Squeal of Fortune + Buyable Spins

Logdotzip

Same CEO... same face for the company.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? I don't give a shit if it's technically legal. Its morally abhorrent!

This.

I don't care whether or not it's called gambling, whether it's legal or not... I just can't understand how they don't feel bad encouraging younger people to spend money to participate in a game of chance.

K, to claim something is morally abhorrent is fine. But I'm going to say its NOT because its not illegal, against the game rules, or anything, and as such can not be immoral. According to Kant, the intentions are the important factor (considering many other things as well, thats just one). You have to actually prove or show WHY its abhorrent. Can't just up and say "its bad cuz I said so". Devil's advocate, yes. But I hate when people say stuff like this without defending it in the slightest.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dk5s7

Gambling, Addiction and Me: The Real Hustler (2 days left)

It's a documentary by the real hustler Alexis Conran about gambling and addiction in the uk. A depressing video I'm sure you will agree and THAT's why I believe the squeal to be morally abhorrent. It introduces people into a dark kind of gaming, a kind of gaming where you can pay £100 for EACH SPIN in bookmakers, a kind of gaming which literally wrecks peoples lives.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

What I think of this update. Unprofessional.

Leaving people's credit card information laying out like this, is poor customer service.

Making the best way to train any skill buy able with real money and not require training the actual skill. Hypocritical to the effigy nerf that only happened a month and a half ago.

I feel Jagex has lost all their ethics and dignities.

I don't really have much of an opinion about the whole 'micro-transactions' thing, I was sure Jagex would end up going that way eventually. After all look at the fortune they made from War of Legends before it became a 'fail' and that was purely based on micro-transactions. With RS it doesn't make any difference to my gameplay, as it's not war based so advantage is only individual. The issue I do have is the same one as many have mentioned....Jagex have taken decisive action previously on 'in game' gambling, yet here they are asking people to use real money on a game of chance they have set up; how is this not double standards? I am very disappointed. :shame:

35cq0q9.png

Same CEO... same face for the company.

Yes, and back then the direction of the company was different. Things change, Mark's still the CEO but the people above him making the big decisions have decided to move to micro-transactions. Things said in the past no longer apply.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

It's a documentary by the real hustler Alexis Conran about gambling and addiction in the uk. A depressing video I'm sure you will agree and THAT's why I believe the squeal to be morally abhorrent. It introduces people into a dark kind of gaming, a kind of gaming where you can pay £100 for EACH SPIN in bookmakers, a kind of gaming which literally wrecks peoples lives.

There we go! I agree, gambling is detrimental overall. But how is this worse (as far as starting addictions, etc) then say boxing, or dicing?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

There we go! I agree, gambling is detrimental overall. But how is this worse (as far as starting addictions, etc) then say boxing, or dicing?

Because this costs people real money (I assume you are talking about Rs boxing or dicing?). All other gambles in Runescape do not if you abide by the rules, and Jagex does what's reasonably within their possibilities to assure that I think.

Because you can spend as much as £200 a DAY on the squeal. For the record, I was against dicing as well and also saw it as an introduction to irl gambling.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Sorry, sure it's been posted a few times on this thread but can't find it. Could someone tell me where I can unlink my card from this, sorry I can't find it though the hard to navigate Jagex website, canceled membership but can't find the option to totally remove the card details.

Strange to have been a member for so long and then have something like this come around and finally be the trigger to leave, oh well hardly been on for the last 3 months, but still. Good job jagex...

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

Instructions are on the main page of Tip.it

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

^

Go to the tipit homepage directions right in the middle

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Thanks, sorry just had the fourms saved as a favourite not the main page so didn't see it.

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

I got a question for business majors or people into that sort of stuff.

How much say does an investor have in a product?

I honestly don't think the coders or people who make the game would have decided to implement this on their own. I mean they even state it in their rules of runescape.

We don’t want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn’t affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape.

I think the investors are pressuring them or something. The J-mods on the forums are just customer support so they have to make the company seem like it's doing its best or be fired.

Runescape seems to be doing fine with over 800k subscribers, however I know they're developing several other games such as transformers MMO, Stellar Dawn (recently scrapped but still time and resources). So maybe while RS seems to be doing fine they're losing money on other fronts and need the investors?

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Sorry, sure it's been posted a few times on this thread but can't find it. Could someone tell me where I can unlink my card from this, sorry I can't find it though the hard to navigate Jagex website, canceled membership but can't find the option to totally remove the card details.

As TS said, I posted an announcement on the front page. If you're still having issues, feel free to PM me.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

New Face of the High Level Forums:

All the Ex-Stakers who made bank IRL and have that kind of cash to burn on levels

hahaha

Hey, if you have 20k (or whatever the estimate was) to blow on Runescape... :razz:

Instead of just the players who have that equivalent in time and patience.

Hey, if you have 20k (or whatever the estimate was) to blow on Runescape... :razz:

... you should instead spend that money on investing?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

From here on out, it's a waiting game.

I'm going to wait the two weeks from Monday to see how many subscribers drop off (a-la HSL), and I'm going to wait for Jagex's official response. The trick here is that the JMods probably have mixed feelings about this matter, or actively oppose the decision, but can't say so in an official capacity, as it would look really bad for the company. Not that they don't look bad from years of "we know what's right, stfu"-like behavior to their fanbase...

Even if people cancel membership now they'll continue to have it for potentially another month. For example, I cancelled my noobs membership on the 14th of March and it is still a member until 8 April. So in two weeks only about 1/30th of the subscriber drop will be present I think.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

I think I'm in the acceptance phase. From all the posted results, this is less gambling and more buying experience. I'm not the type of guy that'll spend 20 dollars for about 125k xp in RC, but if 4 hours of game time saved is worth that to you, have at it. If there's one saving grace, it's that they are experience lamps, so you get better results if you have higher levels.

Probably from now on, people should just track the amount of lamps they get on average from spins instead of the xp itself. That'll give Tip.It calculator wizards a chance to help allow people to determine how much runecrafting or herblore levels can cost them.

ps: I'm still not comfortable with the saved credit card option. What are the precautions taken for account users under 18 years old?

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Having the wheel use your saved info isn't the greatest idea but what companies don't save your info for you?

The thing that's wrong with this is that the account recovery system is TERRIBLE. Anyone can access your account if they know enough about your past account activity. And they should REALLY ask for confirmation. Like to enter the CVS code on the back, or something. ANYTHING. But they don't, you just click a button.

Blakdragon39.png