack those shades are using. Same with the bright red vs dark red splats, let's you know if YOU did the damage or not. The "guaranteed" 1 damage if you land a hit is kinda meh - it's not a bad idea, but it doesn't seem very exciting.

Oh, and as for the shields....it'll be years before I get one, so I don't really care what they do to them >.>

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I think this sounds fascinating. I love the idea of knowing what you hit and what type of attack is hitting you. I'm a bit nyeh on not hitting 0's, and the splat graphic might need a bit of an update too, but overall I'm looking forward to this.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I think this sounds fascinating. I love the idea of knowing what you hit and what type of attack is hitting you. I'm a bit nyeh on not hitting 0's, and the splat graphic might need a bit of an update too, but overall I'm looking forward to this.

I agree with the last part, I am not too big on the damage splats, I wish they would just get rid of the splat background and leave just the numbers there like other mmos. Looks more pleasing in my opinion.

11-1.jpg[

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

Water spell

I agree with Dan on this one,I really really dislike people complaining about how adding effects to attacks etc makes it more like wow. In fact the style is actually more like Guild Wars here. In Guild Wars every time damage pops up there is an icon on the left side to tell you what skill did that damage. In wow it is just a number without the icon.

I know I will sound like an [wagon] for saying this, but he did say, "One must always temper success by changing everything to appeal to those that don't even play your game over those that do." and I noticed that both of you were Retired... :?

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I like the current damage splats we've got and I'd be worried about not being able to see the numbers if the splat wasn't there, tbh.

They just have to change the color to be more noticeable, maybe yellow or teal? The splat in the picture looks like a rectangle with fuzzy edges, is like a piece of carpet or something.

I know I will sound like an [wagon] for saying this, but he did say, "One must always temper success by changing everything to appeal to those that don't even play your game over those that do." and I noticed that both of you were Retired... :?

No worries, as long as you are not outright insulting I am fine with comments. I am a gamer, same as you. Why should Jagex cater to its existing customers and stop expanding its market? It is not even like this update is a big deal anyway and I am certainly not going to back playing normally just because of this, but I like it(somewhat), and I guess you do not, why is it a problem? Why can't I, as a potential customer, like something if an existing customer does not? Is there a conflict of interest here or something?

His quote is very exaggerated anyway, in no way was the hitting splat a huge success, it is just a game feature that has being there forever and they are thinking about updating it.

EDIT: I did a quick count, about 5 existing member are liking the update, about 3 people are meh, and 4 are not liking it. So it is not just Dan and I.

11-1.jpg[