Wilderness and Free Trade Interview!!! - Answers On First Post!

n_odie

24 January 2010: We have received a reply from Jagex and they have chosen a selection of questions to answer, which can be found below :)

Jagex's Wilderness and Free Trade Responses

Q: What do you, Jagex, plan on doing to combat RWT? Obviously, with the re-installment of Old Wilderness and Free Trading, it will spike as soon as the features are re-installed. If it gets to out of control, will you remove these features again? ~ RunesRath

A: We’ll be stepping up our efforts to combat RWT and botting and we’re spending more than ever in this area. We’ll be monitoring everything very closely and we will do everything in our power to ensure the gameplay and changes can remain. We are also looking into new ways of punishing cheaters who buy gold.

Q: What D&D's will you be moving out of the wilderness? Will Penguins and Clue scrolls both be moved from the Wilderness? How about the Mage Arena? Green Dragons? ~ PereGrin

A: Regarding D&Ds: penguins will be staying, clue scrolls will still take you into the Wilderness on occasion but far less frequently than they do. The mage arena will be a safe area as it was originally, and green dragons will remain dangerous. It’s worth noting that content that does remain e.g. beacon networks for example will have increased rewards for those who undertake the risk.

Q: Will Revenants drop the PVP items (Vesta, Statius, etc.)? ~ PereGrin

A: The Revenants are being relocated to a pvp enabled dungeon. They will have all pvp unique drops such as brawlers, corrupt dragon and the various statuettes. They will no longer teleblock or freeze you but can still change combat styles to keep things interesting!

Q: What will happen to our combat levels and how will summoning be worked into old style wilderness? ~Naraku893

A: Your level will be displayed as follows: “playername 126+12” for example. Your combat level in the Wilderness will act as though you didn’t have any Summoning, so will be the old max of 126. The Summoning level +X will simply demonstrate your “potential” to summon aid. If the player above were in level 3 wilderness he could fight those with combat levels between 123 and 126 inclusive. You would see the +12 and so you should be wary of that player having the ability to summon any familiar which could be particularly dangerous in multiway!

Q: Will the GE volume limits remain or be removed? What about the 4 hour time limit between buying and selling the same item? ~ Impressionist

A: Buying restrictions will remain in place. These exist purely to reduce market monopoly and ensure a higher number of players can buy high demand objects like godswords.

Q: How will item lending and untradable items (especially dungeoneering equipment) work with the new wilderness? ~ Impressionist

A: One of three things will happen to untradeables. Some objects will vanish, some will drop cash instead like the anchor and now Korasi’s sword. Finally other items will drop a tradable equivalent (like Summoning headgear that’s been enchanted would drop an un-enchanted version). Most popular untradeable PvP equipment will not vanish. Lent Items are not allowed in at all, and will be put in your bank/inventory or returned to the owner depending on inventory space.

Q: How long has the thought of returning free trade been around? Along with that, has work been done on it before the vote? ~ Danqazmlp

A: We always wanted to bring back the Wilderness but we needed to know that we could do safelyThe only work done before the vote was to see how long it would actually take to re-implement (Development/QA/graphics etc.) and what we would have to do to existing content. The list we came up was condensed down to the list of things that would probably need to happen that you’ve probably seen on the Referendum page.

Q: Will there ever be new content (minigames, quests, etc) in the wilderness after free trade is brought back even though it's been said current content of these types will be re-located? ~ Den

A: The Referendum was to put the Wilderness and Free Trade back as close to the original as we can realistically get. There’s no reason once it’s back that we can’t put some new content in the Wilderness but it would be designed with the risk and dangers taken into account.

Q: Will there be other "referendums" in the future regarding Runescape? ~ Earth_Poet

A: This Referendum has certainly been very popular and it’s great to see such a huge number of players taking part to have their say. This is certainly an option we might look at again though I feel it would depend on the topic or update we’re considering. I wouldn’t expect one for every weekly update though!

Q: How do you feel this will effect the RS Economy? Do you believe it will make things worse, better, stay the same, or get worse/better, but balance off after a few weeks. Was the impact of the economy taken into consideration when making the decision to bring back the old ways? ~ RunesRath

A: We believe that returning to the free-trade model and increasing our efforts to tackle RWT, whilst giving you the freedom and increased control over prices will be better in the long run. We realise it’ll take a little while for those who remember the old days, as well as those who are currently used to the Grand Exchange.

[hide]Hello all!

We have just received an email from Jagex and would like you the community to help us with the reply. :)

Hello!

As you’ll be aware the Wilderness and Free Trade will be returning soon! We’ve seen a huge number of questions from the community based around this update and as such' date=' we want to offer you, our Platinum level fansites, the opportunity to interview our content team about Free Trade and the Wilderness.

...To make sure we’re able to get your questions answered in time, it would be great if you could get me yours by 5PM GMT tomorrow, that should give us time to answer your questions and get them sent back for Monday. In terms of how many questions to send us – send as many as you can and we’ll cut the interviews down to make sure there’s a good selection of unique questions for each.

We look forward to seeing your communities questions!![/quote']

Now, we will need some time to get them organized, so we need the all questions by Jan 20,2011 at 4pm GMT.

bla_1295539200.png

Have fun![/hide]

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If free trade is being restored, then what happened to the worry behind real world credit card theft which prompted the removal in the first place?

The poll was a more or less to build hype, as you had to have already started the code behind the update, correct?

Only questions I have, I cannot be certain if they have, or have not, been answered.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

What D&D's will you be moving out of the wilderness? Will Penguins and Clue scrolls both be moved from the Wilderness? How about the Mage Arena? Green Dragons?

Will the Wilderness Volcano Bank remain?

Will the Boneyard be coming back? please say yes, please say yes...

Will Extremes and Ovls be usuable in Dangerous PVP situations similiar to the way Chaotics and Curses now are?

Will Revenants drop the PVP items (Vesta, Statius, etc.)?

What will happen to the Frozen Fortress?

pere_grin.png

This questioned is not aimed directly at FT or wilderness but I am wondering as to how the game mechanics from the PvP worlds and BH worlds will be used later since they are being removed.

What will happen to our combat levels and how will summoning be worked into old style wilderness?

Will the fence in Varrock multi be re-implemented seeing as the beacons will be moved? Plz. Plz. Plz.

1. Will the GE volume limits remain or be removed? What about the 4 hour time limit between buying and selling the same item?

2. How will item lending and untradable items (especially dungeoneering equipment) work with the new wilderness?

3. Item scamming and luring will no doubt return. Will these be reportable offenses or will they simply be against the spirit of the game?

4. What safeguards will be in place to distinguish between innocuous wealth transfer and RWT?

Will we go back to to the "old" wilderness , aka : no limits. or will limits be imposed upon items like Extremes or Overloads?

What will happen to brawler gloves? Will they be randomly dropped from a legitimate PK of a certain value?

Also will they only work in the Wilderness for the full 4x bonus or could they work anywhere outside the Wilderness for the current rate of 1.5x?

Will you introduce a way to make clue scroll worth doing if there are Wilderness locations, as of this moment in time, a J Mod, has stated that current Rewards are calculated only when the casket is opened, also stating that the location/ actions to finish the clue have no effect on the final reward.

For example, If you have a clue in the wilderness, you are guaranteed an item above the untradable biscuits.

All for now.

xSoulgazer

Elysian Sigil ---- 11/24/10 ---- 550M

How long has the thought of returning free trade been around? Along with that, has work been done on it before the vote?

How will the grand exchange be integrated into free trade?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Some questions, not sure if they have been answered at some point with hints or whatever but I'll just give it a shot.

1. With the removing of pvp/bounty worlds, what will happen to Brawling gloves? And if they are going to remain, how are you gonna obtain them?

On a small note also, if they would remain, I guess we're gonna get the 4x xp in wildy like always, but what about the other 1,5x xp outside of wildy?

2. What are going to happen to Revenants? Are they just gonna disappear? I mean, it's a unique monster, you can't just remove them?

If you do, will we see their fighting mechanics in some future monsters instead?

3. Pvp Armor/corrupt dragon, what is going to happen to that equipment? Another way to obtain them or like a "bonus" drop from normal pk kills.

4. One of the reasons you removed Free trade to begin with was because of the Credit card fraud, what are you going to do differently now? Because you can't just expect it to disappear.

5. Herp Derp, that was all.

Edit: oh wow, kinda stole other people's questions here...

Will pvp worlds be removed along with the ability to use brawling gloves outside the wilderness?

What will happen if you kill someone risking a chaotic? Will you, as was done with the barrelchest anchor, receive a cash drop?

C1Geq.png

Will there ever be new content (minigames, quests, etc) in the wilderness after free trade is brought back even though it's been said current content of these types will be re-located?

1. Will abyss runecrafting be considered for replacement? Given that KOs are much easier now than when the old wildy was removed and thus has a higher chance of being neglected.

2. Will there be more JaGeX support for player-run companies such as law running or ore miners, or will it still be squarely on the shoulders of the founders?

3. Will this affect the way NPS shops work in any way?

-Lioness 32

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Question :

Your purpose for getting rid of the ability to sell tokkul was to combat the RWT, do you plan to reverse this decision and let people sell again? Also, what about personalized shops? Will you get rid of these?

will grand exchange boxes be placed in various cities to restore the pre-restricted trade atmosphere to cities?

Durmstrang.png

Go Chicago Bears!

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment

Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

What will happen to content that has lore based in the wilderness such as the defender of varrock quest, fist of guthix and several others?

Stealing creation can easilly be moved lore wise because it's based around reverants not the wild itself. Will you rewrite alot of lore or find ways to adapt the wilderness to it?

Only thing i really care about from the wild is the quests and activities in it so thats it for me.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Ok, first, I'd like to say thanks for doing this Tip.It! This will mean my questions are guarented to be answered! Thanks! Ok, here is my list of questions:

1.) I understand Jagex is developing 'Wilderness Island' where Revs, Quests, and Activites will be relocated. Will green dragons, the entrance to the KBD, Chaos Elemental, Wilderness Agility Course, and rune rocks be re-located here as well? Also, will 'Wilderness Island' have a bank, and where will we access it? Via teleport lever?

2.) What do you, Jagex, plan on doing to combat RWT? Obvisously, with the re-instalment of Old Wilderness and Free Trading, it will spike as soon as the features are re-installed. If it gets to out of control, will you remove these features again?

3.) Will a wall be built at the entrance/exit to Daemonheim to avoid people acciedently wandering into the Wilderness? Also, will you be adding warnings to teleports (Any kind) that take you in to the Wilderness, warning of how players are permited to battle each other to the death?

4.) How do you feel this will effect the RS Economy? Do you believe it will make things worse, better, stay the same, or get worse/better, but balance off after a few weeks. Was the impact of the economy taken into consideration when making the decision to bring back the old ways?

5.) How do you plan on re-installing PvP Armour to avoid all of it become 'rare'? How will this new system work? Will it be avalible after the update or take a few weeks or months to create, making PvP Armour and Wepons 'rares' for a temporary period of time?

6.) When moving many quests, how will you handle quests that's story line is centered around the Wild, such as Spirit of Summer, Summer's End, Defender of Varrock, ect.

7.) How will you be handling Summoning Combat (126+12=138) in the Old Wild, and how will familiars work? Will familiars be limited to certian worlds, or be abolished from the Wild all together? And if it is, will our combat in the Wild be the same as if we didn't have Summoning?

8.) When you say, "GE Price caps will be removed", does this means the price limits won't exist? If so, could you please have 'suggested prices', which are basicly the current level caps, only you won't be restricted to those prices. I'm rather dependent on those set prices, as I don't study the economy and I'm not sure of current market values, and could result in me paying far to much for items, or me being dead-locked and personally entering an time of great personal economic depression.

That's my list! I might add more soon, but this is basicly all I can think of for now! Thanks Tip.It!

Have you reached a decision on how to implement extreme potions in the wilderness?

Approximately, what percentage of Jagex employees supported/did not support the return to the old wilderness and free trade?

How will forinthry bracelets work in the new wilderness?

How will colored whips, infinity robes, and dark bows drop from kills if at all?

How will loaned items work in the wilderness?

Many resources in the wilderness are outdated.

Originally, the wilderness was the only place to mine rune ores.

One of the few places with numerous coal/mithril/adamant ore spawns.

But most of these resources, save a few exceptions such as green dragons, have become outdated

are there any plans to bring back incentives to skill in the wilderness aside from brawling gloves?

Naaxi.png

What will happen to Brawling Gloves and Statuettes?

That^

Will pvp worlds be removed along with the ability to use brawling gloves outside the wilderness?

What will happen if you kill someone risking a chaotic? Will you, as was done with the barrelchest anchor, receive a cash drop?

That^

And,

Will you be able to re loot untradeable items upon death?

Also, will skulling/non skulling and protect item being returning?

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

Will the Boneyard be coming back? please say yes, please say yes...

1. This ^ and to add to it will other old wilderness areas be added back?

2. Will gravestones dump/release their contents after the time is up for all to grab?

3. Will there be worlds where everywhere will be "Wilderness"? Like today's pvp worlds but with old wilderness rules? I will miss harassing and killing bot miners/wcutters/fishers/etc...

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

What will happen to the items that someone is carrying on them when they die (if gravestones stay, after the gravestone breaks)?

Currently the wilderness is a quarter filled with the wilderness volcano and clan wars arena, what will happen to these areas after the whole wilderness returns to being a pvp area?

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

Many questions, however:

--Will revenants remain, but be unaggresive to skulled players.

--Will PvP anywhere servers remain in some capacity?

--If PvP servers, will they keep auto-skull, +1 worlds, and unique PvP drops (corrupted, brawlers) for those risking

--Will restrictions be placed on GE such as buying limits, time limits on buying requests (ex 3 days) in compensation for return of free trade

--What are effects of dying to NPC's or environment in the wilderness?

--What are effects of killing a player who has not yet picked up loot from another player kill (ie pile jumping)? Will the loot disappear?

--Will there be a version of loot share for PvP so clans can see drops of other clan mate?

--What are effects of a gravestone that crumbles? One suggestion was, only blessed gravestones will have items available for looting to encourage even strangers to bless.

--How many accounts are expected to be banned prior to free-trade return?

--Are ideas in place to encourage players to risk wealth when taking part in PvP ie discourage 1 iteming.

--What rules are in place concerning the use of non-tradeables (fire cape, quest capes, chaotics, etc) in the Wilderness. Will there be loot drops ala anchor?

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit