Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of this would be a problem if people didn't feel the need to cheat in video games.

Yes but that's unrealistic thinking

In regards to removal of the GE and surviving before it, yeah, obviously we all lived without the GE (well a lot of us), but in the same regard, it made things far more convenient. I could survive without it again, but my god, I would throw a FIT if I have to go back to spending a half hour to sell slayer loot from the day in lieu of doing it passively while I continue slaying.

It won't get removed though.

I for one didn't stand against Jagex. I never pk'ed and didn't dish out partyhats willynilly so the changes didn't actually affect me. Infact I benefited with the grand exchange!

At least dragon bones should be cheaper if free trade returns. :lol:

asrhasrh.jpg

I really hope they dont bring back free trade.... It sucked you think merchants are bad now just wait. As far as the wild goes i dont miss it all it was people runnign away and clans. Let me remind those who played durring free trade and clue in those that didnt. Not only did you have to spend large amounts of time typing over and over again or posting on market place forums you often had to pay much more then the market value to the seller.

I really hope they dont bring back free trade.... It sucked you think merchants are bad now just wait. As far as the wild goes i dont miss it all it was people runnign away and clans.

lol, how were merchants bad with free trade, atleast then you didn't have to follow their prices....

rocko510.png

99 Cooking Since 10/19/10|99 Magic Since 2/13/11|

Quest Cape Since April 2011

I really hope they dont bring back free trade.... It sucked you think merchants are bad now just wait. As far as the wild goes i dont miss it all it was people runnign away and clans.

Merchanting was hardly as harmful as it is now. Merchants pre-GE bought an item from someone selling it for a low price and sold it to another person at a higher price. Same basic principle today but with one huge difference. When a merchant did that in free trade it didn't actually effect the price of an item. The item's price was kind of an accepted value to what players thought it was worth. If I remember correctly whips were at one point generally accepted to be about 1.5m. Merchants would find people selling them for that and go back and resell them for 1.7m. People bought them if they really needed them but it in no way effected the generally accepted price of the item to be 1.5m. Prices would adjust the same for updates and things but they were never set prices. You could buy them for what you and others thought they were worth. Not based on what the GE thought they are worth. This would take manipulating clans out of the picture. You can't seriously expect a clan to buy say dragon bones to a point that the generally accepted street value is very high because they bought them all. It would be a massive undertaking to buy out an item without the GE.

The GE didn't exist when free trade existed.

The ge came out in November 07 right? Free trade got removed in December...

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

One of the most interesting things about this vote is that 3 years and 13 days ago, Dec 10, 2007, our community stood together, as a whole, against the removal of free trade and the wild; and today here we are in the opposite situtation and our community stands harshly divided. For me those were some of the key things that defined runescape, and in a good way, and I'm for sure thrilled that they may be coming back.

Uh, we didn't stand as a whole against Jagex back in Dec '07. We were really divided back then, moreso than now, and the people who agreed with Jagex were probably in the majority, or at least they were making the more reasoned arguments.

This time, there's no debate, only one condition; If Jagex can fight the horde of cheaters in full 'free trade' swing, bring back free trade. If they can't, don't. It's a big bet, but I'm for it.

Back in 07 you believed jagex when they said (without any proof) that runescape would need to stop if free trade wasn't limited, didn't you? (BTW: the whole idea of wilderness removal was never a thing on it's own, it was only inevitable when free, player to player trade needed to be removed).

Why do people not believe jagex now when they say runescape CAN continue if free trade was implemented. (And face it: the removal of wildernes was a side effect that ought to be returned ASAP - they tried doing it with revenants but that failed. I have no respect or whatsoever for people who are playing to be a victim when going into the wilderness!)

It sounds so hypocritical.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Personally, I'd rather have some form of the GE then free trade. Doing P2P trading for every single thing is such a pain.

Hopefully it will be more like an auction house though.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

lol, how were merchants bad with free trade, atleast then you didn't have to follow their prices....

When I traded in World 2 Falador back in 2006 and 2007, you could easily tell who was driving the price of an item up out of a group. Merchanting wasn't a huge problem before limited trade and it won't if free trade is implemented again.

slayer_maik.png

99 Cooking - August 20th, 2010

99 Woodcutting - September 3rd, 2010

The GE didn't exist when free trade existed.

The ge came out in November 07 right? Free trade got removed in December...

Oh sorry I didn't check the damn records for exact dates. The point is still I don't think this will effect the buy/sell limits in the ge. Only no trade limits between players.

One of the most interesting things about this vote is that 3 years and 13 days ago, Dec 10, 2007, our community stood together, as a whole, against the removal of free trade and the wild; and today here we are in the opposite situtation and our community stands harshly divided. For me those were some of the key things that defined runescape, and in a good way, and I'm for sure thrilled that they may be coming back.

Uh, we didn't stand as a whole against Jagex back in Dec '07. We were really divided back then, moreso than now, and the people who agreed with Jagex were probably in the majority, or at least they were making the more reasoned arguments.

This time, there's no debate, only one condition; If Jagex can fight the horde of cheaters in full 'free trade' swing, bring back free trade. If they can't, don't. It's a big bet, but I'm for it.

That is pretty much the deciding factor. Can we put our trust in them to be able to implement it right, or are they caving to the pressure?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

That is pretty much the deciding factor. Can we put our trust in them to be able to implement it right, or are they caving to the pressure?

read my previous post (5 posts above)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I'm all for free trade, and I'm all for Jagex tracking the real value of items and I'm for the Wilderness returning for the most part.

However, I still don't get how Jagex is going to stop RWT enough to discourage the use of credit card fraud to make fake accounts. Are we going to start seeing enormous implementation of this fabled anti-cheating system? We know they're starting to reset stats of people using skill bots, but that's an internal matter. Do they actually believe they are now capable of noticing bot or sweat shop farming at the earliest stages that'll discourage organized crime from attempting this on RS?

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

read my previous post (5 posts above)

Back then, the reason was one which we could all see. Bots were abundant showing us how abundant RWT was. We could see how widespread it was and that it would obviously have an effect on the company. Now however, they say they can get rid of these. It would be believable if the game wasn't currently full of bots and RWT already. Before we could see with our own eyes the reasoning, but now there is no proof otherwise. They claim they can stop it, but if they could, why haven't they already? It is hard to put faith in them for that reason. It is not worth changing if we will end up back as square 1 and have to change back 6 months down the line.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

There was a 19 day period between the release of the grand exchange and the removal of free trade. During those 19 days free trade and the Ge coexisted. Why wouldn't it work again like it did then?

Low_C.png

In Soviet Runescape, updates vote for YOU!

Honestly this is just an annoyance for me: I doubt I'll be doing any more KBD slayer tasks, wildy clues will be a pain, and (Thank god I already have my qp cape) all the quests in the wildy will be more annoying than ever to complete. Meh, nothing lifechanging and I'll still play, but I prefer my gameplay free of other players attacking me (If I so choose to play that way).

I'm sorry you can't use the wild as a safe place to do your slayer tasks or commodity the KBD anymore. I'm sure the wild was meant to be a place to afk, grind, and skill like the rest of runescape.

Slayer tasks/KBD aren't in the wilderness. It helps to use examples that actually apply.

Most people who don't have access to kuradael would do their greater demon tasks in the volcano. Same with ankous.

I really hope they dont bring back free trade.... It sucked you think merchants are bad now just wait. As far as the wild goes i dont miss it all it was people runnign away and clans. Let me remind those who played durring free trade and clue in those that didnt. Not only did you have to spend large amounts of time typing over and over again or posting on market place forums you often had to pay much more then the market value to the seller.

Merchanting was not a problem at all during free trade. Speaking from experience since I was a merchant pre-08, what a merchant bought or sold an item for didn't affect the accepted market price of that item. Unlike today, where every offer in the GE affects the price, and merch clans can buy out items to make them go up. Thus, because nobody was forced to pay the merchant's price and the community decided what the market price was, merchants were powerless to affect the economy, whether they had malicious intentions or not.

That being said, if the GE stays, it should have no restrictions on it. I would rather it not have a recommended price on it either, but I could live if it did. GE with limits though would defeat the entire purpose of having it in the game with free trade.

Having finally laid at rest that there's little I can do to oppose this, it's making room for the contentment I'll feel when people get what they want and realise what a vile and crude thing 2007 actually was. People have been glorifying free trade and old Wilderness like hell these past 3 years, even the people who haven't or hardly experienced it.

Just you wait when those glorious days weren't as glorious as they were called. United community? I recall a community where people avidly cheered on hostile random events to kill people just so they could snatch their armour. PKing as it should? 90% of the PKing in the Wilderness consisted of killing defenceless people. Merchanting as it should? Enjoy your autotalkers or cramped fingers as people continuously repeat line after line ad nauseum to sell that Barrows armour they bought for 100K cheaper than they're advertising it. Correct prices? GE is the most correct price you can find, people were almost always over- or undercharging their products, don't expect skilling items to suddenly be affordable again. Actual risk? The only risk in 2007 was an artificially player-created risk that took advantage of newcomers' naivity and ignorance; don't honestly expect that this will breed a happier, more connected community.

Oh, I can't wait to see.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Having finally laid at rest that there's little I can do to oppose this, it's making room for the contentment I'll feel when people get what they want and realise what a vile and crude thing 2007 actually was. People have been glorifying free trade and old Wilderness like hell these past 3 years, even the people who haven't or hardly experienced it.

Just you wait when those glorious days weren't as glorious as they were called. United community? I recall a community where people avidly cheered on hostile random events to kill people just so they could snatch their armour. PKing as it should? 90% of the PKing in the Wilderness consisted of killing defenceless people. Merchanting as it should? Enjoy your autotalkers or cramped fingers as people continuously repeat line after line ad nauseum to sell that Barrows armour they bought for 100K cheaper than they're advertising it. Correct prices? GE is the most correct price you can find, people were almost always over- or undercharging their products, don't expect skilling items to suddenly be affordable again. Actual risk? The only risk in 2007 was an artificially player-created risk that took advantage of newcomers' naivity and ignorance; don't honestly expect that this will breed a happier, more connected community.

Oh, I can't wait to see.

Not sarcasm, I honestly cannot wait :smile:

omg i know, only thing that could be better is if they brought back rock/tree spirits and the shade and chicken.

Oh, I can't wait to see.

I doubt they're going to get rid of the GE, it will most likely turn into an auction house. The days of all the trade being in w2 fally is gone; besides, people use auto talkers NOW all the time in w2 GE, it's just as rampant now as it was back then.

GE correct? It takes (took) literally months for some items to finally meet their price. No longer do I have to wait 2-3 hours for freaking potions to go to DKs with because some damn merchant clan took them. People undercharge their products for a reason, fast sales... That's their choice if they want to lose out on 50k; and at least now they have an option! whereas sometimes if an item is being dumped they would have to wait weeks for their item to sell, when they would have gladly undercharged for it.

Not everyone understands the markets or can sit there and "snipe" an item. The GE and trade restrictions a lot of the time screwed the naive and new player.

--

I don't think the community is any better today. Back then we had clue killers, today we have brawler glove killers. We still have crashers who don't respect the "first come first serve" unwritten rule. We still have d-bags, and that's not because of any rules or regulations, that's because of the maturity levels, the ages etc... Back then things started going down the hill community-wise when all the mini-clippers came.

I don't worry. I think their claims of their systems being better is crap but I'm more than willing to take on a few more bots for this.

What the heck are you guys on about, Jagex is just bringing back free trade and the wild, not reverting the game version back to 2007. They're keeping the GE, without price limits. They're keeping gravestones. They're not going to bring back the old randoms. Yes 2007's community was majorly flawed, but so is today's. What's new.

All I need to know is free trade = no more godamned junk trading, manipulation clans, and unbuyable items. And full loot pvp might actually bring back some decent profit to pking, which will in turn benefit the whole economy as inevitably all/most skilling products are consumed by PvPers, and more profit = more pvpers = more demand.

In Soviet Runescape, updates vote for YOU!

Honestly this is just an annoyance for me: I doubt I'll be doing any more KBD slayer tasks, wildy clues will be a pain, and (Thank god I already have my qp cape) all the quests in the wildy will be more annoying than ever to complete. Meh, nothing lifechanging and I'll still play, but I prefer my gameplay free of other players attacking me (If I so choose to play that way).

I'm sorry you can't use the wild as a safe place to do your slayer tasks or commodity the KBD anymore. I'm sure the wild was meant to be a place to afk, grind, and skill like the rest of runescape.

Slayer tasks/KBD aren't in the wilderness. It helps to use examples that actually apply.

Hey bro, how about wait and see where/if they relocate the monsters in the volcano, since they said they will be relocating A TON of stuff.

Most people who don't have access to kuradael would do their greater demon tasks in the volcano. Same with ankous.

yes.png

Someone just made a thread on the RSOF about the vote where posters could vote yes/no.

It was locked before anyone could post. 16-17-667-62065131

haha. "official yes/no vote thread"

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010