"I want a girlfriend/boyfriend", and other such relationship advice

Da_Latios

Yeeah, I get a lot of my life advice from Scrubs.

i knew i saw that from somewhere :o

ok anyways im going on an "outing" with a girl im interested in on Friday, we're going to a 4th of July carnival so as long as she doesnt think im a coward because i refuse to go upside down on rides i should be fine...

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Depends what kind of man she's after :P I once dated someone who cried like a little girl on some lame ride that went around in a circle, not even fast. Nothing wrong with that, apart from feeling like I had more balls than he and unfortunately for him his personality was the same :P

The same guy who went shopping with me, kissed my [wagon] and held my bags...

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

just thought i'd make a quick side note to the jock thing, only hate them as thats all we have in my town. so its a personal thing rather then an overall thing, you'd understand in my situation... *13-15yo preggerz*

onto my main issue.

Hi, recently its been a year that i've been single, i hate it to be honest. whenever i try to meet new people i always tense up into thinking im goingto screw up, or i'll get rejected, or worse has a boyfriend already. for those who know australia my only location of "touring" is Newcastle. now im not 18 for another 3 months so pubs, clubs etc are ruled out. as a 17 year old boy with obvious anxiety, how do i go about meeting new girls? i dont go arse kiss'n and do everyithng a girl says but i try to help as much as possible which seems to screw me over and makes me worse. how do i meet new girls, build a character for myself (mentally you baffoon) and dont act so shy everywhere. plus the beach is all Newcastle has and as much as liking shopping is wierd for a guy, going to be awkward walking upto someone in the mall going: "Hi im Tim." just cant seem to do it. -.-

anyway thanks if you can help.

But you could do that. It would only be awkward if your not confident. If you have your mates with you it should be easy to meet people, just don't think it's awkward and it won't be.

The beach is a great place to meet people. Ever heard of fishing? Just chuck around a footy with your mates and they'll direct it towards a group of girls. :lol:

You can even meet people on a bus. If theres lots of people your age, just pull out your phone and look up people's bluetooth. Find a girls name and call it out. If they turn around, say hello. :D

main prob with mates is that girls ALWAYS seem to go for them instead of me. no matter [garden tool] much we avoid it, it always happens. plus hate football.

plus i do lack confidence from previous endevours and mistakes.

Popoto.~<3

From first impressions you sound nerdy (sorry *huggles*) , that's why you're not popular with girls right now. When girls turn in to women, they become more interested in your type. You could always date an older woman or find a nerdy chick with the same mental age as yourself.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I like some of these tips that I'm seeing here. I'll have a girlfriend one day, the only question is, "When?" I also love my classmates, they say that waiting wont help. I just tell them that their relation is good until cash is involved, and ask why they want a girlfriend. They won't answer :XD:. I want one because I enjoy the company. I probably won't actively try to get one anyway, I'll just do as I normally do until the perfect one walks into my life.

edit:lol, 2000th post.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I met a really great girl last weekend. I had a great time with her I didn't realize I we were flirting like crazy during that time until my friend told me when we were leaving. Kinda sucks that she's a bit too young and lives too far. Haha.

Am I missing something? What happened to your girlfriend?

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Ha ok, just found out this hilarious story from a friend of mine, thought you all would like to know, as it relates to the whole relationship thing.

Basically, a friend of his, unwittingly, had one of the most amazing love triangles going that i've ever heard of. Believe it or not, he was going out with two girls at the same time, and the two girls were going out with each other. Each relationship was not aware that the others were happening. They never realised, this was about a month ago when my friend found out, and the guy was just introduced to him at a party, so i wouldn't know what's happening now. Yeah. Thought i'd just tell a story ha.

I'm kinda of torn between liking the guy because he was in an amazing situation, and really not liking him at all because he was running with two girlfriends at the same time.

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

Ha ok, just found out this hilarious story from a friend of mine, thought you all would like to know, as it relates to the whole relationship thing.

Basically, a friend of his, unwittingly, had one of the most amazing love triangles going that i've ever heard of. Believe it or not, he was going out with two girls at the same time, and the two girls were going out with each other. Each relationship was not aware that the others were happening. They never realised, this was about a month ago when my friend found out, and the guy was just introduced to him at a party, so i wouldn't know what's happening now. Yeah. Thought i'd just tell a story ha.

I'm kinda of torn between liking the guy because he was in an amazing situation, and really not liking him at all because he was running with two girlfriends at the same time.

I don't know, you could just be his friend, and ignore the two girls he is going out with. Both sides win, everyone is happy.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I guess I need a bit of help, yeh? Anyways. I'm going into 9th grade, and I've had one girlfriend, and that was a year ago, in which we did absolutely nothing. No holding hands, etc. I wouldn't say I'm ugly, on a scale of 1-10, i'd say 6-7. I wear good clothes. I make people laugh. I'm nice to most people unless they're arses or [puncture]s. I'm a smart guy, I get good grades. I'm friends with lots of people. I'm fairly popular. I know almost everybody, and can just go up to them and say 'Hey, what's up?'

The only problem I think I might have is that I'm not sociable or something, since my parents won't let me have Myspace, Facebook, etc, and I feel really embarrased about my cell phone. I went out with two friends of mine, one being my best friend, and the other a cool but really harsh guy. I went to call my mom to come pick me up, and he just started bursting out laughing at my phone when he saw it.

I have AIM and MSN though. I have about 7-8 friends on it, and girls I might like to date. Although in the past month since school went out, only one's come on, and that's my best friend. Everyone else seem's to have disappeared or blocked me for some reason. They'll talk to me once and disappear.

To the problem, at least. I can't get anyone to like me. I hear all the time, my friends are talking to each other how about 'So and so likes Lester', in which Lester's a mean little kid. Everyone seems to have at least one person liking them, except for me. I never hear anyone say 'Ben, Haley might like you' or 'Ben, Abby likes you.' I never get anyone to flirt with me. I just honestly don't know what I'm doing to girls to not attract them - I have lots of friends that are girls, so it's not like I don't know how to talk to them.

I mean, is it because I don't have Myspace (which may sound sorta shallow, but it does help communicate and talk to people lots more then sitting at home and not does ;) ) or is it some unknown reason that nobody can figure out? I just don't know what I'm doing honestly lol, everyone seems to go out with everybody else.

Ah well. Thanks for help/listeninig to my rant.

zoolanderzw2.jpg

Bah, same case, same case. Whatev.

I guess I need a bit of help, yeh? Anyways. I'm going into 9th grade, and I've had one girlfriend, and that was a year ago, in which we did absolutely nothing. No holding hands, etc. I wouldn't say I'm ugly, on a scale of 1-10, i'd say 6-7.

Fix that mentality. Don't go so far as being like me and having to stop for ten seconds at the minimum every time you pass a flat object with reflective qualities, but that's not the best way to describe yourself. I mean, if you're willing to go far enough to calling yourself a 7, you shouldn't be saying "I'm not a 2". Get what I'm saying?

I wear good clothes. I make people laugh. I'm nice to most people unless they're arses or [puncture]s. I'm a smart guy, I get good grades. I'm friends with lots of people. I'm fairly popular. I know almost everybody, and can just go up to them and say 'Hey, what's up?'

The only problem I think I might have is that I'm not sociable or something, since my parents won't let me have Myspace, Facebook, etc, and I feel really embarrased about my cell phone. I went out with two friends of mine, one being my best friend, and the other a cool but really harsh guy. I went to call my mom to come pick me up, and he just started bursting out laughing at my phone when he saw it.

One: force your parents to let you have Facebook [ie, not Myspace]. Tell them all the pro's, tell them how great it is for meeting people and even staying in touch with people who move away. In this day and age, it really is invaluable as a social tool, and I honestly wish I'd used it more myself in high school.

Facebook is safer by the way. Make sure to tell your parents that only people who you accept as friends can see your profile, if they're overprotective crazies [no offense] about pedo's or something. Really, there's no reason for them to not let you use it, you've just got to give them the right argument is all.

Two: What kind of cell is it? I mean, a decent phone shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks...; either you're using some crazy phone from the 70's or your friend is a little off in the materialism category.

I have AIM and MSN though. I have about 7-8 friends on it, and girls I might like to date. Although in the past month since school went out, only one's come on, and that's my best friend. Everyone else seem's to have disappeared or blocked me for some reason. They'll talk to me once and disappear.

Again, FB. If you're parents won't let you, sneak on. Srsly.

To the problem, at least. I can't get anyone to like me. I hear all the time, my friends are talking to each other how about 'So and so likes Lester', in which Lester's a mean little kid. Everyone seems to have at least one person liking them, except for me. I never hear anyone say 'Ben, Haley might like you' or 'Ben, Abby likes you.' I never get anyone to flirt with me. I just honestly don't know what I'm doing to girls to not attract them - I have lots of friends that are girls, so it's not like I don't know how to talk to them.

It might be one of those "big brother" things people on this thread have been talking about. Like, basically being stuck in the friend zone.

I mean, is it because I don't have Myspace (which may sound sorta shallow, but it does help communicate and talk to people lots more then sitting at home and not does ;) ) or is it some unknown reason that nobody can figure out? I just don't know what I'm doing honestly lol, everyone seems to go out with everybody else.

Maybe you're just not enough of a jerk.

I mean that seriously. Are you willing to facetiously insult with close/maybe-not-close friends, females or otherwise, or do you generally act nice all the time?

Oh, ya, right. CONFIDENCE. Gunna say that for everyone here until I see a break in the trend :thumbsup: .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Thanks for help Reb. I do have tons of confidence when I talk to people. I'm really arrogant actually when I talk to them.

Thing about myspace\facebook is that my parents are the type that watch Fox News and stress that even when i'm on the computer, that some pedophile is going to try and kidnap me. It doesn't help seeing constant alerts from Fox News of the newest girl being kidnapped beacuse she met some guy online then gets raped and murdered. Myspace is the only thing I'm 100% banned from actually, they say if they ever see me on that I'll be perma-banned from comp. Scary stuff .. But yeah, I've been thinking of working on it. I can work over my mom by telling her the thing of 'it'll help keep in touch with kids from school, I won't put any personal info or pics on there, I'm just gonna use it to talk to people ..'

Again, FB. If you're parents won't let you, sneak on. Srsly.

? I think you misunderstood me. I'm aloud to get on AIM and MSN, but once I talk to friends from school once, they just disappear from it.

zoolanderzw2.jpg

I don't know how old you are, but Facebook has recently taken on some higher security measures against child/minor/whatever soliciting. (Sp?)

I wish I could help you there, I'm in a similar situation.

C2b6gs7.png

he just started bursting out laughing at my phone when he saw it.

Who cares? It's probably that crappy, it's funny. Run with the joke, don't hide it. That's the only way you'll lose.

I have AIM and MSN though. I have about 7-8 friends on it, and girls I might like to date. Although in the past month since school went out, only one's come on, and that's my best friend. Everyone else seems to have disappeared or blocked me for some reason. They'll talk to me once and disappear.

Don't over think that, msn is msn. Perhaps those people don't use it much, thats not uncommon.

You know, its funny. Back in those grades I thought the same thing. I always heard about others but never about me. Years later I found out that there were many people into me, I just didn't know it. People are just anxious about that person finding out about their attraction at that age.

Yeah, I think you need myspace. Girls will still be a little shy about obvious flirting, but with things like myspace, it's easier for them to do so.

Don't worry about your parents rule, go behind their back. Your parents are going to forbid you to do a lot of things, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's whats best for you.

I think you just need to take a little more initiative., be a little more aggressive with your interests perhaps. If your interested in someone, you can let them know without telling them. Subtle (but not overly subtle) hint are a good way to go about it.

Um, try organising group outings to the movies, I'm pretty sure thats what I did in year 9 rather then 'dates'.

untitled-1.png

Again, thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it. The only friend that I've been able to talk to this summer seems to be a bit wierd whenever I suggest going to the movies with people, he always say things like 'Oh you wouldn't like the people I hang out with ..' Even though he knows everybody at our school, we could invite them. But whatever I guess, eh.

Thanks again.

zoolanderzw2.jpg

Wow, just wow at all those people telling him to go against his parents...

Seriously, just listen to them. As long as you live under their roof, its their rules.

No drinking means that, no smoking means that. Its a blanket rule no matter where you are, because you still live under the roof which your parents provide.

Teenage rebellion may seem like a good idea. But, if you do decide to go against your parents, then one day you'll look back and think of what an idiot you were.

I'm not saying blindly follow your parents. However, go by their experience, and use it to help shape your own.

Once you're paying for your own housing, clothing, food and pretty much everything else, then you can do whatever the [bleep] you want, for now, just listen to your parents.

Don't worry about the whole girls not being into you sort of thing, some might be, just keep quiet about it. Rejection is one of a teenager's biggest fears, it stops us from alot of things.

Like say... not being into the music everyone else is, not having following the same clothing trends, they could lead to social rejection. (Not saying you sohuld follow these, be an individual, you'll be able to see true friends from that)

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Miss me? ::' I've been traveling all over California and my god I must say: You Americans all have it way easier over here. If I so much as say "hi" to someone in France they'll give me the "awkward look" but already after being in California for a week I've met some really interesting people out in the most surprising places. It's much easier to talk to complete strangers in the US than in France.

Anyways, Derek's question is right up my alley.

I guess I need a bit of help, yeh? Anyways. I'm going into 9th grade, and I've had one girlfriend, and that was a year ago, in which we did absolutely nothing. No holding hands, etc. I wouldn't say I'm ugly, on a scale of 1-10, i'd say 6-7. I wear good clothes. I make people laugh. I'm nice to most people unless they're arses or [puncture]s. I'm a smart guy, I get good grades. I'm friends with lots of people. I'm fairly popular. I know almost everybody, and can just go up to them and say 'Hey, what's up?'

Erm, two things. First of all having a girlfrind but without doing anything is like buying a game and setting it on a shelf. But I guess you're younger, well at least keep in mind that a real girlfriend involves much more than just holding hands. Second, define "popular" because those are generally the people who get plenty of attention and one of your later questions leads me to belive you're on your way to becoming popular.

Although that's a pretty favorable description. Making people laugh is a HUGE social asset, so is the ability to just go up and talk to people (assuming they respond well). You're already describing yourself in a humble but positive way which is pretty good. Much better than some people who can only think negative things about themselves.

Alright, I'll get to the Myspace/Facebook stuff in a bit, but about the phone thing. Honestly, don't let it get to you. My phone (or what USE to be my phone, luckily), is probably the [cabbage]tiest phone on the planet; all it does is make calls but that's all I use it for. Often times when people complain about their phone I like to pull out mine to see what a really bad phone is. I've given it to people to put their phone number in and I've never had anyone critisize it, probably because they know I wouldn't care. So basically, if you care about what people think of your phone (you shouldn't), people will make fun of you. It's just a phone, really. Make a joke out of how bad it is if you'd like.

I mentioned my stance on how I believe you can have fruitful conversations with girls on MSN, but honestly, not a lot of chemistry happens there, or at least not a lot compared to what goes on in real life. Judging by what most MSN convos are like, you arn't missing too much. I'll only give out my MSN to a girl who asks for it ayways, or if I need to talk to them for practical reasons. I don't try and establish a brand new conection with a complete stranger on MSN (which I think can be done much better IRL)

Ok now this is big (and I'm going to discuss PUA stuff so if you don't like this sort of stuff just skip it at your loss). In PUA, one of the most vital aspects is to generate. Now, generating attraction is done by showing qualities that girls seek in a guy. These usually involve confidence, humor, sociability, leadership etc... (note: looks don't matter AS MUCH as they do for guys). More often than not, you need to be the one who goes up and talks to the girls and then entertain them with interesting stories, flirt casually or other stuff. If there's a group of you talking you can be the leader of the group who socializes with everyone. It's harder to do but if you are running the set girls will already see you as a "social guy". There are so many ways to generate attraction (like the famous Cocky&Funny) but here's the catch: you can't just rehearse a bunch of lines and expect that to work, you have to be smooth, comfortable and natural when you talk and that takes practice in social environments. The more you talk to girls, the more you go out to parties or other social activities and the more you are comfortable in social environments, the more fun this will be!

Generating attraction leads to indicators of interest (another PUA term). Girls saying "I like xyz" is an obvious one (and in 9th grade I suspect it doesn't hold much significance anyways), but rarely seen. That's not what you should look for (sometimes they will say stuff like "I think you're cute" or other lines). Instead, notice subtle hints in their body language like if she's turned towards you or away from you (turning away is an indicator of disinterest BTW), if she's stopped what she's doing to listen to you and lots of small stuff that you can see with more experience. Girls will communicate a LOT with their body and if you can become aware of these little things, you'll be able to tell if they are attracted to you or not.

In the end, I wouldn't wait for a girl to say she likes you. The best way to make it happen is to go out there and meet these girls and most importantly don't feel that everyone in 9th grade has another person who likes them. That's far from the case.

I mean, is it because I don't have Myspace (which may sound sorta shallow, but it does help communicate and talk to people lots more then sitting at home and not does ;) )

Now about myspace/facebook. Honestly, I felt I was missing out on something huge but it wasn't that big of a deal after signing up. It is true, it's nice to have people say "Hey I saw your skiing pictures yesterday that way sweet" or "Hey I saw that video, did you really climb up there?" or the random posts on my Wall but to me Facebook has two purposes: Finding out about social events (and even, word of mouth works pretty well) and meeting up with friends I havn't seen in 5-10 years. It DOES help for social purposes so it's worth a shot, but nothing replaces real-life interactions (where everything has more meaning than on the net). Oh and for the record, I'd say talk your parents into it and explain how you're aware of the risks, you know how to be careful about meeting strangers and won't get raped IN THE BUTT :lol:

or is it some unknown reason that nobody can figure out? I just don't know what I'm doing honestly lol, everyone seems to go out with everybody else.

I know why: It's because you're not one of the alpha males that everyone gravitates around (but you can become something like them), and because you're worrying too much about having someone who likes you (which then creates the illusion that EVERYONE is dating someone and I guarentee you that is not the case). That's not how it works. If you want to get a girlfriend, you need to go out and meet girls for the sake of being a social guy. One could also say that once you don't care about getting a girlfriend, you'll get one. Or to put it shortly: get some confidence as reb said. That is what it's all about. That and being social since meeting people leads to meeting more people (as in, you don't like a certain girl, but you might love her friend who she might introduce to you). Meet all kinds of people, you'd be amazed what comes up.

PS: I forgot to add something when you mentioned you don't have girls flirting with you.

There's a trick to flirting wih girls, you have to show you're comfortable with flirting by flirting with them first. Now here's something that acted to a wake-up call for me. I remember looking on the internet and seeing this guy say that it's totally "wrong" to flirt with several girls at a time, and that you shouldn't do it till you know a girl cause she might have a boyfriend. Now I feel sorry for that guy, because he's going to feel awkward around girls and he's totally missed the point. Needless to say it's terrible advice instead, flirt with everyone. This has so many advantages. It shows you've got confidence, it shows that you are totally comfortable about risky subjects, it shows that you're not at all shallow (i.e. flirting with only the popular girls), it creates FAR more options with girls which lowers fear of rejection and you can learn SO MUCH FROM IT (think of it as risk vs reward). I flirt with everyone (in a pretty wide age bracket too), that includes girls that I don't have any interest in dating, girls that arn't exactly considered "attractive", girls that I have just met minutes ago, girls that honestly freak me out, my friend's girlfriend or even some mild flirts with guys just for fun :lol: . The biggest misconception that I have seen is people automatically assuming that flirting with a girl means you want her in bed and that by flirting with a girl I don't like, she might "accidently" like me. When I flirt not only do I show just how comfortable and confident I am, but all I get in return is more flirting/teasing/smiles/giggles. Girls truely enjoy it (or at least most do, and if they don't then doesn't matter, a great majority do, assuming you can phrase it right). Word of caution: It is possible to go overboard or make some too heavy sexual innuendo but honestly, get the inroduction right and you'd be amazed what you can get away with.

PPS: Sworddude, would you mind keeping the somewhat interesting debate about parental authority out of the relationship thread? I recognize it's value (and heck, parent-child relationships are relationships) but it's a big subject of debate (especially on a forum full of teens) and might take up too much space on this thread.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Ok, here the situation I'm in lets see if someone can help me...

I like this girl. I have for over 2 years now. But yet I don't think she knows who I am. She is one of the 'preps' (people who are popular, basically). And I am considered a nerd/geek (even though I don't get great grades, I ride a dirt bike in my spare time - not study. And I exercise + lift weights). but I did sit next to her for half of the school year in 6th grade (after that half is when I started liking her)... before there was moving from class to class. And I don't have summer school... so I can't talk to her. So what what should I do? Also; I'm 14 and going into the 9th grade, so I can't drive or anything.

Ok, here the situation I'm in lets see if someone can help me...

I like this girl. I have for over 2 years now. But yet I don't think she knows who I am. She is one of the 'preps' (people who are popular, basically). And I am considered a nerd/geek (even though I don't get great grades, I ride a dirt bike in my spare time - not study. And I exercise + lift weights). but I did sit next to her for half of the school year in 6th grade (after that half is when I started liking her)... before there was moving from class to class. And I don't have summer school... so I can't talk to her. So what what should I do? Also; I'm 14 and going into the 9th grade, so I can't drive or anything.

i havent really given advice on here before but ill give it a go :D

sounds like one of those teen movies tbh. If you havent got a way to contact her until after summer then wait till school starts again. When school starts try starting up a conversation with her and get to know her a bit before you ask the almighty question, and when you do ask her just think to yourself "whats the worst that could happen?"

hope that helps a lil :)

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.

My girlfriend said she was going to the mall with friends, and I got a necklace for her. So I go to her dorm (we go to the same college) to put the necklace on her bed and I see shes on top of some guy in her bra and panties making out. I drop the necklace, get a confused look, and run away. Fast. Far.

I think im gonna cry, I punched a wall and it cracked, and my knuckels hurt.

Someone give me advice how to cope before I breakdown. 2 years of dating gone.

GG.gif

Dr Phil should pay me everytime I say this... "The only thing that is worse than being in a bad relationship for 2 years, is being in a bad relationship for 2 years and 1 day."

Be thankful you found out sooner than later. You'll be angry and upset for a while the only thing that cures heartache is time.

Look to the future - One day you'll be staring in to your wife's eyes, dancing on your wedding day and you won't even remember who this girl is.

That being said is it really over? I cheated on Brent in the first couple of weeks we were together, he gave me a second chance and I would never dream of blowing it.

igoddessIsig.png

Be thankful you found out sooner than later. You'll be angry and upset for a while the only thing that cures heartache is time.
I'm almost tempted to disagree with that; and you'd know why. At least, thankfully, his situation wasn't as involved as mine. But yea.. over time it heals, just takes a long, long time... occasionally.

Things could always be worse. My best friend died the day before I was going to let him know how I felt about him. Better moments of shame and hurt than a life time of never knowing.

Rick - Why would you disagree that time heals? Some things stay with people for life but over time it's still not as painful as it originally was.

igoddessIsig.png