12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

As someone observed on another forum, this isn't a skill: it's an F2P marketing tool.

And so is Crafting, smithing, mining, attack, defence, woodcutting, mining etc

Your point:

none.

+ Saxon is right :P

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nay, you are assuming that this is it. This is the time when players should go on RSOF and suggest changes and ask questions. There are plenty of Jmods are at the forum at new releases and this is no exception.

Well, I'm thinking of a cartwheel that accompanies you at every level, where you store resources like sara brew and rocktails of unlimited quantity per item type, as well as tools like pickaxes, hammers, armours, such that you can replenish your stock before the start of each level. At the same time, litter the dungeon with fixed quantity of things like a 4-rannar patch, 10-monkfish fishing spot.....

In short, integrate what you have in the game into the dungeon, to break down the no-trade barrier between the new skill and the outside world. But considering that Jagex already wasted so much time re-creating those decent looking items that are functionless out of the context of the skill, what's the probability of my idea taking place? :?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

So if we are only playing the "tip of the iceberg" with the highest person being level 30, do you guys think it is fair to be judging the skill so early? I mean, it would be like judging summoning when you only had acess to the level 30 and below familiars (which suck for high levels).

You shouldn't underestimate the simplicity of a lot of people. A lot of people WERE judging summoning on the first few days it came out with people only using the first 40 lvls or so. The same is happening here. Just don't take them too seriously and get a good level yourself, then judge it.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

So if we are only playing the "tip of the iceberg" with the highest person being level 30, do you guys think it is fair to be judging the skill so early? I mean, it would be like judging summoning when you only had acess to the level 30 and below familiars (which suck for high levels).

You shouldn't underestimate the simplicity of a lot of people. A lot of people WERE judging summoning on the first few days it came out with people only using the first 40 lvls or so. The same is happening here. Just don't take them too seriously and get a good level yourself, then judge it.

Um... you should also remember that Summoning received a major retooling before it became the skill we all use now. Summoning 1.0 was not really all that, and it did suck royally in its first incarnation.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The difference between summoning and dungeoneering is, one has a overall major impact on the normal gameplay of RuneScape, the other is a mini-runescape within runescape that adds no value to the gameplay the moment you step out of the dungeon boundaries, except the 'rewards' that could have well been added to the game in one way or another.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Oh, and I don't think they spent two years on Summoning. Given the time and effort involved in this skill I think it should've been a lot better off the bat.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

[hide]

I think what kind of gets to me is

1) I don't see two years of work in this. Sorry, but I just don't.

2) It incorporates every other skill, but is a skill exclusive to itself. You can only train it in one place and only one way.

3) Like mentioned above, it's repetitive due to lack of training options. Even Summoning let you get some exp for summoning a pouch or making a scroll even if the main exp was from making Pouches. The problem with this is their is no other ways to train. Everything else, except Summoning, is seething with variety (hunting, mining, smithing, etc) this isn't.

As much as you may dislike the skill, I do not think there is any deny in how much work Jagex has put in this.

Second of all why is the lack of training option a problem? There are different ways you can do it, you can rush them or attempt to get every bonus multipliers, whichever you like.

I can't imagine all the time wasted to re-create a non-tradeable version of almost every single item in the game just to prevent 'imbalance', to be honest. Not to mention, raiding-like features of WoW is the endgame for every player, yet for this skill you're working your [wagon] off for what, level 80 gear and a few extra total levels? An oppotunity that could create a long lasting endgame content in RuneScape, wasted.

Nay, you are assuming that this is it. This is the time when players should go on RSOF and suggest changes and ask questions. There are plenty of Jmods are at the forum at new releases and this is no exception.

Well, I'm thinking of a cartwheel that accompanies you at every level, where you store resources like sara brew and rocktails of unlimited quantity per item type, as well as tools like pickaxes, hammers, armours, such that you can replenish your stock before the start of each level. At the same time, litter the dungeon with fixed quantity of things like a 4-rannar patch, 10-monkfish fishing spot.....

In short, integrate what you have in the game into the dungeon, to break down the no-trade barrier between the new skill and the outside world. But considering that Jagex already wasted so much time re-creating those decent looking items that are functionless out of the context of the skill, what's the probability of my idea taking place? :?

[/hide]

None :wink: , but what you are basically suggesting is the skill should have more impact on normal game play. Ask Jagex to incorporate the items or item effects into the larger world and see what they have to say about it. You know the FAQ Mod Em does every week? She may provide some feedback on it.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

It was very boring playing solo tbh. But it was fun playing with other people. The dungeons reminds me of Neverwinter Nights/Baldur Gate, those types of games.

The skill can't be use outside, and it is more like a mini-game skill. Kinda a let down new skill for me.

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

Having a blast so far but can`t help but feel short changed.

bleh, can`t sort my thoughts well enough to get my points across... but this could have been so much better and I don`t see a fix like summoning 2.0.

It`s just so weird how they decided to integrate this into the game

Things I dislike about this update.

1) Groups. You have to be in a team to do efficiently, others might not want to do it efficiently and the majority of RS' demograph can't tell their [wagon] from their face.

2) Skill interaction. As much as Summoning 1 may have sucked, it at least helped other skills. Moreso after Summoning 2 got released. Many skillers are probably gritting their teeth because of the lack of Mining/Woodcutting/Fishing/Hunter boosts you get from Summoning (Lava titan/Beaver/Granite lobster/Arctic bear). As well as Easier nature runecrafting or runecrafting in general (Spirit graahk/Abyssal lurker) and the assortment of other things (BoB's come to mind).

In this skill, the other skills help Dungeoneering, but Dungeoneering doesn't help the other skills. Not very great.

3) Rewards. Rewards from a skill? Sounds completely ridiculous to call 'em such but alas (I expect rewards from minigames, not skills). Moreso than anything though, I can't see at all why this "skill" might be appealing to me; I deem myself a skiller. There are 22 rewards, I counted. A massive ( [/sarcasm] ) 4 of those are NOT directly combat related. These being the Gem bag, Coal bag, Scroll of life and Anti-poison tome. The Anti-poison tome is pushing it, but I deemed it sufficiently not-combat enough (as there are a few skills that may cause poison). Out of all of those 4, only 2 might be deemed interesting (sorry, I do not see much use for a Gem bag nor for a Coal bag).

4) Isolation. The place isn't incorporated in the game at all. Even Agility allowed (since day 1) for multiple locations to train. Even Hunter. Sure, they might force you to start at the same place, but you could advance to others.

------------------------------

I'm looking forward to further ways of training this in the future; minigames (lol) or otherwise. Also, better rewards for people like me would be nice. And a solo option.

So hopefully, we'll have Dungeoneering 2 in a few months. As for now? This is probably the LEAST excited I've been for a new skill ever.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Remember how they said that this was going to be a game in itself, but they decided that the it would integrate perfectly in Runescape? :cool:

Well, it doesn't integrate with Runescape perfectly, or at all, and it turned out to be a game. A minigame... <_<

Well, I went from slightly disappointed to EXTREMELY OVERWHELMED :o Theres so much to like about this skill, but if it IS true that it has little implication on the rest on the game, then that should maybe be worked on. As for now, this seems a hell of a lot fun =)

And just enjoy the game, will you MHL? Can you atleast admit its fun?

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Well, I went from slightly disappointed to EXTREMELY OVERWHELMED :o Theres so much to like about this skill, but if it IS true that it has little implication on the rest on the game, then that should maybe be worked on. As for now, this seems a hell of a lot fun =)

And just enjoy the game, will you MHL? Can you atleast admit its fun?

She's right y'know.

It's a minigame, not a skill.

priest_wiz.png

It's not fun. It's dull and repetitive, even on members. God I could only imagine what it's like on F2P.

Back to Slayer. :thumbup:

It's not fun. It's dull and repetitive, even on members. God I could only imagine what it's like on F2P.

What level are you in Dungeoneering? :wall: :wall: :wall:

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Dull and repetitive? How much less dull and repetitive does it get? The dungeon is different every time for christ sakes! And so what if it resembles a minigame?

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Minigame or skill?

With regard to Dungeoneering being more like a minigame than what we expect from a more traditional skill: Good!

If being more like a minigame will mean that Dungeoneering might actually be *shock* enjoyable to train then I can only praise this new choice of direction. Given the choice between traditional skills such as Fishing/Woodcutting/Mining (endlessly extracting raw material from objects), Cooking/Fletching/Smithing/Crafting (using said material in production) and what little I know about training Dungeoneering so far, I would much rather have Dungeoneering, as I'm not the type of person that enjoys repeating the same gathering/producing actions over and over and over again ad nauseum. There are obviously some people that do enjoy repetitive tasks and their concerns over this skill are fairly legitimate, however I still feel that if asked what they find more fun, the majority of players would probably pick boss hunting/minigames over training traditional skills.

Take, for example, training Thieving. Personally, I'd much rather train Thieving through minigames such as Pyramid Plunder and the Sorceress's Garden than pickpocket the same NPC ten thousand times. Dungeoneering, to me, is an extension of the ideology that training skills should have enough variety to be at least somewhat fun.

Mutiplayer? In an MMORPG?!

In terms of this new skill being aimed at team play rather than players that like to play alone: Finally.

It may because I come from a background of multiplayer home console games where my favourite type of game is one that can be played with friends (read: Battlefield), but I actually enjoy the thought of gathering up a few mates and taking on a dungeon together. Runescape is, after all, an MMORPG, and so far there have been comparatively few group activities to partake in. My only problem with this multiplayer aspect is that I actually have relatively few friends that actually play Runescape, although I believe this is likely my fault due to the fact that I'm now 21 and it's quite difficult to find any mature players; the kind that aren't spouting out the latest internet memes every other second. dry.gif

So lonely..

My biggest concern, though, is that this skill seems a bit too separate from the main game to actually be called a "skill". If what I'm led to believe is correct, then relatively few of the rewards can be used outside of the dungeons themselves, and the skill itself is practically useless outside of Daemonheim? I am willing to believe that my problem with Dungeoneering's relative isolation compared to other skills is simply due to my lack of experience and understanding in the skill. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving what little time I've spent with the skill so far, it's just that, as Me Hates Libs said; "2) It incorporates every other skill, but is a skill exclusive to itself..."

Basically; I love the idea of this skill. It has real potential to be something fun which is a far cry from what we're used to from skills. As Unknwnwrrior says, the skill needs a few tweaks here and there, especially in terms of the way we use it with other skills/outside of Daemonheim.

I think I'll err.. stop writing now. I could go on all day about the ideas behind this skill, but I think I'll leave that to another topic, or make one myself if there's enough demand for such a thing.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

Part of this reads like a very old suggestion, the idea of playing Runescape with no access to your bank or ability to trade with other players. As you get better, more and more of the world improves. It's an amazing concept, and I like how they made it into a skill. This is equivalent of being dumped into the middle of Lumbridge with no inventory or bank, and only 4 other friends you can trade with. You can't "buy" your levels here. There's no santa hat sitting in your bank to sell so you can buy some great weapons and armor. It's just your skills and abilities you're bring to the table here.

Is it a mini-game? Yep. But so is Hunter and Slayer. Slayer was horrible upon release (could not change tasks, bottle necked tasks like bronze dragons, campers - which is still a problem). Hunter is still a mini-game that has yet to incorporate a way to hunt more than just hunting animals, such as trapping unicorns, bears, dragons, spiders, etc that populate the game world. Yet both skills are fun to many people, and slayer really has improved over the years.

As for the rewards outside the game, yeah, they're great but lacking. As one person already pointed out, these things are going to impact combat yet are based on skill level, which means PvP should either be left out or they should bring back Overdose potions. I also hope they create more "permanent benefits' like with the prayer skill. Plus, there should be a way to fully enjoy this skill as a single player even if that means "hiring" NPC's.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

The new game is dull and repetitive, so you are off to train a skill where you go to one room and kill 100-200 of the same monster, then get a new assignment and go to another area that will be exactly the same as it was the last 50 times you were there. How is that less repetitive? This is the most idiotic thing youve ever said.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON