Today...

Leoo

Project Manager at only 20 years old? dafaq is this world coming to when a 20yo can get a high-corporate job and a 22yo cant even get a job in a fast food store. :\

In a world where I've been going to a large university that is among the best in the nation for computer science since I was 15, with work as a software engineer at another fortune 50 company for a year. Age isn't everything. Drive and ambition to get a college education leads to better jobs than age ever will.

Anyways, I've been told I'm going to have a team of two other interns. I'll work with people in Seattle, Dublin, and Hyderabad.

About interns sucking, that's not true in my case. In my last one (Supervalu, software engineer), it was one of the best experiences I've had. I learned a ton, my projects saved the company over a million dollars, and I had fun.

Microsoft has the best internship program in the country, so I'm not worried about it sucking. It's not Xbox or Windows 8 I get to work on, but it will still be fun.

Agreed. I'm only 21, but I have over 40 people working for me in a multi-milliondollar independent corporation. It's all about personal drive. I started from nothing.

Thought you worked for the mafia?

With so many of us acquiring bachelor degrees, we have evolved into a society that views a person's portfolio greater then their resume.

Depending on the field, this is true. In science/engineering, it is much better to have a degree. Although, you need work experience too, like internships or research at university. Neither are insanely hard to get, as long as you have at least a 2.5 GPA.

• Like 1
2s0cxth.png

Another weekend without internet. I guess that's the price I have to pay for going on an international workterm. Still is worth it though.

Today I instigated a federal investigation at my place of employment.

Well, it was nice knowing you.

I mean I CAN NOT do it. I have a back condition. It's the one thing that can impact my career choices with heavy lifting. OTHER then that, I'm fine.

Well then, try getting a fork ticket and an MR licence. I can basically guarantee you'll get a job within 6 months.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

With so many of us acquiring bachelor degrees, we have evolved into a society that views a person's portfolio greater then their resume.

Depending on the field, this is true. In science/engineering, it is much better to have a degree. Although, you need work experience too, like internships or research at university. Neither are insanely hard to get, as long as you have at least a 2.5 GPA.

There will always be exceptions and the science/medical field is a great counter at the entry level. Specifically though, I was referencing fields of craft like computer science/engineering, journalism/english, design/art studies, etc. The guy that contributes frequently on Github, has a better chance then the guy with a great GPA & transcript.

This isn't to say a BA is useless, it's just when you're comparing two people with the same BA they're going to cancel each other out.

tFtfA.jpg

So first up, I think driving home today was the closest I have ever been to a lightning strike. Hard to say, since I can't say I even really saw it. It was more like a gigantic camera flash, and it took the better part of a second to have my entire field of vision back. The station I was listening too was the apparent target (or really close to it), allowing me to hear the delay on a live broadcast (given that they were closer, and would have heard it first, delay is maybe 3-4 seconds), and it also took down a major intersection and a couple others (fortunately getting to that major intersection seconds later, I got through before traffic became super bad. Kind of cool, but I'm also very glad that no one hit the brakes during that brief time when I couldn't see the road.

On another note, I am starting to wonder just where the person who thought up daylight savings actually lived. It doesn't make any sense near the equator, since the days are pretty much the same 12 hour span all year. No adjustments would be needed. It also makes absolutely no sense as far north as I live (which is roughly level with the southern edge of Canada, not like I'm in the arctic circle) where our days go from about 8 to 16 hours long during the year. On the shortest day, the sun comes up at maybe 9:30am. It will set between 4 and 4:30 pm. In the summer, when we have daylight savings, the sun rises at 5:30am (adjusted time, ADT) and sets at about 9:30pm ADT (it's a bit later, but you would have a lot of trouble seeing by about 10).If we didn't adjust, much of the summer would end up being around 6:30am to 10:30pm, which I would think is much better.

I guess my biggest qualm is that if the idea is to reduce power consumption from people turning on the lights, your attacking the wrong part of the day. It doesn't light up enough here in the morning (before about 7) even with DST to prevent that, since many people like a bright cheery house when they are waking up (also, all the people who shower in the morning who don't have a skylight in the bathroom). On the other hand, if you just left it alone, people would need the lights for less time before they went to sleep I would think. Not that DST isn't already stupid, it's just that extra layer of 'wait, why do we do this again?'.

Other than that, the weekend was so nice (before the states sent us their terrible weather just in time for Monday, so uh, thanks for that) that people were out on the lake and whatnot. Some people swimming, a number of boats out. Got sunburnt, though I seem to be healing at a nice pace. Apparently I can tan pretty much to maximum in under a day, and the second day gave me a chance to even some things out (like the one hand from wearing a glove to protect it from the propane torch I was using). This is nice, I think I usually start with worse burns that take longer to fade.

Oh, and a new law we have or are getting (not clear on this). On the up side, you can only be charged up to a point for exceeding data plan caps (on phones) so now the providers are motivated to actually cut you off rather than do a Mr. Burns while you rack up hundreds of dollars on your monthly bill. This is awesome. Then we go and ruin it by allowing people to get out of any phone contract after 2 years without penalty. Essentially, they've probably made it impossible to get a proper 3 year contract, since you would still now be required to pay for the phone in 2 years in case you leave. Since like most of Canada, I pay for at least most of my phone through a 3 year contract, I'm not pleased. This makes me wonder if they really grasp the concept of a contract, and why that law essentially now invalidates them at the 2 year mark, turning you into a monthly customer (and that extra phone money they don't need will instead become the risky customer charge you get if you go monthly).

Agreed. I'm only 21, but I have over 40 people working for me in a multi-milliondollar independent corporation. It's all about personal drive. I started from nothing.

Thought you worked for the mafia?

That's what he just said.

Today I instigated a federal investigation at my place of employment.

Well, it was nice knowing you.

Basically yeah haha. Not sure when the investigation starts, but likely within the next few months. I'm just crossing my fingers that my name doesn't get passed around the family table if you catch my drift

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

He is from New Jersey. ;P

Hehe.

Heard today that UVa's waiting list is officially closed which means I am officially going to JMU this fall.

It's nice to finally have something somewhat decisive and secure set about my future.

Thinking about getting an ebook for reading as I don't enjoy having hard copies around and I read a lot of books, the amount of which are purchased instead of library borrowed increasing slightly by year as I get more specific in looking. For $130 to get a paperwhite I think that I may just do that sometime.

Today I had the epiphany I've had everyday for the last few weeks. Why am I still here? My daughter, I tell myself. Giving up her childhood to claim mine just isn't fair.

Good luck to you RPG. Remember omerta and pasta-frolli and all that.

I saw another interesting sight today, nothing "deep" but pretty badass: A MiG fighter plane or one of it's variants. It was flying low I thought it was a falling passenger line, but was just the MiG doing a turn at low altitude.

Rich son of a gun to fly a plane like that.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

He is from New Jersey. ;P

Hehe.

Not sure if you know that from creeping or you can understand the joke in my profile >.>

Today...

worked a bunch, lead a employee meeting, had some taco bell and caught up with an old friend. My friend got pot brownies from California, and my other friend just bought himself a '68 Chevelle.

Life 'n' stuff.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Wow, this really does look like facebook some days :lol:

Dreary day here, not much going on. No more 'God's Camera Flash' lightning so far. Might get some reading done. Might not. Never know how this will go.

• Like 1

I love your signature, Randox.

Today I went with my mum to the anticoagulation clinic. She has to go to this clinic every 4 days to check her blood clotting speed :o

It's crazy, so she can't go on holiday or anything, as this medication is long-term they said. She's allowed to drink alcohol and eat normally which is nice though, so it's not like anything's really that much different.

Friday is my German exam. 2 hours 30 minutes of 2 essays and 1 translation. I always finish too early and get bored, so I use the toilet to make things a little bit more exciting, or do a little bit of long addition along the side of my paper, or counting every single word in my essays to make things interesting.

I'm excited to get this exam out of the way earliest as it's my longest one as well. In a week's time I'll have finished half of my exams this season.

In grand total, in the past two months alone I'll have sat 8 hours and 10 minutes worth of exams :shock:

The EDL were in town on Saturday and I noticed it looked like their attitude rubbed off. Then has an unpleasant chat with a job advisor who seemed to not want to explain what my next appointment was about. However the day is beautiful and the lousiness of today's visit to town and upcoming phonecall to student finance will not ruin my mood. Also I think my broken laptop is ready to be picked up from the store which is another plus.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢