HTML5 beta discussion

Urza285

They are doing decent with optimization. I am going to run lengthier test I the morning, but things are much more smoother.

One thing to note is the initial log in is much more smoother. Granted I still get the random wrong area loading at start, but it is corrected more quickly.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

With the awesome graphics and whatnot now I would be really interested in someone whipping out their Orb of Oculus and taking some pretty nature pictures for desktop backgrounds <3

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

On NIS right now, just discovered the ability to resize my minimap. However, you can stretch the bounds to be far larger than the actual map is.

What I'm wondering is when we finally have both NIS and beta, will RS3 with its seamless loading have the enlarged minimap fully filled in, possibly allowing us to run huge distances with single clicks?

• Like 2

2dgucz6.png

Not sure if this was posted yet, but I saw this, this morning..

Runescape 3 Detailed, Jagex Expanding MMO Franchise To Mobile And Smart TVs

The free-to-play massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), Runescape, has attracted over 220 million registered users since launching 12 years ago. Developer Jagex is readying a brand new iteration of the game, Runescape 3, which will be the first big title to embrace HTML5 browser-based technology.

According to Mark Gerhard, CEO of Jagex, the company will be expanding the Runescape experience beyond PCs. As early as this fall, the game will be going mobile, in part, thanks to the early adoption of HTML5 technology. With the proliferation of tablets and smartphones, gamers will soon be able to play the game while on the go. Gerhard also believes in Smart TVs, which is another platform the medieval fantasy game will be available on in the near future.

“Tablets and other portable devices are in the future as we extend this ecosystem to any and all connected devices,” said Mark Ogilvie, design director on Runescape 3.

Jagex, which is the largest independent game studio in Britain, has over 500 people working on its games. It was one of the early Western studios to embrace the free-to-play business model a decade ago, which has become all the rage over the past few years. The company has had success with micro-transactions to further expand revenues.

“2012 was an incredible year for us for Runescape,” said Gerhard. “We doubled the size of our team and made big investments into the game and technology. 2013 will be a breakthrough year for us again and we have a few other exciting games to talk about down the line.”

One of those games is Transformers Universe, a free-to-play game set in the Transformers Prime universe that the developer is collaborating on with Hasbro. The success of Runescape has opened the door for the company’s first licensed foray. And it’s using its technology expertise to deliver a brand new experience with Runescape 3.

Ogilvie said the technology behind Runescape 3 has changed the way browser-based games can be experienced today, even though HTML5 won’t officially launch until 2014. The game is running now on Google Chrome in HTML5 and Jagex is working with Mozilla to implement the game for Firefox in the near future. The game employs on-demand content streaming so the exploration of this massive world is seamless for the player.

“HTML5 gives us an improved in-game performance with almost no loading time, no loading bars, far better drawing distances, and a rich and vibrant feel thanks to effects like improved lighting, softer shadows and reflective water,” said Ogilvie. “This technology helps bring alive the narrative of the game and provides a more immersive experience for players, whether it’s the textures that bring sea monsters to life or the details in the water at beach parties or while fishing. There’s also a new color palette that complements the full range of environments in the game and a new sky box that brings the skies alive for the first time.”

HTML5 also features more customization for players, who can still create their own avatar but now build and customize their own house, move around the camera angle as they play and become an active participant in the game’s storyline.

“Runescape can be likened to board games or tabletop games or classic adventure games, as our humble beginnings focused on gameplay and narrative,” said Ogilvie. “The center of the game is the player avatar individually crafted with unique skills, experiences, wealth and possessions. But the variety and content is vast in this game. There’s the medieval fantasy experience like The Lord of the Rings all the way to comedic penguins like in Madagascar. There are over 50 motifs, which gives the game a theme park feel. The game encourages players to create their own equipment and experience. It’s more like life in that it’s less about winning the game and more about experiencing the journey through it.”

Jagex, which was founded on Java (it’s what the “ja” stands for in its name), won’t be abandoning its roots. The existing Java client will exist on the older browser engine to ensure backward-compatibility.

“Runescape functioned fine on 56k modems and 10-year-old computers,” said Ogilvie. “We also brought back popular older versions of the game for nostlagic gamers after 450,000 people voted for that. Those games run on the ‘old school’ server.”

According to Gerhard, there’s a diverse group of players that play Runescape around the globe in many different ways. As a result, the game has been able to attract both a hardcore gaming audience and more casual players, including female gamers. That approach should help Jagex as it expands this franchise across platforms. And it should serve the studio well as it ventures into the licensed game with Transformers.

http://www.forbes.co...-and-smart-tvs/

tFtfA.jpg

Interested to see how that fares without a mouse. Always wondered how people managed to play on a tablet without being frustrated at the controls.

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Most games are designed with that in mind, or do not require fine controls in order to play them.

RS will be interesting, especially considering that most things may be smaller than your fingertip

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Well, it wouldn't be toooo difficult to handle on tablets I think, but it might be a pain.. unless they make it more error proof..

EDIT:

Also, I want a Player Owned Port app..

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

"HTML5 also features more customization for players, who can still create their own avatar but now build and customize their own house, move around the camera angle as they play and become an active participant in the game’s storyline." I'm guessing this is just a journalist not understanding that we can already do that rather than hinting at a future update.

• Like 1
Hameigh.png

That is HTML5 itself, not the Runescape client. HTML5 is still very much in a beta stage, and the W3 Consortium (controls the standards + general oversight of HTML and other web languages) isn't going to release an official stable release "recommendation" (basically, standards for HTML5 documents and programs, meaning that they officially support it for use) until sometime in 2014. (See here)

So yes, RS3 with the HTML5 client is still on track for a Summer 2013 release.

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

Interested to see how that fares without a mouse. Always wondered how people managed to play on a tablet without being frustrated at the controls.

Wouldn't it simply be touch screen with 1-button use?

Obviously they could invent a mouse to work with Smart TVs though as there would be a cursor provided by the in-game control.

Honestly I feel people who want to play a game such as runescape solely on a touch screen want it simply because they can. Running runescape on a tablet with a USB mouse on the other hand would be awesome because of its immense portability.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Honestly I feel people who want to play a game such as runescape solely on a touch screen want it simply because they can. Running runescape on a tablet with a USB mouse on the other hand would be awesome because of its immense portability.

TBH, I bet most people who are students want it so they can afk skills during classes lol.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I didn't get into beta, and I'm running Linux :sad:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

The name escapes me, but the fmod who created a linux client for the Java version has been running the beta on linux as well. I believe support is still quite patchy though, since you are a bit at the mercy of the support for your hardware.

Yeah, I've got a linux java client working, and as soon as I have access to html5/NIS, I'll be able to fix up a different client for html5 too...

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Projected combination of both the NIS and HTML5 beta is at 2-3 weeks from now. You can find this information in the HTML5 beta dev replies thread. Also its a rough date so yeah...

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Just want to let people know I *think* they may have invited more people to play the New Interface System Alpha. I just received my e-mail and it is official!

It says that in the update post:

"Today, we've also opened up the New Interface Alpha to everyone who registered their interest (although you must still be a member in order to access the alpha)."