11-Dec-2013 - The Bird and the Beast (World Event 2)

Ned

Pretty sure you still get ambushed if you're not aligned, though not sure what by.

If it turns out the godless ambush you for not choosing a god... I'll laugh. A lot.

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Anyone else having the problem when trying to join in a Battle or Skirmish.

Every time I click on a Bandos NPC I lose connection - can do anything else in game, so this is the trigger for a DC.

Great programming Jagex :)

the_lad_1.png

I keep getting logged out =C!

Way to go Jagex for ruining my maxing =/ I still need a lot of expees to max!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

If they wanted this to be pvp, why are there no obelisks inside the wilderness that give 2x the renown?

On that note, why do they have skirmishes in the wilderness?

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

keep it SAFE! =P

This is supposed to be a war... with death and huge losses on both sides.

I don't think a lot of players would take part in the wilderness skirmishes, if available. Probably that would result in something similar too warbands. I know I wouldn't...I enjoy the event the way it is tho, it's actually quite fun to get ambushed by other players without the fear of losing stuff :) (at least this is way more fun than the first world event..)

If they wanted this to be pvp, why are there no obelisks inside the wilderness that give 2x the renown?

To give newer players a taste.

There are convoys in the wilderness volcano, the deepest level.

Wilderness =/ all PVP

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

To give newer players a taste.

There are convoys in the wilderness volcano, the deepest level.

Wilderness =/ all PVP

There are convoys in the wilderness?

What?

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

It keeps saying a ... convoy has spawned in the Wilderness Volcano!

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/The_Bird_and_the_Beast?file=Wilderness_Volcano_skirmish_location.png

So it's safe and unsafe PVP & there has been quite some action there at times :)... I wish these caravans would just travel all over the wilderness and supply camps with additional supplies. 

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

A minigame/event with a dangerous option styled after these would be cool, but considering this one takes place across large patches of the (safe) world...

I dunno, wait for this one to blow over, use the feedback to balance PvP, and then introduce it? They'd be idiots not to try to get feedback out of us when most of the community is doing PVP here.

A minigame/event with a dangerous option styled after these would be cool, but considering this one takes place across large patches of the (safe) world...

I dunno, wait for this one to blow over, use the feedback to balance PvP, and then introduce it? They'd be idiots not to try to get feedback out of us when most of the community is doing PVP here.

I think the biggest feedback they can take from this is:

People enjoy safe pvp.

People do not enjoy dangerous pvp.

(Where people is defined as 'most players')

For the foreseeable future I think the best way forward for pvp in runescape is trying to build something that ins engaging and reward but predominantly safe (as in perhaps there's a tax or fee or some sort  to get in but its mostly safe - in my head something like 'totems' would work nice like to go in you have to have 1 totem per 10 cmb lvls and they cost say 1k-500k then dying makes you drop 1 totem for ur killer to grab then on exit totems can be turned bk to gp or traded in for rewards of some sort). Once you get people engaged again test the water with more unsafe stuff.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think the biggest feedback they can take from this is:

People enjoy safe pvp.

People do not enjoy dangerous pvp.

(Where people is defined as 'most players')

I'm saying something like that because I don't really enjoy safe PVP as it is, and the same kind of changes they could make to safe PVP would probably make dangerous PVP more enjoyable for 'people'.

[spoiler=some observations]

• I mean, I keep using the phrase rocket tag because your normal hits are going to be doing something like 1/8-1/4 of your opponent's HP and armor doesn't really help much (except to give you more HP): you're really only going to miss if the combat triangle is against you. Fights can end before you get thresholds unless one of you brought food. I have to play around with shields later to see how they work. For reference, this is also what's wrong with power/tank/hybrid armor.
  • Stuns are kind of broken and there's no stun immunity/resistance yet. That (unreleased) ultimate, though I really love the idea, sounds like it's basically a free kill for your opponent because of the above. Plus, it's an ultimate.
  • Their attempts at damage scaling generally made 160s in T70-T80 into miniature war gods, especially against 180+s who also have T70-80 equipment. Once again, they've balanced content on the assumption that everyone past a certain level has certain armor, and once again they've overestimated how much levels actually matter in EoC.
  • The minute more than one person gets involved, it stops being a fight and starts being a firing squad. The above issue with stuns gets kind of ridiculous when you could use freedom and then someone else stuns you again, before the ability recharges (Whose idea was it to make the timer so long in the first place?!). Same with ice spells, even in single combat.
  • Death means losing months of work (if dangerous), and that's generally not a pleasant thought considering how unbalanced the whole thing is. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to lose a month of work, I'd like to have a chance to fight back.

I guess the takeaway here is "nerf offense or buff defense, maybe both" and "[bleep] stuns"?

• Like 1

Dangerous PvP isn't fun anymore.

Why? Because the difference between "affordable" armor and "top tier" armor is too massive. Before EoC, for a while, Barrows was the best armor. It gave a sizable advantage, but it wasn't going to make you unkillable, and it was reasonably affordable. Once spirit shields and Nex armor got introduced, it gave a big advantage to players with lots of dosh. However, even if you only had rune armor, you could still have a chance against them - all you needed was a lucky spec from a dds, claws or Korasi's. And of course you would be handsomely rewarded while only risking a few hundred K in armor, food, pots etc.

But nowadays rune armor is shit and you really can't compete with level 90 armor/weapons using level 50 armor and even level 80 weapons. This would be the case even without EoC. Nex/Divines was the beginning of it, and if we still had the old style combat, dangerous PvP would still be dead because of the power creep.

Until we get some decently affordable equipment that can stand up to level 90 stuff, nobody will want to do dangerous PvP. I have hopes for this upcoming smithing rework, as well as the Inventor skill - perhaps they may remedy the situation.

Oh, and here are a few PROTIPS while we're on the subject of PvP:

1. Don't use freedom to escape from basic stuns. By the time you use Freedom and you're able to attack again, you would've been free from the stun if you just waited.

2. Anticipation should be used preemptively to reduce the amount of stuns you take. If you get stunned, don't worry. It's only 3 seconds, and won't be too much of a problem in 1v1.

3. Freedom should be used to get rid of nasty DoT effects, such as Slaughter and Fragmentation Shot. I see a lot of people complaining about how "OP" these are, but they don't realize they can easily break out with Freedom.

4. Only use Freedom to get out of stun-combos (Asphyxiate and Destroy) if you have your own stun ready, and you're confident you can hit them with it. Simply getting out of the stun won't stop their combo, and it's hard to just run out of their range if they're mobile. Binding magic (Ice Barrage, Entangle etc.) can essentially stop Destroy if you freeze them and move out of range.

5. Save your stuns to interrupt combos, as mentioned in #4. Also, as mentioned in #2, stuns are only 3 seconds. They only really give you one extra attack, a bit of an adrenaline lead, and a little extra damage if you use Punish, Wrack, or Piercing Shot. It's generally better to wait for your opponent to start using Assault or what have you, then waste it with your stun. Stuns, especially Binding Shot and Impact, can also keep an opponent from escaping.

6. Use protect/deflect prayers. Soul split should be saved for PvM. In PvP, protect prayers are invaluable for reducing the opponent's ability to kill you during a stun, and reducing the stun duration itself. Soul split's tiny bit of healing simply doesn't compare.

7. if you're outnumbered, don't worry. You're expected to die. This is nothing new to Runescape, because even before EoC, being outnumbered was a statistical death sentence. Getting stunned twice is really nowhere bad as getting DRAGON CLAW'D FOUR TIMES WAS. I think some people forget about that.

8. Wear tank armor. If you're getting killed before you can even reach 50% adrenaline, you're not wearing good armor for PvP.

9. Natural Instinct. Use it. If you've completed The World Wakes, you can use this ability to take your opponent's entire adrenaline bar. It might seem silly, as it uses up 100% of your own, but think of it this way: if you get to 100% before them, you can take their ~90% or whatever and leave them with 0%. That's a massive advantage. Even if they only have 50% adrenaline when you steal it, you're still giving yourself a big lead.

10. Keep your ability book open. Your ability bar can't hold nearly enough abilities to be effective in combat. Having everything you need at your fingertips can mean the difference between life and death, really. If you have enough space on your screen, consider giving each ability book its own little window. Having quick access to every defence ability for Anticipation, Freedom, etc. saves me a ton of space on my ability bar.

• Like 5

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

It's actually worse now because of the exponential settings for armor, so that 90 is not just "better" than 80, it's massively better. Wearing t85 tank armor doesn't really do anything against t90 weapons from my experience.

Also, it's stupid that freedom doesn't just work instantly if you're under a stun.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

It's actually worse now because of the exponential settings for armor, so that 90 is not just "better" than 80, it's massively better. Wearing t85 tank armor doesn't really do anything against t90 weapons from my experience.

Also, it's stupid that freedom doesn't just work instantly if you're under a stun.

Level 80 Nex sets were massively better than level 70 Barrows sets. I can only imagine, if EoC was never released, that level 90 armor would be even more ridiculously powerful.

Ports armor is noticeably better than, say, Barrows armor. You still get hit often by level 90 weapons, but there's definitely a difference. Also having higher max health is a massive boon.

Freedom does work instantly, but, just like any other ability, there's a 1.8 second cooldown before you can use another ability.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000