Free Trade and Old Wilderness back [21-Dec-2010]

Logdotzip

116 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against Free Trade / Wilderness Returning?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I remember PKing in the wilderness was pretty much going after the people with pickaxes and generally skillers who were going to run away and not fight back. If there was a person in the horizon with a decent equipment most of the pkers were just going to run. Can someone explain me the positive sides of pure idiots attacking skillers ?

For the record my 1st RS account was registered approximately on 30th september 04

As far as I remember PKing in the wilderness was pretty much going after the people with pickaxes and generally skillers who were going to run away and not fight back. If there was a person in the horizon with a decent equipment most of the pkers were just going to run. Can someone explain me the positive sides of pure idiots attacking skillers ?

For the record my 1st RS account was registered approximately on 30th september 04

If your in the wilderness don't whine about getting attacked. If you are skilling in the wilderness you are taking that risk. And if all you remember is people attacking skillers you didn't pk.

Registering date really doesn't mean anything if you didn't PK, which is clear from your post as you only represent a skillers point of view(and why wouldn't a pker kill a skiller if they collide?). A pure idiot would be someone skilling in the wilderness not expecting to be attacked(it's not as though revenants ignore skillers, is it?).

Pking with free trade was about being skilled, not like it is today. You used to make your own fortune, and pking in expensive gear gave you an advantage, not like nowadays where pking welfare is the way to go and pking in expensive gear means you are disadvantaged.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Registering date really doesn't mean anything if you didn't PK, which is clear from your post as you only represent a skillers point of view(and why wouldn't a pker kill a skiller if they collide?). A pure idiot would be someone skilling in the wilderness not expecting to be attacked(it's not as though revenants ignore skillers, is it?).

Pking with free trade was about being skilled, not like it is today. You used to make your own fortune, and pking in expensive gear gave you an advantage, not like nowadays where pking welfare is the way to go and pking in expensive gear means you are disadvantaged.

has more to do with combat system than free trade or not

regardless, skill still gets you places in safe pvp nowadays. risk is too high in dangerous.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

has more to do with combat system than free trade or not

regardless, skill still gets you places in safe pvp nowadays. risk is too high in dangerous.

Well, i'm failry sure mage bank ~4-5m risk pking would become VERY popular if free trade came back as what people risk would actually be given to you not a level 70 welfare newb. Safe-pvp really isn't a good replacement for real pking.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I think it's a good idea.

Sirscrap.png

Click sig for blog ^^

6,627th to 99 fletching

33,986th to 99 attack

4,871st to 99 thieving

Whip drops: 28 / Dark Bows: 7 / Hexcrests: 7 / Focus Sights: 1 / Staffs of Light: 6 / Dragon Chainbodies: 2 (1 KQ Solo 1 Dust Devil)

I wasn't really a fan of when it was removed, but there were far greater problems arised from the bots themselves. Maybe if they didn't cause Jagex to be fined over and over for credit card fraud (from bots stealing people's credit cards to pay for their own members) then it might have been resolved. The goal here was to remove the ability for someone to real world item trade easily, thus discontinuing the need for bots at every yew tree, etc.

I understand what you're saying, and yes, many people did quit from it, but it's collateral damage compared to what would've happened, eg. no Runescape at all. Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice if it was back, but yeah..

j0xPu5R.png

I wasn't really a fan of when it was removed, but there were far greater problems arised from the bots themselves. Maybe if they didn't cause Jagex to be fined over and over for credit card fraud (from bots stealing people's credit cards to pay for their own members) then it might have been resolved. The goal here was to remove the ability for someone to real world item trade easily, thus discontinuing the need for bots at every yew tree, etc.

I understand what you're saying, and yes, many people did quit from it, but it's collateral damage compared to what would've happened, eg. no Runescape at all. Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice if it was back, but yeah..

Bots are still all over the place. RWT is still going strong. Credit card fraud over it is probably still present, too, unless Jagex has found some other way to deal with it.

But the thing is that they tried to deal with it. If you get taken to court, you will be looked on less harshly if you try to deal with a problem than if you just ignore it altogether. It also may not have totally stopped RWT, but it has limited it and slowed it down.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Am I the only one who thinks that this is an extremely stupid idea?? I've been involved with RS for more than 6 years and I've seen this game during the free trade/free pk era and frankly, the MMO genre has passed that era of in-game death being an extremely fearful prospect.

Games now look at how to limit downtime, not extend it. Personally, I feel that the biggest problem with RS is its primitive combat engine that is frankly boring. Click and wait doesn't make for exciting gameplay and instead on focusing on how to improve the UI and balance and jumpstart combat, they are focusing on bringing back the so-called "good ol' days". Very backwards approach IMO and it's one that isn't going to improve RS for the future.

Jagex needs to look at the other success stories in the MMO world and try to emulate some aspects of their gameplay style. I'm not saying they should go create a WoW clone but the levelling process, combat, grind-to-reward ratio, etc. are what needs to be improved considerably in order to improve the game in the long run.

Fellsig.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks that this is an extremely stupid idea?? I've been involved with RS for more than 6 years and I've seen this game during the free trade/free pk era and frankly, the MMO genre has passed that era of in-game death being an extremely fearful prospect.

Games now look at how to limit downtime, not extend it. Personally, I feel that the biggest problem with RS is its primitive combat engine that is frankly boring. Click and wait doesn't make for exciting gameplay and instead on focusing on how to improve the UI and balance and jumpstart combat, they are focusing on bringing back the so-called "good ol' days". Very backwards approach IMO and it's one that isn't going to improve RS for the future.

Jagex needs to look at the other success stories in the MMO world and try to emulate some aspects of their gameplay style. I'm not saying they should go create a WoW clone but the levelling process, combat, grind-to-reward ratio, etc. are what needs to be improved considerably in order to improve the game in the long run.

I -LIKE- the grind and huge amount of time it takes in some areas, I would never aim for 95 summoning if it was a 95 fetching or even 95 prayer type achievement, because then 1000 other people would have it, as it is around 2-3 active people have 95 summoning under 60 combat.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I -LIKE- the grind and huge amount of time it takes in some areas, I would never aim for 95 summoning if it was a 95 fetching or even 95 prayer type achievement, because then 1000 other people would have it, as it is around 2-3 active people have 95 summoning under 60 combat.

You've got it totally right, I mean I've been around for a long time, but never been particularly good at the game, but RS is a unique MMO, just because WOW dictates we must have quick endgame, where arguably the game begins properly, does not mean RS must follow suit. Runescape has a large scape of skills of different xp rates, prestige and usefulness at 99, the capes caused 99-mania and before 99s were not so important now arguably we all play for these 99s. But the fact remains RS doesn't need to evolve into a browser based World of Warcraft.

6660_6.jpg

In short, not interested. I've come to rely on the Grand Exchange. If you're not trying to screw people out of their money by merchanting then you really don't want to stand around yelling offers every 5 seconds!

That said, if we were able to switch between limit and no-limit worlds, I would applaud the slight elimination of junk trading...!!

PK'ing sounds good, just not really for me personally. Hey guys, did you realize we still have statues pumping pure cash into the game? No? I wonder why everyone forgot about those. Maybe most just gave up after the Climbing Boots deally...

I support full-looting PK worlds, or maybe I just don't oppose them? Ah well...

2dgucz6.png

You've got it totally right, I mean I've been around for a long time, but never been particularly good at the game, but RS is a unique MMO, just because WOW dictates we must have quick endgame, where arguably the game begins properly, does not mean RS must follow suit. Runescape has a large scape of skills of different xp rates, prestige and usefulness at 99, the capes caused 99-mania and before 99s were not so important now arguably we all play for these 99s. But the fact remains RS doesn't need to evolve into a browser based World of Warcraft.

I don't think you two have fully comprehended the point. Whatever WoW may or may not dictate, whatever you like doing in RuneScape - and let's not involve grinding or efficiency into this argument; we've all had enough of it - RuneScape has a ridiculously primative combat system. Training it basically boils down to clicking on an enemy, whilst paying half attention to how many kills are left the slayer task, whether you need to pot up or eat something, or watching a special attack bar recharge. The Capes of Achievement have turned out to be so deeply ingrained into the RuneScape mentallity it's difficult to create a distiction between playing RuneScape, or working on getting 99s, borne out of some sense of obligation in order to 'show off' to other people.

In fact, RuneScape in general is so ingloriously simple it's not difficult to see why bots have such a field day. Whether WoW suffers from similar problems or different problems is irrelevent to RuneScape. You can't establish a solid identity by saying, "X is not Y". See: Nonconformity.

What excactly is long term? some rwt accounts probs havent been banned and they quit since the major update, they might of began their rs accounts in 2002 and so they might come back and begin rwt again, this is jsut a theory, on why it wouldnt work....

SUPER.gif

I don't think you two have fully comprehended the point. Whatever WoW may or may not dictate, whatever you like doing in RuneScape - and let's not involve grinding or efficiency into this argument; we've all had enough of it - RuneScape has a ridiculously primative combat system. Training it basically boils down to clicking on an enemy, whilst paying half attention to how many kills are left the slayer task, whether you need to pot up or eat something, or watching a special attack bar recharge. The Capes of Achievement have turned out to be so deeply ingrained into the RuneScape mentallity it's difficult to create a distiction between playing RuneScape, or working on getting 99s, borne out of some sense of obligation in order to 'show off' to other people.

In fact, RuneScape in general is so ingloriously simple it's not difficult to see why bots have such a field day. Whether WoW suffers from similar problems or different problems is irrelevent to RuneScape. You can't establish a solid identity by saying, "X is not Y". See: Nonconformity.

I don't see how this has anything to do with me saying I like the grind and I like the simple gameplay, I was illicitly saying, if you want a game with greater depth, you have to lose part of the large scope Runescape has. If you want an in depth wholly devloped combat system in your MMO, why not play WOW?

6660_6.jpg

Bots are still all over the place. RWT is still going strong. Credit card fraud over it is probably still present, too, unless Jagex has found some other way to deal with it.

Think about the amount that it was before to what it is now. Yes, there probably is still credit card fraud still going on, but remember like 15+ bots at each place that happened in members areas? Probably all 15+ of those stole other people's credit cards so they can have the privilege to even be in that world. After all, why would they give their own information? That would just make it easier for Jagex to track down.

Note: I'm talking about those bald, light green and dark green pants autoers that you would find at every tree, flax patch and even some at green dragons not ones that level 130s use for training Firemaking or making personal profits for the benefits of their own account.

j0xPu5R.png