28-Feb-2012 - Squeal of Fortune

Saradomin_Mage

If I win a pair of D-claws, I can sell my tradeable version putting an excess of D-claws into the market. Since they have the same stats then there is no need for me to keep my tradeable pair of the item I just won. You say they are incredibly rare - but at 2 spins a day across many thousands of people, it's still a significant number of items.

Millions of people play the lottery each week here in the UK but it isn't messing up the economy. This hasn't created mass unemployment because of everybody having wealth. The same is going to be true in Runescape. The chances of these items is so incredibly low that it is very unlikely they will have any sort of effect on the economy. Your one set of D claws won't be an excess of the item on the market if you attain them once in 5 months for example. Even over thousands of players, it shouldn't have much effect.

The rarity is proven by the lack of posts on here of the rare and valuable items. So far I've seen only two pictures of these items, neither actually acquired by this community.

It does not make sense to put one of the best items in the game in a divine available to players on a lucky roll.

BAD ANALOGY DANZ. OMG so illogical. You see, if there is a 50 million euro/ound/dollar prize, there is probably 75-100m being spent. Some of that money goes to pay to run the lottery etc. Some goes into the business's/gov'ts bank.

Terrible analogy. here its just FREE GOLD/items MAGICALLY appearing for nothing.

Need I go on? I hope not because im off to play a game of league.

@Lactose, its germane to the conversation.

That part doesn't matter at all though. The point is that even when millions do something of chance, it doesn't mean the reward is common. The same goes for this update. Just because there are thousands of players, does not mean the rewards will be anything more than ultra rare, therefore having a negligible if any effect on the markets. Hell, I could go to an extreme and say that the time lost by doing the spins and not boss hunting will have more of an effect on the amount of items coming in to the game. 10,000 boss hunters spend 10 seconds/day not boss hunting, think of the effects! Ok I'm being extreme here, but it's quite simple as long as the rarity is high enough, which evidence shown by the lack of posts here on the forums showcasing rare rewards.

This is hardly evidence of anything, I don't think we can comment on the rarity of an item without a lot more tests. Regardless though, how do you not see a problem in all this? The best items in the game available at a spin of a roll. It simply does not make sense... at all...

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best items in the game available at a spin of a roll. It simply does not make sense... at all...

It's pretty common for a lot of different games though.

Maybe after they review it for feedback, they will make lucky items be reclaimed somehow after like 3 months or so.

hzvjpwS.gif

Scumbag jagex: has a chance to remove gambling and fix the economy; ruins it instead

Danq, the perception that these items dont need to e hunted makes a profound difference, regardless of the actual rarity. Look at divine and ely right now.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

[hide=]

If I win a pair of D-claws, I can sell my tradeable version putting an excess of D-claws into the market. Since they have the same stats then there is no need for me to keep my tradeable pair of the item I just won. You say they are incredibly rare - but at 2 spins a day across many thousands of people, it's still a significant number of items.

Millions of people play the lottery each week here in the UK but it isn't messing up the economy. This hasn't created mass unemployment because of everybody having wealth. The same is going to be true in Runescape. The chances of these items is so incredibly low that it is very unlikely they will have any sort of effect on the economy. Your one set of D claws won't be an excess of the item on the market if you attain them once in 5 months for example. Even over thousands of players, it shouldn't have much effect.

The rarity is proven by the lack of posts on here of the rare and valuable items. So far I've seen only two pictures of these items, neither actually acquired by this community.

It does not make sense to put one of the best items in the game in a divine available to players on a lucky roll.

BAD ANALOGY DANZ. OMG so illogical. You see, if there is a 50 million euro/ound/dollar prize, there is probably 75-100m being spent. Some of that money goes to pay to run the lottery etc. Some goes into the business's/gov'ts bank.

Terrible analogy. here its just FREE GOLD/items MAGICALLY appearing for nothing.

That part doesn't matter at all though. The point is that even when millions do something of chance, it doesn't mean the reward is common. The same goes for this update. Just because there are thousands of players, does not mean the rewards will be anything more than ultra rare, therefore having a negligible if any effect on the markets. Hell, I could go to an extreme and say that the time lost by doing the spins and not boss hunting will have more of an effect on the amount of items coming in to the game. 10,000 boss hunters spend 10 seconds/day not boss hunting, think of the effects! Ok I'm being extreme here, but it's quite simple as long as the rarity is high enough, which evidence shown by the lack of posts here on the forums showcasing rare rewards.

[/hide]

This is hardly evidence of anything, I don't think we can comment on the rarity of an item without a lot more tests. Regardless though, how do you not see a problem in all this? The best items in the game available at a spin of a roll. It simply does not make sense... at all...

All these items are already available "at a spin of a roll" ever since their creation. These are all random drops anyway; just giving us one or two small chances of getting them per day isn't going to have much of an impact on their availability.

Sure, killing the boss monsters requires skill, high levels, and effort, but I guarantee you the Wheel's chance of giving out these items are extraordinarily slim. Just because it looks like the Wheel stopped "right next" to a rare item doesn't mean much of anything. The visual effects are just for show, they tend to give the illusion that you were sooo close to getting that Godsword when the chances of that happening are likely one in a thousand.

You probably have a better chance of somebody wealthy just randomly giving your free st00f than getting anything significant from this Wheel.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

[hide=]

[/hide]

All these items are already available "at a spin of a roll" ever since their creation. These are all random drops anyway; just giving us one or two small chances of getting them per day isn't going to have much of an impact on their availability.

Sure, killing the boss monsters requires skill, high levels, and effort, but I guarantee you the Wheel's chance of giving out these items are extraordinarily slim. Just because it looks like the Wheel stopped "right next" to a rare item doesn't mean much of anything. The visual effects are just for show, they tend to give the illusion that you were sooo close to getting that Godsword when the chances of that happening are likely one in a thousand.

That hardly addresses my point. Regardless of how rare these items maybe (which no one has an accurate rate for, and it is all speculation at this point), the availabillity of these items via a lottery type system makes no sense. You are right that the drop rates of these items are also at a spin of a roll but you still have to gear up, go to Corp and kill it in order to get the item. The best items in the game should not available like this and that is my point.

I feel like this is entirely just a marketing gimmick to get more subscribers. I wouldn't be surprised if F2P have a higher chance of getting rare items so that they face the dilemma of subscribing multiple times a month.

My thoughts as well. This was one of the reasons I quit playing months ago. Jagex began focusing more on money rather than on what the game needed.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

[hide=]

[/hide]

That hardly addresses my point. Regardless of how rare these items maybe (which no one has an accurate rate for, and it is all speculation at this point), the availabillity of these items via a lottery type system makes no sense. You are right that the drop rates of these items are also at a spin of a roll but you still have to gear up, go to Corp and kill it in order to get the item. The best items in the game should not available like this and that is my point.

A lack of evidence is evidence in this case. these forums are normally littered with screenshots of new content, especially if something as rare as one of the high value rewards from this update. Yet, so far, only two screenshots have been posted.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I hate that to see someone gain a level 99 in your world you need your 'Game' on All. I want to be able to congratulate random people on getting an awesome reward from this event or someone gaining a 99, but im not going to spam myself in the process.

On a totally different note - does anyone know if court summons have been nerfed from Al-kharid warriors?

Koolcookie0.png

Runescape Player Since '04 | Tif Member since '06 | Max Combat | Too Busy Playing MW3

Remember: Anyone who is worse than you is a noob. Anyone who is better has no life!

A lack of evidence is evidence in this case

You would be correct if we're at say, day 3. We're...what, 5 hours into the update?

If we're arguing for this update, as we both are, we have to at least be willing to admit that we're only hoping for it at this point to be true.

hzvjpwS.gif

A lack of evidence is evidence in this case

You would be correct if we're at say, day 3. We're...what, 5 hours into the update?

If we're arguing for this update, as we both are, we have to at least be willing to admit that we're only hoping for it at this point to be true.

True, but as this is something most players will do on logging in, it is different from normal content that it takes much less time for results to come through. With 70k+ people online, it is safe to assume there have been at least 50,000 spins (accounting for those who don't spin). With so few pictures floating around (considering one of the pictures on these forums didn't originate here) it seems that the rewards must be incredibly rare.

But I admit that until 3-4 days in, a full picture of the rarity won't be clear.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I feel like Charlie Brown in the Halloween episode where he looks in his trick-or-treat bag and says with a sigh, "I got a rock".

I got 3 logs.

That's the pessimist's view. An optimist would say you got 120 Firemaking xp. ;)

I got 50 gp, Twice!

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Fire_God.png

To be honest I think what will affect the economy the most will be the ability (Or lack thereof) to use these in pvp. Besides dragon claws and spirit shields the higher end-armors and weapons have even better replacements for the .01% (Ex: Nex>Arma/Bandos) so the only impact they would have would be lowering the demand slightly because mid-level players aren't buying quite as many. But if these can be used in pvp, and have differing/no drop value I can forsee all kinds of chaos. Oh, and for the record I got 2x50 gp <_<

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I don't see this as a beneficial update at all. It gives more benefit to luck than actual time spent in-game. Although this is something analogous to lucky drops at boss monsters, it doesn't add the balance of having to fight the monster to get the reward in the first place.

Possibility of a F2P account getting Members rewards? How is this, in any shape, beneficial? How does it interest people into becoming members? Really, what the heck were they thinking when they deployed this?

</flame>

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

^^ More like 100 firemaking XP. :(

On a totally different note - does anyone know if court summons have been nerfed from Al-kharid warriors?

Maybe.. I was pickpocketing them for a bit a while ago and never got one. Why are you asking?

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

^^ More like 100 firemaking XP. :(

Maybe.. I was pickpocketing them for a bit a while ago and never got one. Why are you asking?

I've used these for my court summons for months now and recently i've gotten nothing from them which is pretty rare.

Koolcookie0.png

Runescape Player Since '04 | Tif Member since '06 | Max Combat | Too Busy Playing MW3

Remember: Anyone who is worse than you is a noob. Anyone who is better has no life!

I don't see this as a beneficial update at all. It gives more benefit to luck than actual time spent in-game. Although this is something analogous to lucky drops at boss monsters, it doesn't add the balance of having to fight the monster to get the reward in the first place.

Possibility of a F2P account getting Members rewards? How is this, in any shape, beneficial? How does it interest people into becoming members? Really, what the heck were they thinking when they deployed this?

</flame>

They were thinking that if they gave an f2per something like an ely or godsword, they'd be like, "come to members and try it out, or throw this potential millions of gp value item away. YOUR CHOICE. :wink: "

8f14270694.jpg

</flame>

They were thinking that if they gave an f2per something like an ely or godsword, they'd be like, "come to members and try it out, or throw this potential millions of gp value item away. YOUR CHOICE. :wink: "

A lot of these things have reqs that most f2pers, especially newer once certainly wouldn't have. I suppose that could also be an incentive: "You could train in f2p till you have the levels, or get them even faster in members."

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I would like to submit todays update as evidence that 'stupid pills' not only exist, but a few people at Jagex are using them.

The prizes are either soul crushing in their pointlessness (the soul crushing comes from giving you hope of cool prizes, and then giving you a steaming pile of manure instead), or allow you to bypass the mechanics of the game such as earning money to buy things, or having the skills to get stuff as loot yourself. Also, it allows you to bypass training with lamps (to be clear, I don't have an issue with xp rewards, only large ones that you don't have to do anything to get), which is like the whole point of the game for many people.

It's like perfectly crafted to be a lose lose thing.

As another point, it has no lore, and doesn't actually exist since it has no game location. I greatly dislike the idea of adding content that doesn't actually fit into the game itself. The fact that it doesn't actually fit into the game at all is my major objection to this. I can live with the other stuff, but its like someone got high, thought this would be a good idea, and thumb tacked a flash game onto RuneScape. Maybe next they can give us a log in game where we play one of those games where you have a car that has to dodge back and forth on the road to get around obstacles, and give out xp lamps based on how long till you crash.

I would like to submit todays update as evidence that 'stupid pills' not only exist, but a few people at Jagex are using them.

The prizes are either soul crushing in their pointlessness (the soul crushing comes from giving you hope of cool prizes, and then giving you a steaming pile of manure instead), or allow you to bypass the mechanics of the game such as earning money to buy things, or having the skills to get stuff as loot yourself. Also, it allows you to bypass training with lamps (to be clear, I don't have an issue with xp rewards, only large ones that you don't have to do anything to get), which is like the whole point of the game for many people.

It's like perfectly crafted to be a lose lose thing.

As another point, it has no lore, and doesn't actually exist since it has no game location. I greatly dislike the idea of adding content that doesn't actually fit into the game itself. The fact that it doesn't actually fit into the game at all is my major objection to this. I can live with the other stuff, but its like someone got high, thought this would be a good idea, and thumb tacked a flash game onto RuneScape. Maybe next they can give us a log in game where we play one of those games where you have a car that has to dodge back and forth on the road to get around obstacles, and give out xp lamps based on how long till you crash.

Totally agree.

It's the people who can actually obtain these high-level drops who are paying the price for this update eventually. The end-game rewards are getting stripped down.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

roll for elysian

get 50gp

winrar