Squeal of Fortune + Buyable Spins

Logdotzip

Having the wheel use your saved info isn't the greatest idea but what companies don't save your info for you?

None of them that I know of, unless you explicitly ask them to. The problem here is that here's how it worked:

• Enter in your credit card details to buy membership. The card details are not visible and there's nothing else you can buy on RuneScape so you don't worry about it.
  • Suddenly they add a new product (which, unlike membership, can be "mass bought") and pull your credit card details and put them on their new page.
  • Your details are automatically there and you don't have to type in ANY kind of confirmation (not even retype your security code).

If I add my card to Amazon.com and ask it to remember my details, I expect that information to be remembered. I KNOW that I'm on a site for purchasing items. I KNOW what the risks are for entering my credit card information.

If I add my card to RuneScape.com to buy membership, I don't expect other people to be able to charge to my credit card since all you can buy is membership.. and once it's already bought, you can't just mass buy more. But suddenly they add a new feature, pull all existing card details, and have that information automatically filled in when NO ONE said "Yes I want my card details all across the site and available for any future available purchases."

Furthermore, Jagex has a HORRIBLE recovery system. People get accounts via recoveries when they have nowhere near enough information. And I have friends who have gotten hacked despite having gibberish recoveries. What other companies have huge ONGOING problems with hacking? Yes Steam and PlayStation have been hacked, but they were one time instances. Jagex has a huge, constant problem with people being hacked due to their poor recovery system.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if you have 20k (or whatever the estimate was) to blow on Runescape... :razz:

... you should instead spend that money on investing?

This is not a bad idea at all...maybe instead of buying spins we should be all investing in the investment firms that currently own Jagex. If everyone did that, we might actually have enough capital to own Jagex (player owned game firm?).

Stalking through the rs facebook page, I see a few comments that seemed to have actually gotten jmod's attentions - those that reported Jagex to the UK gambling commission.

If this whole scheme is actually deemed real gambling, then rs could actually be shut down by unlicensed gambling...that would be quite amusing tbh.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Hey, if you have 20k (or whatever the estimate was) to blow on Runescape... :razz:

This is not a bad idea at all...maybe instead of buying spins we should be all investing in the investment firms that currently own Jagex. If everyone did that, we might actually have enough capital to own Jagex (player owned game firm?).

Stalking through the rs facebook page, I see a few comments that seemed to have actually gotten jmod's attentions - those that reported Jagex to the UK gambling commission.

If this whole scheme is actually deemed real gambling, then rs could actually be shut down by unlicensed gambling...that would be quite amusing tbh.

Would teach Jagex a lesson for once, that players truly have the most power over their god damn game. They are so stupid imo.

553VriC.png?1

Amusing indeed if RS was shut down because of this. And I'm not quite sure the idea of a player owned RS would be the greatest idea. Who knows what the masses of whiny kids would come up with? Then again, they probably don't have the money to be investing. :P

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

Would teach Jagex a lesson for once, that players truly have the most power over their god damn game. They are so stupid imo.

I hope it does, but I hope Jagex doesn't have a vengeful attitude and just never reopen scape lol

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Having the wheel use your saved info isn't the greatest idea but what companies don't save your info for you?

The thing that's wrong with this is that the account recovery system is TERRIBLE. Anyone can access your account if they know enough about your past account activity. And they should REALLY ask for confirmation. Like to enter the CVS code on the back, or something. ANYTHING. But they don't, you just click a button.

As far as I can tell, the info isn't saved if your account is accessed on another computer.

Furthermore, Jagex has a HORRIBLE recovery system. People get accounts via recoveries when they have nowhere near enough information. And I have friends who have gotten hacked despite having gibberish recoveries. What other companies have huge ONGOING problems with hacking? Yes Steam and PlayStation have been hacked, but they were one time instances. Jagex has a huge, constant problem with people being hacked due to their poor recovery system.

Yup. That's the biggest threat. EVERYTHING that I have paid for on the net with my card will ask me "Do you want to save details", even then you still need to type in the CVV number (aside from Steam, but GL hacking that since it wipes your CC details if you try to buy anything from another PC). Those that dont ask to store details, WONT because it's a blatant invasion of personal privacy and security risk. When I did the 75 spin to record the outcomes, not only would it not allow me to pay via PayPal, but it didn't give an option to say "can we store your data?", It just did. (Thankfully I removed it from my account in an annoying and badly setup manner.)

Point is, Jagex shouldn't be allowed to do this, with such a weak and flawed security system.

Popoto.~<3

Exp/$ for a 99 skill? Just curious.

Even lamps/75 spins would be helpful.

Edit: Found this on the video comments, so I'll use that for my purposes.

Roughly 28% of spins are the 50 GP reward,

~22% are small lamps (Half of the 22% are lamps where the EXP is already chosen in a skill for you)

~12% are Medium lamps (Again, half are lamps that don't let you choose the skill)

I hope it does, but I hope Jagex doesn't have a vengeful attitude and just never reopen scape lol

They wouldn't do that, because of the fact that they did this update to make money. It was NOT for players, otherwise they would exclude the 'gambling' bit from it, the ability to buy tickets/spins.

The real worry would be down time/would it be restarted completely/how many people would quit.

553VriC.png?1

Exp/$ for a 99 skill? Just curious.

Even lamps/75 spins would be helpful.

Edit: Found this on the video comments, so I'll use that for my purposes.

Roughly 28% of spins are the 50 GP reward,

~22% are small lamps (Half of the 22% are lamps where the EXP is already chosen in a skill for you)

~12% are Medium lamps (Again, half are lamps that don't let you choose the skill)

http://forum.tip.it/topic/309834-squeal-of-fortune-buyable-spins/page__view__findpost__p__5223007

That'll help you somewhat. It's my records of all 75 spins of every item recieved. Bold+Italics are mediums, B+I+Underline are Larges and Double Spins.

Popoto.~<3

Same CEO... same face for the company.

Yes, and back then the direction of the company was different. Things change, Mark's still the CEO but the people above him making the big decisions have decided to move to micro-transactions. Things said in the past no longer apply.

The past being what happened...well, how long ago was the release of the Ornate Katana redeemable? The point he's trying to make is that they were holding this policy fast until this happened like a sock-in-the-face, with no preamble or even an attempt to slowly introduce it. And while they've shed the first part of the "we're never doing microtransactions or allowing you to buy an advantage", they're still holding onto the last part of that when it's clearly not true. Can that be easily fixed? Yeah. But for PR and company policy to get on the same page, while doing bunny-hops over the gaping potholes of the other existing issues within the company, it will take months if we're lucky - or we'll get no clarification and just hamfisted transitions as we've already tasted today.

hzvjpwS.gif

[qfc]15-16-808-63665811[/qfc]

Just a small thread I posted about what it would have cost the top ranking hunters with less than 1k total if they got their post 99 exp using the SOF. Don't take it too seriously :P.

I'm curious, people actually believe players are not willing to pay thousands for making a game easier?

Let me bring up an example of another mmo: Requiem Memento Mori. Like many f2p with cash shop mmos, requiem got a plus system for items, the max you can plus an item is +30 and you can enchant it up to 8 out of 8 slots per item. Of course, chances drop DRASTICALLY for every plus, and there's also the risk of downgrading the item and even break it and lose it. And here's where cash shop comes to the rescue! You can buy items to enhance, protect and avoid downgrade, all of them are one time use only, and you can only use up to 3 every try, but ofc, a single character got: 6 armor slots, 1 ornament slot, 8 jewerly slots, 1 weapon slot and 1 shield slot (altho this one depends on class). It doesn't end there, you also need A LOT of this item called "xeon", which rarest and most useful variaton is extremely hard to get unless, you guessed right, cash shop. Many of these items come through "lucky bags" that don't give you the item directly, rather you get them by chance (these are also dropped but the chances are MUCH LESS). So that's 16/17 items you have to "max", and guess how much it costs to "max" an item? If you're lucky, it can go "cheap" and you only end up paying 500 bucks per item, but it can cost anything up to 3k if you have terrible luck, make your calcs...

Considering this is a combat only game, there's not much to compare with runescape, but the idea of the lucky bags, does it sound familiar? For now, runescape has not reached the point where it becomes a must to remain competitive, but then again, so it wasn't with requiem, until people started buying out lucky bags and basically reached godlike level in game, so much, that everyone but the cash shop users, left the game and is now a ghost town with only, AT MOST, 300 "regular players" (ofc, making new content for them to spend thousands every couple of months, it's a nice business). My point is, wether this becomes crucial for getting to enjoy the game or not, it will depend on how players react to this, if it becomes normal to see people literally buying out levels, then you can expect this game to become a ghost town (or zombie state mmo as we call it) with only players abusing of the cash shop left. In my own experience, it took requiem 2 years to reach this point, how long will it take with runescape? Let's just wait and see...

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

Well, maxing out in Runescape isn't all that impressive anymore frankly. There are a couple of people maxing out/obtaining comp cape every day.

I don't really see it being devalued too much.

With that being said, it's still a stupid update.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Starrychelx

SoF at its finest. This guy has been maxing the 200$ limit every day so far.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Just a small thread I posted about what it would have cost the top ranking hunters with less than 1k total if they got their post 99 exp using the SOF. Don't take it too seriously :P.

You must have noticied this too when you were doing this - how many names are obvious bots in just that 1 random section you pulled off the hiscores. What makes it especially sad is that these are spots ranking at the absolute highest of the hiscores, and 1/3-1/2 of them are bots...

To add to your analysis... It's much cheaper to get a good bot and get xp that way than paying jagex's xp store, esp considering that you can literally get 150m hunter by cheating and still be on hiscores.

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Probably in future 'Behind the scenes', you'll start seeing things like these: :lol:

"Eastern Lands and Elven capital-city of Prifniddas

The coming month of update will open up fabulous, new lands to members! Yes, the Eastern Lands and elven-capital city of Prifniddas that you all have been waiting for is finally here! We are giving all members a chance to visit these new places. There will also be exciting quests coming your way. However, the inhabitants of these new lands don't take kindly to visitors! Members wanting to visit this lands will have to pay a fee to enter, which is a one-time fee of $9.90. However for those choosing not to partake in the new content, do not fret! You still have the other 80% more content that free players do not have access to!

Early Bird Bonus

To encourage you to give our updates a go, we'll be offering a discount price of $8.90 for members who pay to enter these lands in the first 2 weeks. We really want people to engage with our best and most up-to-date content as soon as it’s launched, so now there’s an incentive to do so. Look out for more Early Bird bonuses in the future!

New batch of items from Loyalty Shop

We are adding new items to the Loyalty Shop in the coming months! Ever wished you could punch a J-Mod in the face? Members wishing to vent their frustrations on any J-Mods responsible for bad updates now can! We are adding customisation options to the Squeal of Fortune. Players can now customise Yelp with any J-Mod's face and give him/her a virtual punch with every spin you make! For those that are impatient among us and simply can't wait till the next day to punch us in the chops again, you can purchase various spin packages. To do this, simply click the "buy spins" button within the Squeal of Fortune interface.

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates which we hope to launch in the coming month.

This is, however, only a plan, not a promise that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release just release content without proper testing to let players find the bugs for us, so, sometimes, things change or take a bit longer than expected."

I'm curious, people actually believe players are not willing to pay thousands for making a game easier?

Let me bring up an example of another mmo: Requiem Memento Mori. Like many f2p with cash shop mmos, requiem got a plus system for items, the max you can plus an item is +30 and you can enchant it up to 8 out of 8 slots per item. Of course, chances drop DRASTICALLY for every plus, and there's also the risk of downgrading the item and even break it and lose it. And here's where cash shop comes to the rescue! You can buy items to enhance, protect and avoid downgrade, all of them are one time use only, and you can only use up to 3 every try, but ofc, a single character got: 6 armor slots, 1 ornament slot, 8 jewerly slots, 1 weapon slot and 1 shield slot (altho this one depends on class). It doesn't end there, you also need A LOT of this item called "xeon", which rarest and most useful variaton is extremely hard to get unless, you guessed right, cash shop. Many of these items come through "lucky bags" that don't give you the item directly, rather you get them by chance (these are also dropped but the chances are MUCH LESS). So that's 16/17 items you have to "max", and guess how much it costs to "max" an item? If you're lucky, it can go "cheap" and you only end up paying 500 bucks per item, but it can cost anything up to 3k if you have terrible luck, make your calcs...

Considering this is a combat only game, there's not much to compare with runescape, but the idea of the lucky bags, does it sound familiar? For now, runescape has not reached the point where it becomes a must to remain competitive, but then again, so it wasn't with requiem, until people started buying out lucky bags and basically reached godlike level in game, so much, that everyone but the cash shop users, left the game and is now a ghost town with only, AT MOST, 300 "regular players" (ofc, making new content for them to spend thousands every couple of months, it's a nice business). My point is, wether this becomes crucial for getting to enjoy the game or not, it will depend on how players react to this, if it becomes normal to see people literally buying out levels, then you can expect this game to become a ghost town (or zombie state mmo as we call it) with only players abusing of the cash shop left. In my own experience, it took requiem 2 years to reach this point, how long will it take with runescape? Let's just wait and see...

Microtransaction isn't really new to jagex. Their new game, war of legends, you need to pay £69 for 1000 jagex credits, and with these credit you can upgrade armour, buy chest and buy rare item that needs hundreds of hours of work to get without any jagex credits. Initally there werent much people buying jagex credits because frankly they were damn expensive. soon enough jagex started offering double top up weekend, triple top up day, and some amazing offers. This is where the game start to collapse. A small amount of people started buying mass amount jagex credits and their army grew and grew, while the rest of players gets conquered and quit the game. Now, two years since the release of war of legends, each server have about 30 active players out of 20k slot.

I really hope this isnt where runescape is gonna end up.

Amusing indeed if RS was shut down because of this. And I'm not quite sure the idea of a player owned RS would be the greatest idea. Who knows what the masses of whiny kids would come up with? Then again, they probably don't have the money to be investing. :P

I don't think we would like to play RS anymore after 1 month of player-controlled RS...At least I wouldn't.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

You must have noticied this too when you were doing this - how many names are obvious bots in just that 1 random section you pulled off the hiscores. What makes it especially sad is that these are spots ranking at the absolute highest of the hiscores, and 1/3-1/2 of them are bots...

To add to your analysis... It's much cheaper to get a good bot and get xp that way than paying jagex's xp store, esp considering that you can literally get 150m hunter by cheating and still be on hiscores.

Yeah, I chose to do it that way on purpose since it highlights how over 30 bots can be ranked as high as rank 36 (183m hunter exp) without being banned. From rank 36 to 70, I removed 2 people which had a total of more than 1k. The ones I left are assumed to be bots, but a couple may not be. I also thought of your last point, and I'm glad that wasn't missed. You can't be too explicit on the RSOF as naming players as bots is against the rules.

Probably in future 'Behind the scenes', you'll start seeing things like these: :lol:

"Eastern Lands and Elven capital-city of Prifniddas

The coming month of update will open up fabulous, new lands to members! Yes, the Eastern Lands and elven-capital city of Prifniddas that you all have been waiting for is finally here! We are giving all members a chance to visit these new places. There will also be exciting quests coming your way. However, the inhabitants of these new lands don't take kindly to visitors! Members wanting to visit this lands will have to pay a fee to enter, which is a one-time fee of $9.90. However for those choosing not to partake in the new content, do not fret! You still have the other 80% more content that free players do not have access to!

Early Bird Bonus

To encourage you to give our updates a go, we'll be offering a discount price of $8.90 for members who pay to enter these lands in the first 2 weeks. We really want people to engage with our best and most up-to-date content as soon as its launched, so now theres an incentive to do so. Look out for more Early Bird bonuses in the future!

New batch of items from Loyalty Shop

We are adding new items to the Loyalty Shop in the coming months! Ever wished you could punch a J-Mod in the face? Members wishing to vent their frustrations on any J-Mods responsible for bad updates now can! We are adding customisation options to the Squeal of Fortune. Players can now customise Yelp with any J-Mod's face and give him/her a virtual punch with every spin you make! For those that are impatient among us and simply can't wait till the next day to punch us in the chops again, you can purchase various spin packages. To do this, simply click the "buy spins" button within the Squeal of Fortune interface.

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates which we hope to launch in the coming month.

This is, however, only a plan, not a promise that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release just release content without proper testing to let players find the bugs for us, so, sometimes, things change or take a bit longer than expected."

You should really post this to reddit :)

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Microtransaction isn't really new to jagex. Their new game, war of legends, you need to pay £69 for 1000 jagex credits, and with these credit you can upgrade armour, buy chest and buy rare item that needs hundreds of hours of work to get without any jagex credits. Initally there werent much people buying jagex credits because frankly they were damn expensive. soon enough jagex started offering double top up weekend, triple top up day, and some amazing offers. This is where the game start to collapse. A small amount of people started buying mass amount jagex credits and their army grew and grew, while the rest of players gets conquered and quit the game. Now, two years since the release of war of legends, each server have about 30 active players out of 20k slot.

Thanks for the info, and yet another example of this mmo-killer pattern. This is exactly what I'm worried about, I'm yet to see a single exception where this idea doesn't becomes the reason a mmo dies or goes to zombie state.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

http://runetrack.com/profile.php?user=Starrychelx

Sad thing is I am 99% sure this guy will be using rwt money for that, have seen him boasting about selling some of his bank (is one of those 200b+ bank 20 phat set boxers) and would be surprised honestly if he was not selling some of his phats to get that 200$/day for runescape.

Look at his slayer xp gains... SOF has let him buy slayer with his phats.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

http://runetrack.com...ser=Starrychelx

Sad thing is I am 99% sure this guy will be using rwt money for that, have seen him boasting about selling some of his bank (is one of those 200b+ bank 20 phat set boxers) and would be surprised honestly if he was not selling some of his phats to get that 200$/day for runescape.

Look at his slayer xp gains... SOF has let him buy slayer with his phats.

Yeah, I recognised the name for that same reason. Basically if people don't mind breaking the rules, they can just stake for their gp, sell it, and buy exp.

Thanks for the info, and yet another example of this mmo-killer pattern. This is exactly what I'm worried about, I'm yet to see a single exception where this idea doesn't becomes the reason a mmo dies or goes to zombie state.

All of the above is interesting because

A) it sets precedent of J having already killed off one of its games and yet continuing on a potentially similar path anyway.

B) the Requiem game has more parallels to RS than immediately apparent. At RuneFest it was announced that Player Owned Ports would have you sending out ships in search of rare recipes and resources to create endgame equipment.

2dgucz6.png